Community Message Boards

Thread: Celery Salt??

Celery Salt??

There's a recipe on Epicurious that I want to try, which calls for Celery Salt. All the reviews are great. Some gave substitutions and such, but no one said anything about "Didn't have celery salt, so substituted with______". Apparently, everyone had celery salt but me?

What exactly IS celery salt? If I don't have it, what's a decent substitution? (I'm praying that someone would say "Plain salt"?) And, am I truly the only person on the planet who does not have this in her pantry???

Thanks in advanced!
    Dahlia

Celery salt is salt combined with celery seed. You can use celery seed, but a bit less, as a substitute, but I'm betting you don't have that either.

Bob

celery salt Substitutes: ground celery seed + salt OR ground celery seed OR Beau Monde seasoning OR Bon Appetit seasoning

Celery salt is a staple for many. It can be used to rim glasses for cocktail drinks, such as Ceasar's (and added to the drink as well). These are very popular in Canada, but hard to find someone who knows them in the US.

Edited to add - What is the recipe you are wanting to make, and how much of it do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by funnybone
    What is the recipe you are wanting to make, and how much of it do you need?
    Here is the recipe I wanted. It had rave reviews on Epicurious:
    __________________________________________________ ______
    PORK CHOPS WITH SAUTEED APPLES AND APPLEJACK CREAM

3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    six 1-inch-thick loin pork chops (about 2 pounds)
    3 Granny Smith apples, sliced
    2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons applejack or Calvados, or brandy
    1/4 cup dry white
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/4 teaspoon celery salt
    1/8 teaspoon crumbled dried sage

1. In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over moderately high heat until the foam subsides, in it brown the chops, patted dry and seasoned with salt and pepper, in batches for 2 minutes on each side, and transfer them to a plate.
    2. Pour off the fat from the skillet, add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, and in it sauté the apples with 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar over moderately high heat, turning them for 3 minutes, or until they are golden.
    3. Add the applejack (or brandy) and the rest of the ingredients, bring the mixture to a boil, and add the chops with any juices that have accumulated on the plate. Simmer the mixture, covered, for 20 minutes (for 1 inch thick chops). Transfer chops and the apples to a heated platter.
    4. Cook the sauce for 1 minute, or until it is thickened, and pour it over the chops and apples.

Serves 6.
    Gourmet
    October 1990

The reviews give suggestions for applejack substitutions, but not for the celery salt

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226
    Celery salt is salt combined with celery seed. You can use celery seed, but a bit less, as a substitute, but I'm betting you don't have that either.

Bob
    Ah HAHHH!!

(Okay, don't laugh...)

I have 2 collection of spices: One that I keep in a drawer where each spice bottle was bought on an individual basis, on an "as-needed" basis. This drawer has a high turnover rate.

Then, there's my second collection of spices: a spinnable spice rack that was bought as one unit (bought it on a whim one day), which contains about 12-16 preselected spices. This spice rack is hardly ever used. In fact, I've told myself many times to just get rid of it since I've bought it (okay, here's the "Don't laugh" part) about 6 years ago.

Anyways! Guess what I found in this older-than-dirt collection?? Celery salt!!!

Okay. So, I know better than to use the dried herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano, etc...), since they're all basically wood chips by now... But... Did I read somewhere that SPICES have a much longer shelf life??

Would YOU use this ~6 year old celery salt that's never been openned ??

Celery seed is a good sub for sure.
    Also, I'd think you could go with a little bit of finely chopped celery (or even chopped celery leaves) if you don't have the celery salt or the celery seed. I'd add the celery when adding the apples so the celery has some time to cook down. I'd add the leaves when instructed to add the seeds.

Since the celery salt has never been opened, open it and smell. If you smell celery, go ahead and use it. If not, toss it.

Quote Originally Posted by funnybone
    Celery salt is a staple for many. It can be used to rim glasses for cocktail drinks, such as Ceasar's (and added to the drink as well). These are very popular in Canada, but hard to find someone who knows them in the US.
    I have it for bloody marys...

Quote Originally Posted by Meganator
    I have it for bloody marys...
    GUILTY!!!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

When you buy hotdogs in Chicago...they sprinkle celery salt on them if you ask them to
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Celery salt is a staple at our house (m)

it can easily be found in most grocery stores in the spice aisle. My kids absolutely LOVE homemade chicken salad. Their favorite version has only three ingredients: poached chicken breast meat, mayo, celery salt. I leave the fancier versions for when I have lunch guests. But I always season it with celery salt (whether or not I'm adding fresh sliced celery).