Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Uses for lemon basil?

ISO: Uses for lemon basil?

My herb garden is something of a disappointment this year -- my fav herbs are not doing well and the mistakes are doing great! Among the mistakes is a flourishing lemon basil plant. (I thought I was buying a sweet basil plant.) I know Martha Stewart thinks lemon basil is great in lemonade....but does anyone have any FOOD recipes for lemon basil? I'm thinking it should be good with fish....thoughts, ideas, recipes?

TIA.
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

You're right about the fish. I make a simple marinade of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and slices, ground white pepper, and chopped lemon basil and use it with tuna steaks. Marinate for about a half hour.

I once used lemon basil in iced tea and didn't really care for the taste.

Also the lemon basil is wonderful in pasta primavera! A different, subtle taste.

I will re-post if I can think of anything else. But I'm jealous-- my lemon basil died while my Thai basil is now a bush!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

I used lemon basil in the Talapia with Citrus Bagna Cauda recipe going round the boards right now and it was outstanding! Really made it shine...

I agree about using it with fish, and anywhere else you might have occasion to otherwise perk things up with a little lemon rind or a squirt of lemon juice. Helps to intensify the flavor.
    Galinda didn't often stop to consider whether she believed in what she said or not; the whole point of conversation was flow. -- Gregory Maguire: Wicked
    The only time a cold, blank stare is a correct response is when a stranger invites you to get better acquainted with his deity or the contents of his trousers.
    ----Miss Conduct, Boston Globe Magazine etiquette columnist