Community Message Boards

Thread: Meth

Meth

We have a friend who has an adult child who is addicted to this. Do you know anyone who has been addicted and been able to kick this aweful drug? This person is in a treatment facility right now and the doctors there are saying that there is no hope and may release him soon...but they said this, at the hearing, the day after he was checked in. So, are they saying that this person is addicted until it kills him? And that there is no hope except to watch him kill himself?
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

From what I know about meth, it is one of the hardest habits to kick - harder than any of the other drugs out there. Meth is also a weird drug...it doesn't affect all people in the same way. There are some who can die from a a very small amount and others who can continually tolerate large amounts. To be honest, I've never known anyone to be addicted personally, all I know is from what I've read in the news.

Good luck to your friend. This is tough to deal with!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I don't remember the details, but remember a presentation given by the drug counselor for our school district a few years back. Apparently meth does something to the brain that makes it continue to crave the drug. They showed MRIs of the brain and the affected areas glowed brightly. They showed later scans, and the areas were larger. I'm sure some people have kicked the habit, but it seems to be a tough one.
    Margaret

I think it's possible but the odds are stacked heavily against your friend for the reason Jazzmatazz mentioned.

Meth is a big problem here in ND. One of my co-workers has 2 children who have successfully recovered from meth addiction. It can be done, but it's extremely difficult, and the rate of relapse is high. Is your friend's son in treatment voluntarily? I would think that would be a big factor in how successful treatment is.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Your friends child can't be helped unless he/she wants to be helped - from someone who has seen someone close go thru a herion addiction, they were not able to be helped until they hit what they felt was "rock" bottom and truthfully wanted to be helped. I'm not saying this to discourage your friend from trying to help her child - as long as your friend is trying to help her child get better, that child knows someone is there for them when he/she wants or is able to ask for the help they need. I hope your friends child can see that theres more to life than the "druggie" way of life - good luck and keep up the support for your friend and her child. My thoughts are with them......

My former husband was a meth addict (and cocaine and crack cocaine and alcohol and who knows what else). If the person enters treatment voluntarily, that will make a big difference. It's a nasty drug. It not only affects the brain. He needed a liver transplant; unfortunately, he never stopped using so could not get moved up on the need list. He divorced me in 1994 so he didn't have to explain where he was or where his money was going (he was spending it all on drugs and spending all his time with his crack friends.) He died in 1998.
    I will say prayers for your friend.
    ~Snickers~

Meth will kill you.

Meth labs are everywhere in my area. The situation is so grave that billboards that look like the one below have been put up in an attempt to keep people from trying it.

DmOrtega Guest
    It can be done, I've seen it done, but the motivation must be stronger than the desire. For many, they don't have the willpower because it's just too easy to get a hold of. It's a scary drug. I will say a prayer for strength of spirit and for all of the help and support that they can get.

He committed himself. He went to a transitions place where he has gone before, but what they saw was something more than they could deal with. He never dreamed he would be sent to a state facility. The doctors there have said there was no hope since his first hearing, the first day that he was there. However, the judge who knows the family, said that he would get him the treatment that he needs. He cannot get out without going before this judge.

This boy...well, he is a young man is such a likable person when he is straight. He has so much personality and charm and we just love him to death. It has been distressing to everyone to watch him on this downward spiral. He had a business and lost everything, owes everyone. His family is working now to sell some of his possessions (with his permission) to try to pay these bills. They really are trying to do the honorable thing. It has just about killed his dad.

I am praying that his desire is great enough that if they can help him off of it, that he will stay off. It has been just terrible watching him slowly fade, just like the photographs that Gumbeaux posted. I watched Intervention last night and it gave me hope. The young man on that show has been sober since February 2006. We are hoping that his sister will be able to get him to start going to church. She feels that will help him, too. Our church has such a relaxed atmosphere, we feel that he would feel like he fits in and that would help as much as anything. Finding a home away from all of the addicts that he has run with. We have a ministry there with guys who have walked the road of addiction and we know they will reach out to him....they willl do that as soon as he is released.

Thank you for your good thoughts and wishes. It is just so sad watching a person who has such a good heart slowly commit suicide the way this guy is doing, and your prayers mean so much. Please pray for God to give him the strength to do what he needs to do. This can't be fun for him.
    Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I successfully quit using crack cocaine on December 1st, 1989 after a two year addiction...but meth is a completely different killer. Sadly, a lot of drug users think it's the same. They think speed is speed...and it's a not even close.

I'm very, very lucky that I did no evident physical damage to myself, or at least none that we know of yet. The chemicals used to make meth are so much harder for the body to eliminate, and from what I read the cravings continue.

I think it can be done, and I've seen people remain clean for years, but I'm told it's never easy. The past 15 years without cocaine have been a breeze, with no cravings or flashbacks, but I'm honestly not sure I could say that if I had been a meth user instead. I just thank God every day that even though I made a stupid mistake, I was smart enough to realize it before too much damage was done. My thoughts are with your friends.
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Congratulations Jewel! I'm glad you quit your habit and turned your life around!

Silly question but what's the difference between crack cocaine and regular cocaine?

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB
    Silly question but what's the difference between crack cocaine and regular cocaine?
    In my neck of the woods, we called the powder that you snorted 'cocaine'. 'Crack' was the result of cooking powder cocaine and another substance (usually baking soda) in a water filled test tube until a rock forms. The rock is smoked.

The actual definition could be completely different, but that's how we differentiated between the two. Meth can be snorted or smoked as well, but it's pure chemical, where cocaine at least starts out as a natural product. That does NOT excuse it and mean that it's safer to the body, by any means! But in my opinion purely chemical substances that can blow up a city block when mixed incorrectly are much more lethal. I've seen photos of what that poison can do to a brain, and it's killing our country.

I mentioned earlier that the last 15 years without it were a breeze, and I had to rethink that statement. They haven't been. The different forms of the drug carry different cravings. Disclaimer: I will never again touch drugs! That said....if I was at game night with a few of my friends and someone laid a line of cocaine on a counter in between rounds of Rumikub, I could probably do a line, enjoy myself, and not think about it tomorrow, or ever again. However...if that same person cooked up a rock and handed me a pipe? Within six months I'd be selling my husband's 1979 TransAm to get the money to keep me in the stuff. The drug is that lethal to me. I can never, ever touch the drug again.

I know my own weaknesses. I can lose 50 lbs and enjoy a healthy lifestyle, but leave me alone with a batch of Rice Krispy Treats and 20 minutes later the pan will be empty and I'll be licking the goo off the inside of the pan. I can go nearly 16 years without crack cocaine, but I know that if I smoke that stuff again, I'll become hooked again even after all of these years. I learned my lesson and I'm here to help anyone else who is going through it themselves. My heart aches for the families it tears apart.

The thing that I don't understand about Meth is that it is so toxic. The news about it has been around for so long, that it is just hard for me to understand why anyone would do it the first time? And it isn't a cheap thrill either, is it? After using it for awhile you get these huge running sores on your arms and maybe other places. He took to wearing long sleeve shirts. Would pour bleach on his arms, according to his sister.

Is there no fear of meth to keep people from trying it? Do they think that it affects everyone differently and that the bad effects won't affect them? It happened to him but won't happen to me sort of myth about meth?

Around here, the police have a task force and busting meth labs became a big time business. They went from busting a couple a week, down to 1 every few months or so. They have done an exceptional job. We had a motel have a meth explosion not far from us. Blew half of the motel up.

One suspect, from the explosion, got away. A couple of weeks later, the police saw him. The mother of one of my school children was with him, a chase ensued, the car wrecked and she was killed instantly. He is still in jail. The mother was, too, was a troubled person, who left behind two wonderful children.

