Community Message Boards

Thread: UPS, USPS, FedEx?

Question UPS, USPS, FedEx?

We receive a lot of packages (from UPS, post office, and FedEx), and in the 4 years I’ve lived here, I’ve never once had to sign for a package from UPS. They put it at the front door, ring the doorbell and leave. Thankfully we’ve never had one stolen yet (though there was a huge FedEx package that was misdelivered to a neighbor…that was a nightmare). At least with the post office it gets put in the locked box next to our mailbox.

So now that I have a lot of important documents to be sending, I’m wondering which is the best service to use?? For some reason I always thought of UPS as being superior to the post office, but if my documents don’t arrive to their location until after business hours, are they just going to leave these important documents at their door like they do at my house? Would I be better or worse off using USPS tracking? (which is only offered with their Express Mail at $14.40 and up) I don’t necessarily care how long it takes to get there; I just want them to arrive safely!
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

Some time ago, UPS changed their shipping document to add a box you can check (or sign, can't remember) that the receiver MUST sign for the package. Fedex is the opposite, where you have to sign to WAIVE the signature. I personally trust UPS or FEDEX over the post office any day of the week.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

'Round this way, UPS just leaves the package and runs. Even if the package is marked that it must be signed for. Doesn't make a difference. Sometimes they even hide it in the backyard or on my side deck -- but leave the really big, obvious packages on the front porch for all to see (and walk off with if nobody is home). They never ring the bell or knock (I have been home and seen the truck pull up but never hear them, then the truck leaves and I have to walk all over the yard to see if I can find what they left) I *HATE* UPS :mad:

DSL and FedEx are much better -- at least they let you know they've been there. Ad USPS will leave a form in the front door or the mailbox to say that they tried to deliver something.

I'd go with anyone but UPS...
    Galinda didn't often stop to consider whether she believed in what she said or not; the whole point of conversation was flow. -- Gregory Maguire: Wicked
    The only time a cold, blank stare is a correct response is when a stranger invites you to get better acquainted with his deity or the contents of his trousers.
    ----Miss Conduct, Boston Globe Magazine etiquette columnist

You might check, but I don't think that UPS delivers to businesses outside business hours. I've used UPS to send things both personal and for work and have never had an issue.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

My office mails important papers USPS Certified Return Receipt Requested. Then someone has to sign and you have the receipt to show who did sign if the recipient claims they didn't receive it.
    When you come to a fork in the road, pick it up and start eating.

Quote Originally Posted by momqat
    I'd go with anyone but UPS...

But..but..but...the shorts! the legs!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by PAMMELA
    Some time ago, UPS changed their shipping document to add a box you can check (or sign, can't remember) that the receiver MUST sign for the package. Fedex is the opposite, where you have to sign to WAIVE the signature. I personally trust UPS or FEDEX over the post office any day of the week.
    Ditto!

And, Bob, all the legs may not be worth looking at...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I hate UPS too. Our front porch has a gate (not locked) and they just toss the packages over the gate, including items marked "fragile", and they never have me sign even when I'm supposed to.

USPS can be so hit-or-miss, but I've never had anything go astray with the Certified/Return Receipt option that Ellie mentioned above. I end up using that frequently because the local post office is much more convenient to my house than the nearest drop points for FedEx or UPS.

I actually did end up sending my important papers today USPS certified (after a long discussion with the postal employees about certified vs. registered!) I didn’t need a return receipt this time, so it ended up being like $10 less than the cheapest UPS option….other than “maybe” getting there a day earlier, I wonder if there is any difference?

I also need to figure out what to do when I need to send prepaid mailers….especially when I don’t know what the exact weight will be. And again, it needs to be secure and reliable!

And the only reason I haven’t been really considering FedEx is b/c their closest office is still quite a drive.

(P.S. This is all relating to international adoption paperwork.)
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

I don't like UPS for the opposite reasons mentioned. Once it took me 2 weeks to have a package delivered to my house. Of course they only come during daytime hours, when there is nobody home, and if my landlord is out, back it goes because there is no one to sign it. Then they hold it in Brooklyn somewhere, in a place which is open...you guessed it...during business hours only. And they refuse to transfer it to Manhattan where it would be easier for me to pick it up.

I finally got it on 6th delivery attempt but I had to change the delivery address to my mother's house. I mean...I REFUSE to take a day off from work just because the UPS guy *might* show up.

If I could pick, I would go with FedEx any day. They are much more flexible while keeping safety in mind.

