Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you marinate chicken and THEN freeze it?

Can you marinate chicken and THEN freeze it?

I'm trying to do as much prep work ahead of time for a party I'm hosting. We're having chicken kebobs and I already cut them up into pieces and I was about to throw them in the freezer and now I'm wondering could I marinate them too? The party is next w/e. Thanks.

Anna, if the chicken wasn't frozen previously, I think that would be a great idea. I have never done that but it sounds like it should work. I hope someone will post that this has worked for them. I will be watching this thread to find out. (Gosh, I don't want to sound like a stalker of this thread ) If you do this, let us know how it worked out.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I tend to marinate items in the refrigerator for the desired amount of time, then drain the marinade and freeze them. Overmarinating can ruin the texture of some meats, so I do it this way.

I'd actually freeze it in the marinade. Put it all in a bag, throw in the freezer. It won't marinate much before you freeze, but will marinate while it's thawing.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

I'm happy to have learned this trick! Good for camping/lake travels when you don't want to be handling chicken so much. I'll let it thaw with marinade and we'll have it the first night out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by badunnin
    I'd actually freeze it in the marinade. Put it all in a bag, throw in the freezer. It won't marinate much before you freeze, but will marinate while it's thawing.
    THis was exactly what I was going to suggest. I've been putting things in the freezer for the summer to have after our baby is born and I did this with chicken breasts - mixed up some marinade and threw it in a foodsaver bag with the chicken (some of which was frozen and some not) - it should marinate as it thaws.

thanks so much, that's exactly what i'm going to do. Anna

Just dittoing what the others said, I put the marinade and chicken in the bag,
    freeze it and then let it marinade while it defrosts in the refrigerator.

Chicken marinade?

What marinade do you use for chicken? I always thought marinade was just for cheaper kinds of steaks to make them tender. Man, do I have a lot to learn.
    "When the kitchen smells spicy and wonderful, it can only mean one thing...it's not my kitchen." --- Maxine

Quote Originally Posted by Max Sutton
    What marinade do you use for chicken? I always thought marinade was just for cheaper kinds of steaks to make them tender. Man, do I have a lot to learn.
    My favorite chicken marinade is a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and fresh herbs. (thyme and rosemary are the ones I use the most--use either or both) You can use this on whole chickens (stuff some lemon pieces inside and add herbs inside and also under the skin) or boneless skinless breasts.

Anna, I'm with Bethany. I'd put the marinade on the chicken right before I froze it. Marinating meat too long can make it soggy if you have a lot of acid in it--vinegar/citrus juice.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB