Community Message Boards

Thread: Virgin Margaritas??

Virgin Margaritas??

I'm going to be having a baby shower for a co-worker and since we all have to work the evening of the shower, I wanted to make Virgin Mango Margaritas. What do I substitute for the tequila, triple sec, and Grand Marnier? Is it possible to make good virgin Margaritas?
    TIA
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

I don't have a virgin margarita recipe, but this punch is always a big hit.

Sham-pagne Punch
    (non-alcoholic champagne punch)

Ingredients:
    2-liter bottle ginger ale
    1-liter bottle sparkling water or seltzer (or half of a 2-liter bottle)
    12-oz can frozen apple juice concentrate, slightly thawed
    16-oz bag of frozen strawberries (whole or sliced) => "This can be doubled"

For easier mixing, put the apple juice concentrate in the punch bowl first. Gently stir in ginger ale and seltzer. Add strawberries just before serving.

Makes about 1 gallon of punch.

Fizzy Frozen Mock-a-Rita

1 10-ounce bag frozen strawberries
    1 6-ounce can frozen limeade
    1 12-ounce can lemon-lime soda

Place 1 (10-ounce bag) frozen strawberries, 1 (6-ounce) can frozen limeade, and 1 (12-ounce) can lemon-lime soda in a blender, process until smooth.

Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2003

Maybe you could sub frozen mango for strawberries.

Chari

virgin Margarita

Virgin Margarita Recipe

Ingredients:
    0.5 oz. Lime juice
    0.5 oz. Orange juice
    1.5 oz. Sour mix

Directions: Add all ingredients to a mixing glass filled with ice. Shake and strain into a chilled glass filled with ice.

So basically the proportions are 1 to 1 to 3.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm saving them for the future.

For this party, I'm committed to making the Mango Margaritas. Any suggestions for virginizing them?

Do you have a recipe for the Mango ones we could see to help? My first instinct is simply replace the triple sec with orange juice and just leave out the tequila. You're not going to be able to perfectly duplicate the taste since tequila has a distinct flavor.

Good luck!

BTW...I have to say that when I saw this thread, I thought , "What the heck? Who'd want a virgin margarita?"
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A
    ...I have to say that when I saw this thread, I thought , "What the heck? Who'd want a virgin margarita?"
    You have to admit there is a certain bit of "wry humor" in serving a VIRGIN margarita at a baby shower!

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A
    Do you have a recipe for the Mango ones we could see to help?
    Here it is. It's from this board but I can't remember who originally posted it. These are the BEST!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mango Margaritas!

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Beverages

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 jar sliced mangoes (26 ounce) undrained
    sugar (to rim the glasses)
    1 can frozen limeade concentrate (6 ounce) thawed and undiluted
    1 cup gold tequila
    1/2 cup Triple Sec or Cointreau
    1/4 cup Grand Marnier
    crushed ice

Spoon 3 tablespoons mango liquid into a saucer; pour mangoes and remaining liquid into container of electric blender

Place sugar in a separate saucer; dip rims of glasses into mango liquid, and then sugar. Set aside

Add limeade concentrate and next 3 ingredients to blender container; process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides.

Pour half of the mixture into a small pitcher and set aside

Add ice to remaining mixture in blender to bring it to a 5-cup level; process until slushy, stopping to scrape down the sides. Pour into prepared glasses; repeat with remaining mango mixture and ice. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 cups

Source:
    "CL BB"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ADM
    You have to admit there is a certain bit of "wry humor" in serving a VIRGIN margarita at a baby shower!

You're right!!

i also find it weird to have virgin margaritas at a babyshower... how come you planned that?

I would do the orange juice as Terri suggested and then if you need the additional liquid just use a lemon lime soda or ginger ale (might add another flavor dimension).

Quote Originally Posted by sesame
    i also find it weird to have virgin margaritas at a babyshower... how come you planned that?
    Why not? If the mom-to-be likes mango margaritas, I think it's a great idea! Or if you had a Mexican/Caribbean theme....

