Community Message Boards

Thread: Chipotle in adobo (sp?)- where to find?

Chipotle in adobo (sp?)- where to find?

In what section of the grocery store do I find this? I have looked in 4 different stores and have yet to find this recently popular ingredient. I haven't ventured out to Trader Joes or Whole Foods yet, and am wondering if these are the only stores I will find this in? I've just been looking in my normal grocery stores. I've been checking the mexican isle, canned vegetables, and the pickles/jarred peppers isles with no luck.

I have been a lurker on these boards for about a month now, and have finally decided to organize my cookbooks so that I may participate in the Sunday game (looks like so much fun)!

Any help in finding the chipotles would be greatly appreciated!

Kristen

In a typical supermarket, you should be able to find these with other Mexican/Hisapnic products. I don't know where you live, but if you have Meijer stores, they typically have an "International" aisle, and they are usually there in the Mexican section.

All that said, it might just be easier to find these in a Mexican market, if you have one nearby. They might also be cheaper there, as a find some of those markets to have canned tomatillos, tortillas, and other products at a cheaper price than standard supermarkets. Hope this helps...let us know when and where you eventually find them!

--another Kristin

I get mine in the Mexican Aisle of my normal grocery store or I pick them up when I am at my local Mexican Produce Store. I saw those in Cans and in small bottles.

Good Luck finding them!

Hi! Glad you "de-cloaked" from lurking!
    At my market, the chipotles in adobo are in the mexican aisle, but shelved with the "true" mexican foods (the La Preferida beans, etc, not the store brand of refried beans and salsa, if that makes any sense). It's a smallish can (the same size as mushroom stems & pieces) and for some reason, at my market they're on the top shelf. Go figure. Here's one popular brand:

Welcome to the boards, Kristen!

You will usually find canned chipotles in the mexican food section of the grocery store. If you can't find them at your regular grocery store, TJ's or WF should carry them (I think). They keep almost indefinitely in the fridge once opened, so you shouldn't need to buy them very often. I have no trouble finding them in my remote part of the US (Bismarck, ND), so I'd be surprised if you can't find them where you are.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

This brand is common too

Thanks for the help! I live in Northern NJ, and am shocked that I can't seem to find them. I will look in the mexican isle a little closer and stay away from the "old el paso" and other normal brands, and try looking through the lesser known brands. Otherwise I'll make the 30 min drive to Whole Foods or the 20 minute drive to Trader Joes and buy a couple cans to "stock up".

Thanks for the warm welcome too! I just discovered cooking light magazine with their special summer issue "fresh and easy" or something like that. I loved that it was organized by various produce that summer brings us! I have made the Blueberry Crumble 6 times in the past few months! its sooooo good.

Back to organizing my cook books

Kristen

ps I'm 24 years old and embarassed by the number of cookbooks I have at my age. But after reading a prior post and seeing some of you have 500+ I don't feel as bad

If you have trouble finding certain ethic foods at your local grocery store, you can buy from online grocery stores such as this Mexican store.

Last edited by Gumbeaux; 07-30-2006 at 09:46 AM.

I would first ask at the store. Maybe they stock them in a lesss than obvious place.

Welcome to the boards!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Welcome Kristen!

I would just like to add, when you open a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce you will only use a few. You can puree peppers and sauce in the food processor and freeze in ice cube trays, then zip loc them for the future.

Good luck in your search!

Chari

Unless I have missed them (quite possible), I don't think I've seen Chipotles in Adobo at Trader Joe's.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

In case you just can't find them anywhere, here is a recipe I got from the boards...

Chipotles in Adobo Sauce

"Chipotles in adobo are chipotles that have been stewed in a lightly seasoned liquid. They have become very popular in Southwestern cooking because the provide a distinctive warm heat and delicious smoky flavor. They can be added to almost anything, including breads, sauces, salad dressings and pastas. Although you can buy canned chipotles in adobo (look for them in markets that specialize in Hispanic foods), this homemade alternative is far superior and is very easy to prepare."

7 to 10 medium-sized dried chipotle chilies -- stemmed and slit lengthwise
    1/3 cup Onion -- 1/2-inch slices
    5 Tbs Cider vinegar
    2 Cloves garlic -- sliced
    4 Tbs Ketchup (I use Muir Glen or homemade)
    1/4 tsp Salt (I don't use these days)

1 Combine all of the ingredients in a pan with 3 cups of water. Cover and cook over very low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the chilies are very soft and the liquid has been reduced to 1 cup. This recipe will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
    2 For chipotle puree, place the cooked chipotles and sauce in a blender and puree. Put through a fine sieve to remove seeds.
    3 Makes 1 cup.

Servings: 16

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 7.1 calories; 3% calories from fat; 0.0g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 78.4mg sodium; 29.2mg potassium; 1.9g carbohydrates; 0.2g fiber; 1.1g sugar; 1.7g net carbs; 0.1g protein; 0.1 points.

Recipe Source
    Author: Mark Miller

Source: "The Great Chile Book"
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Thanks for the recipe! I will deffinatly make them if I have no luck at Whole Foods!

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal
    In case you just can't find them anywhere, here is a recipe I got from the boards...

Linda in MO posted this recipe and I am forever grateful since I can now use chipotles with no aded salt and my homemade salt-free ketchup!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!