In today's paper there was a recipe for this. I remember reading on Missindi's blog that her mom hasn't shared her recipe I thought I would post this so she has an alternative recipe

Serves 12-14

Nana used all lard in her crust, but this version uses part butter and part vegetable shortening. Any combination of meats can be used. Some recipes even use Italian sausage that has been removed from the casings, crumbled and cooked ahead. For the cheeses, I prefer to use firm mozzarella instead of the fresh moist mozzarella in water, and grated Pecorino Romano cheese, although some recipes use half Parmigiano-Reggiano. The ricotta should be drained overnight to remove any excess water.

4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

11/2 teaspoons salt

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces

2 large eggs, beaten

3 tablespoons ice water, or more as needed

2 pounds whole or part-skim ricotta, drained in cheesecloth overnight

3 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup grated Pecorino Romano

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

8 ounces firm-type mozzarella, cut into small dice

4 ounces pepperoni, cut into small dice

4 ounces prosciutto or other ham, cut into small dice

4 ounces salami, cut into small dice

2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled

1 egg, lightly beaten

1. Prepare the crust: Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in the shortening and butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle the 2 eggs over the crumbs and toss together by lightly stirring with a fork until evenly moistened. If the mixture seems dry, drizzle with a little ice water to moisten. With hands, gently gather the dough into a ball. Press the ball of dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate one hour or overnight.

2. Prepare the filling: In a large bowl, beat the 3 eggs, grated cheese and black pepper until well-blended. Stir in the ricotta, mozzarella and diced meats. Cut each hard-cooked egg into 6 wedges and set aside.

3. Place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the plastic wrap from the dough and cut off about quarter of the dough to use for the top. Re-wrap and refrigerate.

4. On a lightly floured surface (or a pastry cloth), using a rolling pin covered with a cloth rolling pin stocking, roll out the larger portion of the dough to form a 14-inch circle. Drape the dough over the rolling pin and transfer it to a 9-inch springform pan. Press it smoothly against the bottom and up the sides of the pan. If the dough tears (which it will), press with finger tips to repair.

5. Spoon half of the filling into the pan. Arrange the hard-cooked egg wedges evenly on top of the filling. Spoon the remaining filling over the hard-cooked egg layer. Smooth with a spatula.

6. Roll out the smaller disk of dough to a 10-inch circle. With a fluted pastry cutter, cut the dough into 1/2-inch wide strips. Lay the strips across the filling in a lattice pattern. Press the ends of the strips against the dough on the sides of the pan. Trim the dough, leaving 1/2-inch excess all around the rim, and fold the edges of the dough over the ends of the lattice strips. Press firmly to seal. Carefully brush the surface of the lattice with the egg glaze.

7. Bake the pie until the crust is golden and the filling is puffed, 1-11/4 hours. Cool the pie in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove the sides of the pan and let cool completely. Serve at room temperature. If making ahead, cool, wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Let come to room temperature before serving.

-- Recipe adapted from my family's recipe and "1000 Italian Recipes" by Michele Scicolone

Per serving:

580 calories, 28 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 35 g fat, 215 mg cholesterol, 970 mg sodium, 1 g fiber. Calories from fat: 53 percent.