Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you can pesto?

Can you can pesto?

I have seen the many threads on freezing pesto in various forms, but can you can it?

Thanks in advance for help and info.

My guess would be no, not at home, because it wouldn't have the required acidity, plus it uses a lot of olive oil and parmesan, which would spoil quickly. I know flavored oils can develop botulism when cannad at home, so I wouldn't take a chance with pesto. It is great frozen, though!
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraB
    My guess would be no, not at home, because it wouldn't have the required acidity, plus it uses a lot of olive oil and parmesan, which would spoil quickly. I know flavored oils can develop botulism when cannad at home, so I wouldn't take a chance with pesto. It is great frozen, though!
    These were my thoughts as well.

I've frozen pesto before with good results, although I agree with the canning thing (at least with a water bath canner - I am not sure about pressure canning). If you freeze it, pour an extra bit of olive oil over the top to help it stay green.

Quote Originally Posted by juliew
    I've frozen pesto before with good results, although I agree with the canning thing (at least with a water bath canner - I am not sure about pressure canning). If you freeze it, pour an extra bit of olive oil over the top to help it stay green.
    Yep, that's what I do, and then once it's frozen I foodsaver it!

I don't think you're supposed to can anything with olive oil.

I save the small jars that artichokes and pimentos come in. I just freeze pesto in the glass jars. It works well for me...the pesto loses a little color but not much and it keeps for quite a while.
    Michele

Garnett had long known. . . that God's world and the better part of daily life were full of mysteries known only to women.
    --from "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver