Community Message Boards

Thread: Which model Foodsaver?

Which model Foodsaver?

I searched the archives but most of the threads on the models are older. There are so many different models to choose from. I'd like to buy one but I thought I'd ask for opinions first. I think I'll be using it to freeze meat I buy in bulk, berries, muffins, leftovers, etc. Are there special features I should be looking for?

TIA!

I like the canisters and mason jar sealer, so I would get one with a port. Some of the cheapest models only do bags and don't have the port. -sarah
    "Always serve too much hot fudge sauce on hot fudge sundaes. It makes people overjoyed, and puts them in your debt."
    Judith Olney

I can adjust the amount of air vacuumed which is great for breads and muffins (which have been previously frozen on a baking sheet). If you'll be using it a lot then I would invest in the Professional II (I think it's still called the II). The initial outlay is high (about $250) but it's made to be used on a daily basis.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I have a 1085 that I bought on ebay... I think the seller still has them. It didn't come with any accessories, so I bought them separately. It will do bags, has a port for cannisters, and I bought the mason jar sealers, both wide-mouth and narrow. The only thing I would like it to have is the holder for the bag material, and I'd also rather have the one that stays out on the counter, but you can tip it up so it doesn't take up that much room.

Enjoy
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I also have the Professional II. I love it but recently I went to buy replacement bags and all that I could find were so much more expensive than ZipLoc bags that I'm not sure I made such a good investment. It was more than double the cost of ready made bags. Am I just shopping in the wrong place?

Patt
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

Patt,
    The bags are expensive but you can buy the rolls and make your own bags.
    To do that you cut a piece, seal one end using the sealer and then it's the same as a premade bag.

I found one in Tuesday Morning. I love using the canisters with the port for flour and grains, but I freeze meat in the bags. I froze a cake in a bag and it totally flattened. I hated the texture but everyone else liked it.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Quote Originally Posted by patt
    Am I just shopping in the wrong place? Patt
    I understand Costco and Sam's have the bags at a much-reduced price. Any wholesale club probably would, too, as well as Kohl's. Ebay often has bargains, and you could probably find them elsewhere on line for less than grocery store/WM price...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I just went to a Tuesday Morning and found a Foodsaver V825 at Tuesday Morning for $50. They also had boxes of refill rolls and quart sized bags for $25. We're buying a chest freezer with part of Rob's end of year bonus he's getting in two weeks. I can't wait to be able to freeze bulk meats and produce. I'm also happy to be able to seal my fresh roasted coffee beans, cheeses and fresh produce. I haven't tried it out yet.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

I have an older model (V475). If i were to buy a new one I would get one of these:

Foodsaver V2440

It has a new "CrushFree" feature that lets you immediatly stop vacuuming and seal for baked goods and "moist" foods. This would come in REALLY handy!!! I have not done a search for reviews on this model but that feature sounds really nice.
    Life is Good

Imloulou,
    That is the one I ended up getting. I bake muffins and really wanted to be able to freeze them so the crush free setting was what sold me on it. I bought it at Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon. I haven't gotten the chance to use it yet, but I will report back when I do.
    Stacey

I haven't opened mine yet. I looked at reviews on Epinions and the reviews here. I don't think the one I got is adequate for how much I'm going to use it. I'm going to get the one they have on sale at Costco if it's the one with the crush proof feature. I would love to seal up breads. Rob and I do have some waste since it's hard to even go through a loaf of bread in a week. We make lots of croutons.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by ssgold
    Imloulou,
    That is the one I ended up getting. I bake muffins and really wanted to be able to freeze them so the crush free setting was what sold me on it. I bought it at Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon. I haven't gotten the chance to use it yet, but I will report back when I do.
    Stacey
    Please do report back. I am interested in hearing how well the crush proof feature works.
    Life is Good

Hi All-

Bringing this thread back up as I am considering getting this Foodsaver at Costco. Right now, in store with rebate it comes to $104 which seems like a good price. I have read the threads on Foodsavers and tried to search on line but can't find a reference to this one so I think perhaps it is a "special" model for Costco (like Hoover WIndtunnels-a thousand numbers for about the same vaccum depending on store...maybe a slight differnence like color or hose length).

