Community Message Boards

Thread: Looking for recipes to use Penzey's Balti Seasoning

Looking for recipes to use Penzey's Balti Seasoning

I am usually pretty good at searching (here and google, etc.), but I have been unable to come up with any recipes that use Penzey's Balti Seasoning.

I LOVE indian food, and my absolute favorite dish is Matter Paneer (Peas and Cheese). When I smelled the Balti seasoning at Penzey's, it smelled just like this dish to me so I had to buy it.

I have never made Peas and Cheese before, and all the recipes I found for peas and cheese don't call for Balti seasoning. But whatever they use in the restaurants I go to sure smells like Balti.

But anyway, I'm not looking necessarily for a peas and cheese recipe, but just anything that uses Balti seasoning. I figure whatever it is, if it tastes like that stuff smells, it'll have to be good!

Thanks in advance for whatever you can come up with!!

Hi Grace, I have a recipe for Balti Chicken from Penzey's 1998 catalog. Would you like it?

I would love to see ithe recipe. I have the seasoning. I agree it smells wonderful but have only used it once.
    Julie Davis

Yes, it does smell great. I use it in whatever I want to give a curry flavor. It is listed as a curry in their catalog. I have been receiving their catalog for over 10 years and saving all their recipes. They are not all catagorized, so this is the only one so far using Balti.

Balti Chicken

2 lbs chicken breast or 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless
    3 TB Balti Seasoning
    1-2 tsp. Garam Masala (optional)
    3 TB water
    2-4 TB vegetable oil
    1-2 cups broccoli (can add carrots and beans if desire)
    1-2 cups sliced mushrooms
    1 large onion, minced
    32 oz can diced tomatoes
    1/3 cup ground almonds
    2 TB lime juice
    1 cup yogurt
    1/2-1 tsp salt
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1 TB dry

Mix Balti Seasoning and Garam Masala with water, set aside. Rinse chicken pieces, pat dry. Bone and skin chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces. Peel and mince onion, set aside. Preheat a large, deep pot, wok, or karahi over medium heat, add 1 TB oil, heat, add fresh vegetables, stir fry 3-5 minutes until browned a bit, remove with a slotted spoon or tongs and set aside. Add 1 TB oil, heat, brown chicken in two batches, cooking about 3 minutes per batch. Add 1 TB oil between the batches of chicken if necessary. Remove the chicken to the bowl holding the vegetables, then add minced onion and cook until quite brown, about 5 min. Push the onions to the side and add the Balti-Garam Masala mix, stirring in the pot until it starts to stick and blacken, then add the can of tomatoes with its juice. Stir to blend, reduce heat to medium low, add ground almonds, lime juice and the chicken and vegetables, making sure to add any juice that accumulated in the bowl. Stir well to blend, then add yogurt a spoonful at a time, mixing thoroughly. Simmer over low heat about fifteen minutes (the Balti will be done at this point, but it can simmer for longer if desired). Add 1/2 tsp salt, taste, add the other 1/2 tsp salt if desired. Garnish with chopped Cilantro. If using dry Cilantro, sprinkle on a few minutes before serving to give it a chance to rehydrate. Serve with Roti
    Serves 6-8. Prep time 30 min. Cooking time 30 minutes

From Penzeys catalog-1998

That looks great! Thanks so much cookieeee! I am going to print this one off and put it on the menu. I checked Penzey's website for recipes, and didn't find anything. They have no search mechanism for recipes. :mad: I appreciate you taking the time to post it for me.

I'd love to see more if anyone has them!

i also have their balti seasoning, as part of a set of eight curries, yum! i made the balti sauce on the package (with tomatoes and lime), which i liked over grilled fish with basmati rice, but i don't have the recipe here at work. i'll type it up from home later, ok?

but if anyone has any other suggestions, i'd love to have them, too. i haven't found too many uses for the curry blends so far, since so many recipes call for the spices individually. i guess i just need to improvise more with indian cooking, but i haven't made too many different types of dishes yet.

Hi, I just wanted to let you all know that I sent Penzey an e-mail about their website. I told them about what happened here. I asked if they couldn't improve their website to include more recipes, especially using their spice blends. It might help if you all could send them one also. I think we are spoiled here This is a great website.

I will be working on their recipes today. If I find any more for Balti Seasoning, I will post them. I will be very happy to supply recipes for any of their other blends if you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by emilywish
    i also have their balti seasoning, as part of a set of eight curries, yum! i made the balti sauce on the package (with tomatoes and lime), which i liked over grilled fish with basmati rice, but i don't have the recipe here at work. i'll type it up from home later, ok?

but if anyone has any other suggestions, i'd love to have them, too. i haven't found too many uses for the curry blends so far, since so many recipes call for the spices individually. i guess i just need to improvise more with indian cooking, but i haven't made too many different types of dishes yet.
    Hi Emily, I would love the recipe for the sauce. Wait until you see what my book is this week. Like I said, I will be working on getting things together today. Will keep you posted. We love Indian food also. Have a good day

I asked my dad (who is Indian) and he said "balti" is a pot. I then found this at Amazon: 100 Best Balti Curries: Authentic Dishes from the Baltihouses http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/185...Fencoding=UTF8

Amazon's descripton of the book says the meaning of Balti is not only the cooking pot, but what's in it. It also describes a Northern Pakastani region, so it has Indian as well as Chinese influence.