My nephew was caught selling. He had 19 grams of meth. He says he isn't a user, just couldn't find a job and needed somey to live on. His girlfriend, who he told me was innocent and is not a user of anything, (just not very bright) was just riding him around, had her car confiscated and she doesn't know if she is going to get it back. He has been a troubled spirit since he came into our family (he is adopted) and is facing major prison time.

It is just such a terrible drug. People complain about having to sign for cold medicines here, but I am glad that we have the law. It is keeping these individuals from operating their meth labs or at least making it harder for them. A small price for me to pay as far as I am concerned.

Joyce

I did jury duty on a meth case. They explained how the drug is made and explained it's so addictive that once you try it you can't wait to do it again.

It does have scary ingredients.

I understand what you're saying about cocaine being natural Jewel.I've had friends try coke and never do it again and I've known recreational users. Nobody is a recreational meth user.

Another thing about meth, if I recall correctly, is that it can get into your system through skin contact. When I attended a drug lecture in which we actually got to see samples of the various drugs out there, we had to hold the bag of meth with a pair of tongs, as it was possible for the drug to traverse the bag and enter our system via the skin. Pretty freaky stuff!

(I say if I recall correctly because it might not have been meth. I just know it was some drug)
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie
    Is there no fear of meth to keep people from trying it? Do they think that it affects everyone differently and that the bad effects won't affect them? It happened to him but won't happen to me sort of myth about meth?

Joyce

I think that probably has a lot to do with it. I also wouldn't be suprised if a majority of meth user have used some other drug before. In that case, it's probably much more akin to "trying the new candy flavor" to them than it is trying a major addictive substance that is nothing like what they've had before. I mean, we wouldn't think twice about trying a new candy bar that sounds good to us, right? It's probably the same line of thinking.
    Erin

-generic

Quote Originally Posted by ErinM
    I also wouldn't be suprised if a majority of meth user have used some other drug before. In that case, it's probably much more akin to "trying the new candy flavor" to them than it is trying a major addictive substance that is nothing like what they've had before. I mean, we wouldn't think twice about trying a new candy bar that sounds good to us, right? It's probably the same line of thinking.
    I think this is a part of it. In my last job, I watched one of the contractors I worked with spiral down until he left to go back into a treatment facility. He was in his late twenties and had already gotten clean twice. He said that he started with crack, but supposedly the high and the cravings for meth once he started was completely different.
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Is meth the same as "speed"?
    Christie

Quote Originally Posted by ChristieinMB
    Is meth the same as "speed"?

Yep, it goes by the the name of crank and speed in its less pure forms. There are a multitude of other names for meth.

I would stress that speed is a less pure form of Meth---it's kind of like saying a Yugo is a less pure form of a Porsche or a Jaguar. And if you're comparing it to what was commonly going around in the 60s or 70s under the name of "speed," that's more like comparing a kid's little red wagon to a Porsche, from what I understand.

The thing that I don't understand about Meth is that it is so toxic. The news about it has been around for so long, that it is just hard for me to understand why anyone would do it the first time?
    From what I understand, Joyce, the first time someone takes meth, they get the most incredible high they will ever have in their life. I guess the lure of that high outweighs the risk, for most users. Unfortunately, it's the need to recapture that high that keeps meth users coming back.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

The thing that I don't understand about Meth is that it is so toxic. The news about it has been around for so long, that it is just hard for me to understand why anyone would do it the first time?
    We've all heard about people who smoke two packs a day for 75 years and live to a ripe old age of 90 before they die of natural causes. Then someone like Dana Reeve who has never smoked dies of lung cancer.

Anything can be justified, and there is no set rule. "Just because it happened to him doesn't mean it will happen to me. Sure, Mom, you TELL me that meth is poison and you show me photos of someone's brain, but John has been smoking it for five years and he's fine!" Too many people, teens and adults alike, think that this is like any other drug...I can have my fun for awhile and I'll stop before it gets too bad. I won't get addicted, I'm just going to use it socially for a buzz. There is no social, fun, and non-addictive way to use meth. Most are addicted after the first use. It's so easy to say "just one time" or even "just one MORE time"...I do it all the time with those damm Rice Krispy Treats. The only good part about those things is that they won't kill me. I'm not making light of the meth issue by saying the addictions are the same, but the mentality that causes the addiction is. Some people pick drugs, some food, some of us have experience with both. I'm just thanking God that I'm sticking with marshmallow...

Joyce - Did you happen to Oprah yesterday? It was a repeat, but it was a whole show about Meth users and those who had gone through rehab. None of them were that far out from treatment, but it did give a feeling that there's more hope than what's been stated here.

I'm sure that what everyone has said is true to some degree, but I think we also have to remember that public service organizations will be trying to make this drug sound as hideous as possible to scare the public away from this drug. So, this truly is a terrible drug, but perhaps there is more hope for rehab than you might think - it's just that everyone wants to put the worst case scenario out there to get the message out to stay away from this drug.

Of course this is purely conjecture on my part, but it is not always a good idea to make or listen to such broad generalizations. For instance - survival statistics for cancer. You can't always base your own chances for recovery based on the broad generalizations and published statistics. There are far too many factors contributing to each patient's survival or death to tidy everything up into a neat little number. If you did take it to heart, you might give up hope and not fight.

Anyway, I just want to put out there that there IS hope. The only way to get through something this big is to believe that.

Take care,
    Alysha

He was released yesterday after being in for only a little over one week.
    Apparently the judge, who had promised the family that he would see to it that he got the help that he needed, didn't have as much power as he let on that he did. We are all saddened by this.

Jewel, your analogy made sense. You answered my question.

I was so hopeful when he went in. He thinks he is cured.We can only pray. He did agree to go live with his sister, (who is a nurse) for a little while, so she can keep an eye on him. Everybody really likes this guy, it is just so sad.

Joyce

He has my prayers, Joyce.

DH's father spent time in jail for meth production. He was addicted, obviously, but has been clean for about six years now.

There is hope.
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

I honestly hope that I didn't make it sound like there was no hope for recovery from the addiction to meth. After all, I'm proof positive that one can come back strong from drug addiction and live a happy and somewhat healthy life! I agree that public service organizations might take liberties in how they portray this drug and it's addiction, but I don't think it's wrong by any means. Anything that can be said or done to point out the severe dangers of meth or any illegal substance I will support. Too many people think that it simply can't (or won't) happen to them. I applaud anyone who has come back from any form of addiction.

Joyce, I truly hope that he continues to seek help on his own. If he truly wants to change his life, he will. With your family's continued support, he has his soft place to fall. You're all in my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel
    I honestly hope that I didn't make it sound like there was no hope for recovery from the addiction to meth.
    I don't think you did. I just had to chime in because post after post made it sound so bleak. I don't have any personal experience and I'm no expert, but I do know that things put out to the general public tend to be packaged into sound bites in order to have the greatest impact. I don't want to negate the possible horrible consequences of getting involved with this drug, but I also would not want people to think there is no hope for a loved one.

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso
    I don't want to negate the possible horrible consequences of getting involved with this drug, but I also would not want people to think there is no hope for a loved one.
    I agree completely... Sometimes when you're talking about a subject that's near and dear, the passion can get away from you. I also agree there's hope, but like anything else it's a slow process that takes dedication and faith.

......and I just hope that he has that dedication and hope that you all speak
    of. He has been to prison for drugs before and I thought that experience would change him. His dad gave him a fairly good business, that had he worked a little of it instead of hiring it all out, he could have made about 80,000 a year and he ran that into the ground, not paying his taxes that he collected from checks(not paying any bills).....Well let's just say that there was a lot of money to be spent on drugs. His company is gone and he has some former employees who are really unhappy with him.

And now he has nothing. Absolutely nothing.... and, like I said, I just hope that he has that dedication and hope of which you all speak. Maybe this is his rock bottom. We can only hope and pray.

Thanks for all of your kind words. As usual you have ben wonderful!