Community Message Boards

Thread: Dried out Pasta Salad!

Dried out Pasta Salad!

I just need some advice in general on how you guys keep your pasta salad from drying out? I usually use an oil based vinegarette but most of the time the pasta has soaked it all up and come the next day it sticks together alot. What I usually do is boil the pasta and drain it, rinse with cold water and let it dry somewhat. After that I add the veggies,seasonings and dressing. What am I doing wrong?
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

I just read (cant remember where) about how to fix this problem but havent tried it yet. It said to completey cool the pasta before mixing in the dressing. If the pasta is still just warm, it will soak up the dressing leaving the pasta dry. If you cool/chill the pasta, it keeps the pasta from absorbing the liquid

laurie

Duh! I just remembered reading in Pam Anderson's Cook Smart that she spreads the noodles out on a baking sheet so they can cool off, hello its Monday! Thanks Laurie!

Also, you can reserve some of your dressing to mix in right before serving. For example, mix in about 2/3 or 3/4 of your dressing and mix in the rest later.

I also read somewhere to rinse with cold water and then rerigerate at least 30 minutes before adding the dressing.
    Sharon

I agree with the ideas here. I made a pasta salad yesterday following above directions ( rinse pasta and chill) & it was good yesterday & leftovers were still nice and juicy today.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

I just add a little of the dressing base to the salad the next day. My fave is a salad made with chicken stock, so I add a little of that back in... I'm going to try the other methods, though!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

That's where balsamic vinegar comes in----both to perk up the taste and wet the dried out pasta!

If you have a mayonnaise-dressed pasta salad that dries out, an old restaurant trick is to add a little milk to make it creamy again. I was surprised, but it works.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Thanks guys! I was thinking of adding chicken broth but decided against that. I like the adding milk idea!