Angela

UPS is not supposed to leave the package at your door. At least that is what I was told, if it gets stolen you lose, they will not replace said package and what ever it was, whether it was a package from a store you ordered from or anything else it is gone if it is stolen.
    USPS doesn't even give you a chance to answer the door. They knock on the door and that's it.
    Fedex does leave the packages at the door and leaves a note (card) on the door where they put it. All someone would have to do is walk by the door, read the card and go take off with my package.

"locked box next to our mailbox."
    This is a good idea, if I ever move that is what I am going to do as I do not want my package left out for everyone to see and possibly take off with.
    Is is a metal box or wooden? I do know they have mailboxes that you can buy that you can place packages in but I forget how I did a search for it many months ago.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

I found it....

For some reason I saved the search I did on it, don't ask me why!! But it was a search for large capacity mailbox. Just in case anyone is interested here is a link to one
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by tea4one
    "locked box next to our mailbox."
    This is a good idea, if I ever move that is what I am going to do as I do not want my package left out for everyone to see and possibly take off with.
    Is is a metal box or wooden? I do know they have mailboxes that you can buy that you can place packages in but I forget how I did a search for it many months ago.
    Though I see you may have found an option I think the locked box they are talking about is when you have banks of locked mailboxes and there is usually 1 larger one for packages that they put the key in your mailbox to let you know you have a package. I know this option is becoming more and more prevelant, at least out here.

Robyn

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007
    Though I see you may have found an option I think the locked box they are talking about is when you have banks of locked mailboxes and there is usually 1 larger one for packages that they put the key in your mailbox to let you know you have a package. I know this option is becoming more and more prevelant, at least out here.
    Correct, I was actually referring to the community mailboxes.....ours has 4 locked boxes next them labeled A-D and whenever we have a package, the postal carrier puts the corresponding key in our mailbox. I forget that some people still have the old-fashioned kind of mailboxes!
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

I hate UPS too. I have for many years now. They suck! And JUST TODAY my mom had to call Macy's because my birthday present (jewelry) was to be delivered by UPS and they LOST the package. :mad: Thankfully, Macy's is overnighting another one.

I like Fed Ex. Remember that Fed Ex has joined with Kinkos so they have offices everywhere now. They are also cheaper than the USPS. I sent a package to a friend in Texas recently by USPS. I accidently miswrote the street number. It took 3 weeks for that package to get returned to me, and it was ripped to shreds. (the side of the box was torn off) Over $9 and it looked like it had been drug behind a truck. :mad: I sent it USPS because my friend had previous issues with her appartement office closing early and not accepting FexEx packages which caused issues. She since moved, so I'm waiting to resend the package. She knows I'm not using USPS again.

FedEx is really good with important papers. I've used them when I sold my house in Michigan. I've also used DHL because the realtor had a DHL account. I'm not that happy with DHL but that was because I had a huge issue with them a few years ago on a rush order on a banner where they completely fell through. I've heard they're a lot better now.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

International Adoption Paperwork!!! Now THAT'S a topic I know like the back of my hand!!!! (Just completed our paperwork for our 2nd daughter).

I use FedEx whenever I can (usually the consulates will only return via USPS in which case I've always just used Express Mail) and most also will only accept UPS or FedEx...will not sign for certified etc. Do check the websites of where you are sending to.

I use FedEx because they are closest too and because I can make all my labels from my pc and just drop it in the box.

I was always on pins and needles waiting for return envelopes from USPS because regardless of what they say you can't track it until it's been delivered somewhere...FedEx I can watch it every step of the way.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions, I love sharing the knowledge of gained out of all this paperwork!!!

And congradulations!!!!
    Kim
    "I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year: 'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.' And he replied: 'Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.' " --M. L. Haskins

I think your experience with UPS depends largely on who does your route. I had a GREAT UPS deliveryman in Chicago who would leave packages with my neighbors if I was not there but would not leave them out in the open. Otherwise, he would leave a notice stating exactly when he would be coming back the next day. In addition, if he drove back by the building (my building was on a major street) and saw the notice was gone, he would ring again to give me my package! Same thing if he saw me on the street (I walked everywhere)--he would pull over and ask me if I wanted to get my package then. On the other hand, I had nothing but BAD experiences with FedEx in Chicago, including them misdelivering packages, leaving packages on the SIDEWALK in front of my building where they were promptly stolen, and leaving notices without ringing the bell so I had to go pick up the package myself at a certain time at their HQ (which was far away from where I lived) and then find out that the package had not come back yet from delivery even though I had followed their instructions re: time!! I NEVER used FedEx in Chicago if I could help it. The PO was hit and miss on the delivery issues, but they never lost any of my packages. So, I think it really depends.
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226

But..but..but...the shorts! the legs!

Bob

Ack! You have not seen my UPS guy. Yikes!
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!