My question to those in the know is...a. is this a good price for this package and b. is this a decent model? Live alone and hoping to more effectively freeze and package larger quantities of food...

Thanks in advance!

Sheila in MD

In case the link didn't work....it is:

Tilia Advance
    Food Saver
    PulseVac Control

$134.99
    Item # 906955

I think that is a good deal because of the canisters and bags that come with it. The machine alone could be that much anywhere else.
    I haven't used that model specifically, but the list of features looks like it is a newer version of the one I have. I love mine - but I haven't found the instant no-crush feature to be as "instant" as the name implies. When I seal breads and baked goods, I freeze them first. Otherwise, muffins end up looking like hockey pucks.
    I never imagined how much I would use my FoodSaver - and how much entertainment value it has! (I love to watch the air getting sucked out of stuff - but life is boring in East Central Illinois )
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Quote Originally Posted by cangoss
    I haven't found the instant no-crush feature to be as "instant" as the name implies. When I seal breads and baked goods, I freeze them first. Otherwise, muffins end up looking like hockey pucks.
    I never imagined how much I would use my FoodSaver - and how much entertainment value it has! (I love to watch the air getting sucked out of stuff - but life is boring in East Central Illinois )
    What a hoot! I like watching mine, too . . . gotta get out more. My kids like it, too. What does that say about our family's entertainment threshold?? (pretty low, it seems)

Have you had good luck with Foodsaving breads that have been frozen first, w/o using a no-crush feature? My older Foodsaver doesn't have this feature.

For you Foodsaver newbies: you can reuse the bags. Turn them inside out and wash in sink or dishwasher. I do this unless bag is really greasy (like from cooked ground beef or something similar). Also, for item that you'll use a little of & then reseal, make your own bag but make it several inches too long. You'll be able to cut off the sealed end, take what you need, & reseal several times b4 bag becomes too short to use.

I don't use the canisters, but I love the port for wine bottles (need to buy Foodsaver bottle stoppers).
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I have a v2490 from Costco (I believe the wholesale clubs have their own model numbers!) I actually preferred my old model, which I gave to my son. First of all, the new model has a channel that the bag must fit into to seal. This makes the waste at the top (above the seal) about double what it was on my old model. At the price of bags, this matters! The manual seal and pulse seal are nice, but I never used to have a problem freezing softer items on a cookie sheet and then vacuuming. Accessories can be purchased for any of the foodsavers.

All in all, I would say that if budget is a concern, any will do the trick if you use your noggin and plan. If budget is not a concern, well then go for the top of the line!!

That model looks like what I bought at BJs for $$99, which is just about the same price as Costco. I love the canisters....I have brown sugar, bread flour and other grains in them. It is so easy to unseal and then seal again. I prefer them to the bags, I must say the noise level is fairly high when it is automatically sealling.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami
    ...I prefer them to the bags, I must say the noise level is fairly high when it is automatically sealling.
    DH gets startled whenever I start vacuuming, so now the house rule is that I have to call out a warning: "Vacuuming commencing!!"

I got the Costco model about a month ago - no word of a rebate at that time! However, I still thought it was a really good price. I haven't tried any crushable items yet, though. DH has since seen the flip-up model and thinks we should have gotten that, but really I have tons of counter space so it isn't a big deal for me. But I think it's really important to be able to have it easily accessible, or else it won't get used as much, so I would definitely get the flip-up model if space was an issue.

Cool

I just got a foodsaver V2840 Advanced Design, today was the first day I used it. I love it so far, but have only sealed up a few packages of walnuts and cheeses. I have both the bags on the roll and the precut bags, used the precut ones today...i have taken this after taken all the foodsaver reviews by my friends..

Any issues with BPA with the bags? I was concerned about off-gassing when the bags were heated to seal them. Right now I'm getting by with Ziplock bags for my freezer needs.
    Chacun à son goût!