I would imagine you could use your Penzey's mix in almost any Indian dish that calls for garam masala and just sub your Balti seasoning.

BTW, matter paneer is one of my faves too!
    - Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee
    Hi Emily, I would love the recipe for the sauce. Wait until you see what my book is this week. Like I said, I will be working on getting things together today. Will keep you posted. We love Indian food also. Have a good day
    Here are the balti recipes that came with my curry set:

Balti Sauce:

3 TB vegetable oil
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp ginger (optional)
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    1 medium onion, minced
    2 TB balti seasoning
    1 pint chicken stock
    2 TB lime juice

Add 2-3 TB water to garlic and ginger. Rehydrate 10 minutes. (I guess they mean for you to use dehydrated ginger for this?) Add onions, garlic, and ginger. Stir fry dry for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, lime juice, and stock. Bring to a boil, simmering uncovered for 20-30 minutes. Yields four cups.

A slightly different version of this sauce is on the jar itself (I think I made the version on the jar):

For a nice Balti sauce, add 4 TB water to 2 TB Balti and 1/4 tsp garlic: fry in 3 TB oil with a large minced onion. Stir fry 1 minute. Add 2 Cups chopped tomatoes, 2 TB lime juice, and 2 Cups chicken stock. Simmer 20 minutes until thick. Serve over rice plain or mix with cooked meet.

Balti Beef and Chickpeas:

1 1/2 lbs. beef/lamb cubes
    2-3 TB vegetable oil
    1 onion finely chopped
    3-4 cups balti sauce (see recipe above)
    1 can chickpeas
    1/2 tsp dried cilantro
    1 cup chopped green beans

Heat pan over med-high heat, add oil, brown meatt. Add onion. Add Balti Sauce. Add chickpeas, green beans, or other fresh vegetables. Heat through and simmer 10 minutes. Add cilantro for the last 5 minutes. Serve with rice and naan.

[QUOTE=emilywish]Here are the balti recipes that came with my curry set:

Balti Sauce:

3 TB vegetable oil
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp ginger (optional)
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    1 medium onion, minced
    2 TB balti seasoning
    1 pint chicken stock
    2 TB lime juice

Add 2-3 TB water to garlic and ginger. Rehydrate 10 minutes. (I guess they mean for you to use dehydrated ginger for this?) Add onions, garlic, and ginger. Stir fry dry for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, lime juice, and stock. Bring to a boil, simmering uncovered for 20-30 minutes. Yields four cups.
    QUOTE]

Emily, thank you so much for the recipes. I have read this one 4-5 times. Where are we suppose to add the Balti?

cookieeee, the ingredients are usually listed in the order in which they are used.

The recipe calls for adding water to the garlic and ginger. Then it says to dry fry the onion, garlic and ginger - but since ginger isn't listed twice in the ingredient list, I take it it's a typo and the actual third ingredient in the list is the Balti, so that's where I'd add it.

Although it doesn't call for garlic twice either, but yet the directions say to add water to the garlic and ginger, and then it says to dry fry the onion garlic and <balti> ginger. I think there might be a couple typos in the recipe, but you can get a general idea. I would probably add a clove or two of fresh garlic to the onion/balti mixture. It was probably left out of the ingredient list accidentally. Maybe Emily can clear up the confusion for us!

Thanks again everyone for posting all these recipes. They all sound great!

Emily, thank you so much for the recipes. I have read this one 4-5 times. Where are we suppose to add the Balti?
    good question... i don't see it here either, so i'll check later when i'm at home!

Hi, I just wanted to let you all know that I sent Penzey an e-mail about their website. I told them about what happened here. I asked if they couldn't improve their website to include more recipes, especially using their spice blends. It might help if you all could send them one also. I think we are spoiled here This is a great website.
    Just received a reply from Penzey:

Hi Joan,

Your suggestion for the availability of our recipes online is a very valid one. I will pass your email on to our web department for consideration, as we are currently updating our site to be more user friendly. We appreciate you taking the time to write and thank you and our "fan club" at CLBB for your kudos! We appreciate the good word!

Have a wonderful day,

Deborah

Well, I addressed the email to Bill, didn't really think he would answer , but there is hope that things might get better.

Ok, I just skipped a line in the directions, sorry! Here's the corrected version:

Balti Sauce:

3 TB vegetable oil
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp ginger (optional)
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    1 medium onion, minced
    2 TB balti seasoning
    1 pint chicken stock
    2 TB lime juice

Add 2-3 TB water to garlic and ginger. Rehydrate 10 minutes. (I guess they mean for you to use dehydrated ginger for this?) Heat oil and Balti seasoning. Add onions, garlic, and ginger. Stir fry dry for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, lime juice, and stock. Bring to a boil, simmering uncovered for 20-30 minutes. Yields four cups.

Thanks Emily