Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing meat in marinade ?

Freezing meat in marinade ?

I want to make up a batch of chicken using the Spice Chicken Skewers cover recipe from CL June 06, but since it is just me I wanted to freeze the raw chicken in the marinade. The marinade contains yogurt though. Is it a bad idea?
    You can call me Carrie.

Because of the yogurt I would not freeze it mostly because not sure of the effects on thawing the meat later on.

Carrie, I'd go ahead and try it! I love to freeze chicken/beef in a bag of marinade, to save time as it thaws... you might have some issues with separation due to the yogurt, but I don't think it will affect the end product. My $0.02.
    Skyline is the greatest thing given to man since fire. It's like heroin, only covered in about a half pound of cheese. -jking323

I'd be a little iffy on the yogurt being in the marinade, I think too that it would seperate. I have frozen meats in regular marinades and its worked fine and cut back on time.
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

I'm going to try it. I did a quick Google search and found some info on freezing yogurt - it will separate, but it can be stirred back together. Plus, I figure since the yogurt is there as a tenderizer it doesn't really matter too much if it is well blended and homogenous or lumpy and separated. If I remember, I will come back and post on the results in a few weeks.
    You can call me Carrie.

And the verdict is....it works just fine. The yogurt does separate in the freezer. But it doesn't affect the end product. The chicken is cooked over high heat, so any marinade that was still on the chicken at the time of cooking would curdle anyway. The flavor was great.
    You can call me Carrie.