Community Message Boards

Thread: Tres Leches Cake Question

Question Tres Leches Cake Question

I found a boxed cake mix for Tres Leches Cake so thought I would give it a try since I have heard how good this cake is. I prepared the cake and then the milk syrup to pour over but it seems like an awful lot of milk! I slowly poured more than half of it over the cake once I poked holes all over it and I ended up mopping up a lot of it off the table and cake plate. I don't want to add more if it's going to make the cake to wet or soggy. I used about 1 1/2 c. of the milk syrup and have about the same amount remaining. Does this sound right? The cake itself was baked in a 9 in. cake pan (single layer). Any tips would be much appreciated!
    For Recipes and Tips For Eating Well On A Budget Visit My Blog ~ Chef Michele's Adventures

Salt Lake City, Utah
    I've only made a Tres Leches cake once , watched it demo'd in a cooking class once, and only eaten it 4-5 other times - so for what it's worth...My recipe that is 9x13 size calls for 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1 can evaporated milk, ( what are those cans, maybe 11-12 oz?) and a 1/2 pt whipping cream for the milk mixture that you pour over. That seemed like a lot of liquid to me, but most of it did soak in. I have not seen a tres leches cake served on a cake plate before. When I take a slice of cake out of the 9 x 13 pan, there is a little liquid left underneath it. When I have eaten it in a restaurant, here and in Mexico, they have served it in a little ramekin of some kind to contain the "sauce" that doesn't soak in. Does this help? Darla

The amount of syrup sounds right. Normally you drench the cake while it's on a jelly roll pan or something with a lip, to keep the syrup from running over. Cover with plastic and then refrigerate for at least 3 or 4 hours before frosting. that give it time to soak up all that lovely syrup.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks to you both for the info. I used about 3/4 of the liquid but I also put a pineapple topping on top that is kind of "juicy" so I am sure some of that soaked into the cake as well. I think next time I will use a square pan. I used homemake whipped cream on top of the pineapple and will garnish with toasted coconut and sliced strawberries. Can't wait to taste it but it's for a lunch tomorrow so can't cut into it yet
    For Recipes and Tips For Eating Well On A Budget Visit My Blog ~ Chef Michele's Adventures

Delray Beach, FL
    When I visit my son in Miami, I always go for just a piece of Tres Leches which they sell at Publix by the piece...there is always liquid in the bottom of the container, even after it has soaked up lots of syrup.

"I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

In transition!
    IMO Tres Leches cakes are very soggy, or at least every one I've ever had was. I think that is sort of the point! So I wouldn't worry too much about overdoing it.
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child