Baby showers aren't all teas and chicken salad!
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

I know you don't need another recipe, but I just came across this on on SL's website, and wanted to add it in case someone wanted it in the future. Of course using the juice for tequila to make it virgin.

Watermelon-Mint Margaritas

Prep: 10 min., Freeze: 4 hrs. Use leftover watermelon to make this slushy summer drink.

4 cups seeded and chopped watermelon
    Fresh lime juice
    Sugar
    1/2 cup tequila*
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon grated lime rind
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
    Garnish: fresh mint sprig

1. Place watermelon in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze 4 hours or until firm.

2. Coat rims of cocktail glasses with lime juice; dip in sugar.

3. Process frozen watermelon, tequila, and next 4 ingredients in a blender until slushy. Pour into glasses. Garnish, if desired.

*1/2 cup orange or apple juice may be substituted for tequila.

Yield: Makes 5 cups

Southern Living, JULY 2006

Quote Originally Posted by sesame
    Because most of us have to work right after the shower and we'd be fired if there was ANY hint of alcohol.

Thanks, Robyn1007 and Terri_A, I'll sub with oj. I wonder if I should just sub oj for the Grand Marnier, too

Funnybone, thanks for the additional recipe!!

I haven't tried this recipe but I thought it might help you doctor yours. Because you are using a juice concentrate, I don't think that water would take too much away from the flavor - so maybe you could use that along with the orange juice. Another thought would be to use mango nectar which I frequently see in the ethnic food section.

By the way, I don't think it is at all weird to serve virgin margaritas at a baby shower. I think they sound great and I may just have to try this recipe (with the alcohol of course ).

Virgin Mango Margarita
    Courtesy of H-E-B

Ingredients:
    1 (16 ounce) package Kern's Frozen Sliced Mangoes
    1/3 cup Hill Country Fare Frozen Lemonade
    1 1/2 cup water
    8 slices lime

Directions:
    1. Combine frozen sliced mangoes, frozen limeade and water in a food processor bowl. Process the mango mixture for one minute until the mixture is smooth and frosty.
    2. Divide the Mango Margarita into 8 margarita glasses and garnish with a lime slice.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by zackaboo
    I haven't tried this recipe but I thought it might help you doctor yours. Because you are using a juice concentrate, I don't think that water would take too much away from the flavor - so maybe you could use that along with the orange juice. Another thought would be to use mango nectar which I frequently see in the ethnic food section.
    Zackaboo, thanks for the recipe, and the mango nectar suggestion is a GREAT one!!

Quote Originally Posted by zackaboo
    By the way, I don't think it is at all weird to serve virgin margaritas at a baby shower. I think they sound great and I may just have to try this recipe (with the alcohol of course ).
    You've got to try them! They are SO good!! And, one time I had someone else bring the stuff to make them and she couldn't find mangoes. So, she substituted peaches and we had peach margaritas using that recipe. They were also VERY good!

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose
    You've got to try them! They are SO good!! And, one time I had someone else bring the stuff to make them and she couldn't find mangoes. So, she substituted peaches and we had peach margaritas using that recipe. They were also VERY good!
    Okay...twist my arm. I was thinking about heading to the Farmers Market this weekend for some fresh peaches. Looks like we might have to make these on Saturday afternoon...

Good luck with the shower!
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

I don't remember where I got this recipe but we really like it in the Summer.
    It's supposed to be a virgin peach margarita but I would think you could substitute mango and mango nectar very easily. These are delicious.

16oz canned peaches in juice
    6oz can peach nectar
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup lime juice
    Ice Cubes

Whirl in a blender until frothy.

Chocolate Rose,

I just wanted to pop into this thread again to thank you for sharing your great recipe for Mango Maragaritas. We made them this afternoon and they were excellent. We did halve the recipe but my husband and I still managed to polish off a whole blender-full!

Can't wait to make these again...