Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I Substitute Cottage Cheese for Ricotta

Question Can I Substitute Cottage Cheese for Ricotta

I'm attempting to put together Barefoot Contessa Corn Pudding from what I have on hand...the only item I'm missing is ricotta cheese.

I have cottage cheese. Would this be a good substitute? I've checked on line and found references to substituting ricotta in place cottage, but haven't found any reference re: substituting cottage for ricotta.

Any experience or thoughts? Thanks.

What's the recipe? (if you have it readily available)

absolutely! if the cottage cheese is a little watery, just drain it a bit! I use cottage cheese in my lasagna if I can't find ricotta.

And I think I'd either throw it in the blender or hit it with the electric mixer to break up the curds & make it smoother.
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

Here's the Recipe

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sagaponack Corn Pudding

Recipe By :Barefoot Contessa Family Style - Ina Garten
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 pound unsalted butter
    5 cups fresh corn kernels -- 6-8 ears, cut off cobs
    1 cup onion -- chopped
    4 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 cup half and half
    1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 cup ricotta cheese
    3 tablespoons fresh basil -- chopped
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    3/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3/4 cup cheddar cheese, extra sharp -- grated
    extra cheddar cheese -- to sprinkle on top

Preheat the oven to 375. Grease the inside of an 8-10 cup baking dish.

Melt butter in large saute pan and saute the onion and corn over medium high heat for 4 minutes. Cool slightly.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, and half-and-half in large bowl. Slowly whisk in cornmeal, and then ricotta. Add the basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked corn mixture and grated cheddar. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle the top with more cheddar.

Place the dish in larger pan and fill the pan halfway up the sides with hot tap water. Bake the pudding 40 to 45 minutes, until the top begins to brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by suebear37
    And I think I'd either throw it in the blender or hit it with the electric mixer to break up the curds & make it smoother.
    I'd probably do this and think it should be fine.

Here's Why I Love This Board!

I just put the corn pudding in the oven, complete with the cottage cheese. I'd used the food processor to grate the cheddar cheese. I just emptied processor of cheddar and gave the cottage cheese a swirl, just as recommended. I think it's amazing that I posted the question at 4:01 and it's already cooking!

Make sure you let us know how this one tastes. It looks good. I also have everything to make this one, except the ricotta. I do have cottage cheese though. I may give this one a whirl myself!

Definitely let us know how you like it. It looks like a recipe that I would could make with my kids at school.
    Beth

"A teacher who says, 'I am a good teacher,' is in trouble. A good teacher is frequently troubled, in doubt, frustrated. Perfection doesn't exist. Everyone needs help." (Amelia Gambetti)

Corn pudding turned out wonderful! I've made this before and have always enjoyed it. This was the first time I made a substitution. Thanks to everyone who helped me through the ingredient crisis!

Nice to know it worked out fine! I have this recipe to try, it looked so good when she made on her TV show! Yum!
    Thanks for the review, cottage cheese and all!
    Ana