Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Sides to go with filet mignon with mushroom wine sauce

Post ISO: Sides to go with filet mignon with mushroom wine sauce

I'm making dinner for this guy for the first time and I really want to impress. If I remember correctly, the filet mignon with mushroom wine sauce got rave reviews (although I haven't tried it myself). What side dishes would you make with that? I was thinking about grilled asparagus and some kind of starch. And for dessert, could you suggest something sinful but tried and true? And it doesn't have to be light either.

By the way, I searched through the Valentine's Day topics, but the postings wouldn't show. I got an error message on most of them.

[This message has been edited by NydiaC (edited 06-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by NydiaC (edited 06-26-2001).]

Yes, I have made this dish several times- it is wonderful! I have served it with CL's Vidalia onion risotto or garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus! YUM.

Hope you enjoy!

pmmahan,

Do you have a good recipe for the garlic mashed potatoes?

Here's a recipe for Grilled Asparagus, if you need one: http://www.cookinglight.com/articles...D=490&AreaID=5
    I haven't tried it yet but it sounds tasty.

Or there's also the Sesame-Roasted Asparagus from May '01: http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/Forum1/HTML/006702.html

Good luck with your dinner!

[This message has been edited by KathrynY (edited 06-26-2001).]

We made this with Garlic Mashed Potatoes. It was so good!

Are you looking for a fruity dessert or more of a chocolate type of dessert? One that might be good (and you could make it ahead) is the Mocha-chocolate Trifle. Something like a Dutch Apple Pie would also be a good dessert. You could make the pie ahead, too.

Two very chocolately impressive desserts are Eating Well's "Died-and-Went-to-Heaven" Chocolate Cake which has been reviewed a ton on the board. Here's a link to the thread with the recipe: http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/Forum1/HTML/005774.html Also, back in fall 2000 (can't remember which issue, sorry I'm at work) there was a Chocolate Souffle Cake with Turtle Sauce that was very easy and incredibly impressive. The Lemon-Swirl Cheesecake has gotten tons of great reviews here (May 2000) although I haven't tried it myself.

For sides, since green beans are in season right now you might try the green beans from the November '99 issue--I made these for Thanksgiving that year and they were a huge hit. If you want me to post any of these recipes just let me know and I'll do it tonight when I get home.

[This message has been edited by LGBurns (edited 06-26-2001).]

I second the idea of garlic mashed potatoes. Asparagus is also a nice dish. or you could have a medley of vegetables (microwave), a nice fresh garden salad, wine, and a nice dessert....Or you could have some big strwberries half dip in dark chocolate...Mmmm and if the night is nice sit outside and enjoy some after dinner drink or bubbly....If you have a deck put some lanterns in your deck, background music (soft)gosh you could even dance a bit by moonlight....Enjoy

Bailey -

Here you go:

Pommes Anna

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 pounds baking potatoes -- peeled, 1/8-inch thick
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter -- melted and divided
    1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley -- optional

Preheat oven to 450.

Combine salt and pepper in a small bowl.

Melt 2 1/1 tablespoons butter in a 10-inch cast iron or ovenproof heavy skillet over medium heat. Arrange a single layer of potato slices, slightly overlapping, in a circular pattern in pan; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt mixture. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon melted butter over potatoes. Repeat the layers 5 times, ending with butter. Press firmly to pack. Cover and bake at 450 for 20 minutes.

Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until potatoes are golden. Loosen edges of potatoes with a spatula. Place a plate upside down on top of pan; invert potatoes onto plate. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).

