Community Message Boards
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: How long does salsa verde keep?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    195

    How long does salsa verde keep?

    I've had an open jar in the refrigerator for a couple weeks. It looks and smells okay but I'm a little nervous about using it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In my heaven on earth
    Posts
    13,242
    I wouldn't hesitate a second about using it personally. Its quite acidic and the spicy qualities don't let much grow. If it has passed the smell test then I wouldn't worry.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cleveland , Ohio
    Posts
    705
    I also put mine in the freezer if I know I won't be using it right away!
    Good luck!
    Chari

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    195
    Perfect-thanks!

  5. #5
    As mentioned, the acidity of the tomatoes at least should keep the stuff going quite a while. Eventually mine will begin to grow a garden of white fuzzy stuff after it's been awhile since I used it... and then out it goes.

    If you freeze it, you might want to freeze smaller portions in small ziptop bags to get more use out of the salsa (I seldom use a whole bottle at a time anyway).
    Another thing that's handy is to pour the salsa out onto flat aluminum foil or a baking tray, etc., in portions... level out... then flash freeze, and put all frozen slabs in one ziptop bag after they've frozen. I haven't done this specifically with salsa though, so don't know if it freezes really hard and solid like most things will.


    Diane B.
    http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
    ---polymer clay "encyclopedia"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Un-American NY
    Posts
    8,611
    In this house?

    Not very long at all.

    Bob

  7. #7

    Smile Best place to start...

    ... is the expiration date. My Herdez' Salsa Verde's date is stamped on the lid.


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sauteed View Post
    ... is the expiration date. My Herdez' Salsa Verde's date is stamped on the lid.

    I would guess it's gotten moldy in 6 years!

    Reported.

  9. #9
    LOL! That's cute. Granted, this is an old, but still open thread and the answer remains fresh indefinitely, don't you think?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by sauteed View Post
    LOL! That's cute. Granted, this is an old, but still open thread and the answer remains fresh indefinitely, don't you think?
    No, it definitely does NOT remain fresh indefinitely, nor, to your earlier post, does the expiration date on the lid have anything to do with how long it will remain fresh after opening. Both of those statements are just wrong.

    The expiration date only applies to the product in an unopened, sealed condition, and once opened, salsa verde tends to go bad (grow fuzzy mold) within a month. Two weeks is generally fine, though. It's one of those foods that you can see when it's turned - no question about it.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Ann K. View Post
    No, it definitely does NOT remain fresh indefinitely, nor, to your earlier post, does the expiration date on the lid have anything to do with how long it will remain fresh after opening. Both of those statements are just wrong.

    The expiration date only applies to the product in an unopened, sealed condition, and once opened, salsa verde tends to go bad (grow fuzzy mold) within a month. Two weeks is generally fine, though. It's one of those foods that you can see when it's turned - no question about it.
    Well, you've certainly set me straight about opened jars of salsa -- and I thank you. However, I believe you misunderstood my "remains fresh indefinitely" statement in my second post. I was referring to "information"in the form of an answer, not salsa: e.g., information of value, like what you've just shared, DOES remain fresh indefinitely.

    ...and I stand by the statement in my first post: the best place to start, on general principle with any food, IS with the stamped expiration date. It's just common sense.

    FYII only stopped by to be helpful, not to offend, but evidently my posts were interpreted as the latter. MaryMorph was surly and apparently "reported" my post(!?), and you, Lee Ann, yelled at me.

    I have to say, based on my brief experiences here, there is nothing light about Cooking Light...

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by sauteed View Post
    FYII only stopped by to be helpful, not to offend, but evidently my posts were interpreted as the latter. MaryMorph was surly and apparently "reported" my post(!?), and you, Lee Ann, yelled at me.

    I have to say, based on my brief experiences here, there is nothing light about Cooking Light...
    If your intentions were indeed sincere, I apologize. We have had significant issues with spamming in the past and would like to avoid it again in the future. Typically, spammers resurrect old threads and mention products by name. They also have low comment counts. Your message fits all of these criteria, and that's why I reported it. If that was not your intent, again, I apologize.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryMorph View Post
    If your intentions were indeed sincere, I apologize. We have had significant issues with spamming in the past and would like to avoid it again in the future. Typically, spammers resurrect old threads and mention products by name. They also have low comment counts. Your message fits all of these criteria, and that's why I reported it. If that was not your intent, again, I apologize.

    I appreciate your explanation, and -- apology accepted.

    To address your concerns: no, I have no spamming agenda, no desire to sell anything, attack, inflame, disrupt, etc. I’m just a busy person trying to cook more efficiently and healthfully. I don’t have a lot of time to develop deep forum presences and l can understand now how my posts’ style must have seemed “hit-and-run” and triggered an overreaction.

    Actually, Google led me to this page on a search about salsa verde. I learned something from the thread, despite it being six years old. and figured someone else could too, so I left a general info tip that was ignored in the discussion – intended for the next Googler led to the page...

    At any rate, thanks for the clarification, and leave the light on; I’ll be back sometime.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •