Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing Corn...how do YOU do it?

Freezing Corn...how do YOU do it?

Just wondering what method YOU freeze your corn...
    I blanch mine for a very few minutes, put the ears in cold water, drain, and cut from the cob, and bag it.
    Has anyone tried freezing it WITHOUT blanching it?
    Will be interesting to see the different ways... Thanks!!!

I use the exact method that you use. I've never tried it without blanching. The corn has been great this year and I have a few bags in the freezer. May do some more.

Usually we do the whole blanching thing, cooling and cutting off. However, a couple weeks ago I was at my mom's and she was getting really impatient with her stove. We would all be sitting poised at the kitchen table with knives in our hands waiting for the water to get hot enough to blanch the corn. My grandma told us that her sister-in-law cuts the corn off the cob raw and cooks it later. So, in order to give us something to do, we started cutting the corn raw off the cob. Once the corn was cut off, we added water, butter and sugar (I think) to the corn and we cooked it for a very small amount of time. You then spread the corn out in pans with fans blowing to cool off the corn. My mom really liked the fresh flavor. I haven't had any yet, but it's a nice alternative to all that mess with heating and cooling the corn.

Quote Originally Posted by laurachoc
    Usually we do the whole blanching thing, cooling and cutting off. However, a couple weeks ago I was at my mom's and she was getting really impatient with her stove. We would all be sitting poised at the kitchen table with knives in our hands waiting for the water to get hot enough to blanch the corn. My grandma told us that her sister-in-law cuts the corn off the cob raw and cooks it later. So, in order to give us something to do, we started cutting the corn raw off the cob. Once the corn was cut off, we added water, butter and sugar (I think) to the corn and we cooked it for a very small amount of time. You then spread the corn out in pans with fans blowing to cool off the corn. My mom really liked the fresh flavor. I haven't had any yet, but it's a nice alternative to all that mess with heating and cooling the corn.

That's really interesting. I think that you need to cook it for a small amount of time to deactivate any enzyme that might continue to degrade the quality of the corn. Your grandmother's sister-in-law's idea sounds great. I think that people of our grandmother's generation "put up" a lot of food on a regular basis so I'm sure it would work. I'm supposed to be getting some corn from my CSA this week and might give it a try.

Thanks for sharing.

Bonnie

I have friends who freeze the corn right on the cob. They blanch the corn, then drain and let it cool. Then each ear gets individually wrapped in heavy duty foil and placed in a freezer bag with it's mates. I was pretty leary about eating their frozen cob corn... we tossed the frozen ears into boiling water and cooked them for about 10 minutes, and it tasted as fresh as the day they were picked- it was great!

They have kids who love corn if it's on the cob- but refuse to eat it cut off, so that's a great way to get their kids to eat their corn. They pull out as many ears as they need at one time.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I've noticed majority here blanches the corn then freezes it. Is there any particular reason why? I've never frozen fresh corn and have wanted to.
    I'm glad I came across this thread because I LOVE fresh corn, and they had a sale on them, 4 for $1 at a produce stand so I grabbed 8 ears of corn and wondered if I could just shuck(sp?) them and throw them in the freezer.
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Patissac, fresh corn continues to ripen after it is picked. You notice that the freshest sweet corn is sweet, but after a few days, the sugars convert to starch, and the corn loses its sweetness and becomes almost gummy. Blanching the corn stops the conversion process and preserves the sweetness.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Cool Freezing Fresh Corn

I'm a southern gal and we pass recipies / ideas / tips around like nuts at a shower! Today, after I bought a crate of fresh yellow sweet corn, I was told that it is okay to freeze the ears still in the shuck...simply cut off both ends and remove several of the outter layers of shuck.

Has anyone ever heard of this method for freezing corn for corn on the cob? Sure is much easier, and I plan to try an ear or two after about a week in the freezer. Would appreciate any response.

Thanks

zaFreebird

Lone dissenter here...I've tried blanching on the cob, off the cob, shucked, unshucked, you name it.

Then last summer in a fit of impatience I just cut the kernels off the fresh corn, bagged it in 2 cup portions and tossed it in the freezer. I used it all winter in fresh salsas, salads and as a side dish...it was very, very good. So much faster and easier!
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

What do you all freeze your corn in? Zip lock bags?? I worry about the taste of the plastic affecting the corn. Does this happen or do you notice this?

I'd love to freeze corn this year but have never done it. Does anyone use the foodsaver type thing?
    Cheryl

In the past I've just used ZipLock freezer bags. I've never noticed a plastic taste on any plastic bags I've used...ever. And I microwave frozen foods right in the bags (i.e. rice I've prepared ahead and frozen).

I just got my FoodSaver so am still playing with it...I will use it for the corn today and report back. I've had the best success so far with fresh foods by freezing on a cookie sheet for a few hours, then vacuum sealing.

And a belated THANK YOU to all on this BB who contributed to my decision to get the Foodsaver...I'm having a wonderful time with it! All those tidy packages in my freezer and fridge...
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

My experience was when we raised more Illini Super Sweet a year than anyone could eat. If you start with the top quality corn, you do much better.
    Rule 1: Pick them in cool of day when they are at their prime; not over the hill
    Rule 2: Have water boiling before you go out to the field to pick.
    Rule 3: Have ice water bath to draw temperature down after blanching.

We froze on the cob. We loved at Thanksgiving being able to serve corn on the cob that still squirted its juices at your neighbor.

I have frozen corn in foodsaver bags. It works fine, and I think the corn stays good longer than in ziploc bags (I usually get enough over the summer to last us most of the winter). I have found that, no matter how careful I am to make sure the kernels are dry, or freeze them spread out on a cookie sheet first, they do tend to all stick together in a big clump when they are vac-packed. I try to freeze in single-use size bags, so that won't be an issue. If I need less than what is in a single bag, I find a good whack on the counter or floor will loosen up the clump (and let out some frustration in the process) .
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Quote Originally Posted by shscharles View Post
    In the past I've just used ZipLock freezer bags. I've never noticed a plastic taste on any plastic bags I've used...ever. And I microwave frozen foods right in the bags (i.e. rice I've prepared ahead and frozen).

I just got my FoodSaver so am still playing with it...I will use it for the corn today and report back. I've had the best success so far with fresh foods by freezing on a cookie sheet for a few hours, then vacuum sealing.

And a belated THANK YOU to all on this BB who contributed to my decision to get the Foodsaver...I'm having a wonderful time with it! All those tidy packages in my freezer and fridge...
    Good to know about the plastic- I quit buying frozen veggies in the plastic bags because I couldn't stand the taste of that plastic.

Can't wait to hear more about your Foodsaver!
    Cheryl