Calories 208 (23% from fat Fat 5.2g (sat 3.2g, mono 1.5g, poly 0.3g; Protein 3.4g; Carb 36.7g; Fiber 2.6g; Chol 14mg; Iron 0.7mg; Sodium 353mg; Calc 11mg

Description:
    "Potatoes Anna"
    Source:
    "Cooking Light magazine, April 2001, page 152"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 179 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat; (25% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 14mg Cholesterol; 246mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Trust the French to come up with a potato cake that is alluringly crisp on the outside and meltingly tender on the inside. Called Pommes Anna, this dish was created during Napoleon III's era and named after one of the lovely women at court. Traditionally made with enough butter to float the Normandie, we've made it with much less, which nonetheless produces a dish so rich and delicious, there's never a crumb left. Slice the potatoes by hand, by mandoline, or in a good processor.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

Talking

I would go with very simple roasted baby red potatoes w/ olive oil, garlic, sea salt, and rosemary. The grilled asparagus sounds like a wonderful veggie side. ...and for dessert, what about the CL Blueberry Crumble, only made with fresh raspberries? ...or you can never go wrong with chocolate, and that HL Died-and-Gone-to-Heaven cake is fantastic! Yum!

-Amanda

Just wanted to add that the Died-and-Went... Cake's glaze is not that great (in my opinion and others on the board have said so as well). I personally really like a mocha glaze on it and it would also give it a more upscale feel, I think. Or you could try a raspberry sauce.

I like the idea of mashed potatoes, too, but I might go with bleu cheese instead of garlic.

Pommes Anna (Potatoes Anna) from April (I think) was delicious and easy and would go great with your entree. It is only 3 ingredients, potatoes, butter and salt & pepper, it was so easy, delicious and beautiful. I would also choose roasted asparagus to round out the meal and colors on the plate.

Mashed potatoes & asparagus was what I was thinking too.

As for dessert - the CL white chocolate Raspberry cheesecake is amazing & fancy & you can make it ahead.

I just made a dessert recently that was very fancy & tasty too & relatively easy.

I made chocolate cups filled with homemade peach ice cream, topped with amaretto whipped cream & a Pirouline cookie. Really yummy, fairly easy, & you can make all of it ahead of time & assemble it when ready to serve. I can be more specific on the recipes if you want them.

Originally posted by goldilocks:
    Pommes Anna (Potatoes Anna) from April (I think) was delicious and easy and would go great with your entree. It is only 3 ingredients, potatoes, butter and salt & pepper, it was so easy, delicious and beautiful. I would also choose roasted asparagus to round out the meal and colors on the plate.
    Could you please post the Potatoes Anna recipe? I tried the recipe finder and it didn't find the recipe. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Bailey (edited 06-26-2001).]

Check out this thread for a recipe for pesto twice-baked potatoes that I love:
    http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/Forum1/HTML/006944.html

The menu that it comes from is posted on that thread as well, and is similar to what you have planned (a "meat & potatoes" kind of romantic dinner), so maybe it will give you more ideas!

Thumbs up

OOO... IT'S SO GOOD!!! you will impress the heck out of this guy! he may propose on the spot! i'd definitely do mashed 'taters and asparagus or green beans.

dessert? the meal is kind of on the wintery side, in my opinion, so you may want to brighten/lighten it up with the dessert. i like the cheesecake idea because you could pair it with some nice fruit.

You guys are great! ...So many WONDERFUL ideas. This is going to be fun!

I think I've finally decided on stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer, the filet mignon with wine mushroom sauce, sesame grilled asparagus, garlic mashed potatoes (the CL recipe search has a recipe that looks good -- if anyone has tried it, I'd love your opinion), and for dessert... drum roll, please... White Chocolate and Raspberry Cheescake that Danielle posted from Bon Appetit. (I'm debating on substituting strawberries for raspberries and having chocolate-dipped strawberries on the side--that could be fun too ).

We'll see if this tops the dinner he made for me on our first date -- steak and lobster. I think the chocolate dipped strawberries (maybe with chocolate fondue) might just do it).

[This message has been edited by NydiaC (edited 06-27-2001).]

Cool

Nydia,
    Good luck on your dinner...I think you have the main idea right...it'll be lots of fun...it is true that "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach..." I think the chocolate dipped berries just may do it!

Nydia: Your menu sounds great. You did mention the meat has a mushroom sauce and you are planning as appetizers stuffed mushrooms. Maybe you might want to adjust it so you are not serving mushrooms twice? (sauce and appetizers) Just a suggestion.