Community Message Boards

Thread: Salad supper suggestions needed!

Question Salad supper suggestions needed!

Next month, because of the high heat, I am planning to serve a "nothing but" Salad Supper to 12-14 guests, not all are adults. Thankfully, I already know that none of them are "picky eaters"! I have already planned a Curried Chicken Salad, a Crab Salad, 2 vegetarian salads, Bow-tie and Couscous salads, and maybe a platter of deviled eggs (which always continue to be popular). I don't plan to make enough of any one recipe to serve 14, just maybe 6. Do you think I will need another meat salad, and maybe another vegetable salad? What breads? Croissants? Garlic French Bread toasts? What salads and/or breads would appeal to you? If anyone offers to bring something, I plan to suggest they bring a fruit, or sweet, salad.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Some ideas I can throw at you:

-Prosciotto-wrapped cantelope would be a nice addition to the salad theme, and a way to get more meat into the mix

-For breads, I would definitely have a bunch of multi-grain buns (might as well really make it healthy!). Crossaints I always associate with breakfast so personally, I'd stay away from those. Or a warm bread idea - what about flatbreads on the bbq, or a nice french bread cut in half, topped with pesto and cheese and melted on the BBQ? Or bruschetta?

Yep, Kansas in August is hot! IMO you don't need another meat salad & you have enough salad variety. Do you have someplace in your area that makes a good foccacia bread? How about some homemade ice cream for dessert with a variety of toppings? Someone brought this salad to cooking club last night. It's a twist on the old 3-bean salad & very good. I think it would be good served as a dip with tortilla chips.

Marinated Balsamic Bean Salad

1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
    1 cup frozen cut green beans
    1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans
    1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans
    1 cup diced red onion
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    2 Tbs Dijon mustard
    1 Tbs dried basil
    1 Tbs olive oil
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground white pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a colander; rinse and drain. Combine onion and remaining ingredients in a bowl; add corn and beans, tossing gently to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve with a slotted spoon.

CL - Sept. 1997
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Just a thought here.....

The Southwestern Chicken Salad from CL last year was a big hit in our house. It's more like a "salad bar" type with the guests building their own. Has corn, black beans, lettuces, cheese, ground meat, avocados, olives, etc. All sorts of goodies. A little involved with chopping everything, but quite good.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I'm making a red lentil and feta and beet salad tonight for dinner. I'll report back on it after we have it. Let you know if it's a good one.

Talking Good salad..

Ok, we had the salad last night. It was good! DW doesn't care for beets in any form, she says they taste like dirt, but she ate the rest of the salad just fine. Dressing is very tasty. There is some prep work in that you have to roast and peel the beets and also cook the lentils and let them cool and also cook the shallots and garlic for the dressing. But that can be done in the morning, or even the day before which is what I did.

Red Lentil Salad with Feta and Beets.
    4 small beets (~3/4 lb) The smaller the better so they will cook in the time allowed in the recipe. Mine took over an hour for 3/4 lb beets.
    1/4 cup grapeseed oil
    1 tbsp minced shallots
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    1 cup red lentils (about 7 oz)
    2 tbsp chopped parsley
    1 large bunch arugula (6 oz), leaves torn into bite size pieces. (They didn't have just arugula at the market when I went, so I got one of those salad blends that was mostly arugula. Worked just fine.)
    2 1/2 oz crumbled Feta. (Preferably French) (I've never seen French Feta. I just used what was in the store. Athenos brand.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wrap the beets in foil and roast them for about 45 minutes or until fork tender. Let them cool. Peel the beets and cut them into wedges.

In a medium skillet, heat the grapeseed oil until shimmering. Add the shallots and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until fragrant, about a minute. Add the cumin and fennel seeds and cook just until fragrant. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vinegar, lemon juice and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper and whisk until the vinaigrette is emulsified. (We have a couple of those Good Seasons salad dressing cruets. I just put all the ingredients in one of those, put the lid on, and shake like mad to emulsify. Works great!)
    Bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the lentils and cook just until tender. About 5 minutes. Drain the lentils and transfer to a bowl. Toss the lentils with about half of the dressing and let cool. Stir in the parsley.
    Toss the arugula and beets with the remaining dressing and season with salt and pepper. Mound the salad on the dinner plates and spoon the lentils on top. Garnish with Feta and serve.

Yields 4 huge servings.

I'd like to try this recipe. I made lentils once years ago and throught I didn't like them. I realize now that it was recipe I used, and not lentils, that I didn't like. Thanks for posting this Red Lentil Salad.

Thumbs up Hammster, Thanks for the recipe!

I made the salad, and I was pleased! I did have to make some changes, because I didn't have grapeseed oil and fresh beets weren't an option, within my time limit. This is the recipe (based on my changes).

Red Lentil Salad - Serves 4

1 16 ounce can beets, drained
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon shallots, minced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon cumin, freshly ground
    1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, freshly ground
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    1 cup red lentils
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
    1 16 oz pkg arugula salad blend
    4 tablespoons Feta cheese, crumbled

In a medium skillet, heat oil until shimmering. Add shallots and garlic, cook over moderately high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the freshly ground cumin and fennel seeds, cook until fragrant. Remove from the heat, whisk in the vinegar, lemon juice and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk, or shake, until emulsified. Bring lightly salted water to a boil. Add the lentils, cook just until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, transfer to a bowl. Toss with about half of the dressing, cool. Stir in the parsley. Toss the arugula blend and beets with the remaining dressing, season with salt and pepper. Mound on dinner plates, spoon the lentils on top. Sprinkle with Feta cheese.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Talking Glad you were pleased....

That's the beauty of most recipes. They are adaptable to what you have on hand or time for or what's in the market at the time. Since DW is not a fan of beets I never have canned ones anyway. So I went with fresh and I had set aside the time to be able to roast, cool and peel them. What's nice is you can do some of the steps as much as a day in advance with no damage to the salad.
    Next time I make it for the supper club I'm going to get a bunch of different colored beets and liven the salad up with the different colors. And since they are tossed into the salad, I may cut them into 1/2" dice, instead of wedges, for a change.
    Glad you liked it. I found it online when I was doing a search for spa recipes as that is the theme for our next supper club.
    I found it at www.foodandwine.com.

I made this last night and it was a big hit. I added steamed roma beans from the farmer's market, olives and cukes. Great summer dinner.
    -Susan
    * Exported from MasterCook *

PORK SALAD WITH MUSTARD-SOY SAUCE

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Leftovers Pork
    Salads - Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    MMMM-------------------------THE
    SALAD------------------------------
    2 c (approx.) mixed greens
    8 Slices cooked loin of pork,
    At room temperature
    1 Red bell pepper, seeded and
    Cut into thick slices
    MMMMM----------------------THE --
    VINAIGRETTE---------------------------
    2 tb Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 ts Soy sauce
    1 tb Fresh lemon juice
    1 tb Wine vinegar
    3 1/2 tb Olive oil
    1 Pepper

You can add all sorts of food you might happen to find in the
    refrigerator to fill this salad out - hard-boiled egg wedges, anchovy
    filets, black olives, red grapes, celery sticks, or cooked
    vegetables. Serve with warm toast triangles.
    1. Assemble the salad: Arrange the greens in the center of the
    plate and surround with the pork and pepper slices.

2. Prepare the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, mix the mustard
    with the soy sauce, lemon juice, and vinegar. Whisk in the olive oil
    and season with pepper. Drizzle over the pork and greens.

Serves 4.

From: LEFTOVERS by Kathy Gunst, Harper Perennial, New York.
    1991 Shared by: Karin Brewer, Cooking Echo, 2/93

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Be the person your dog thinks you are