Community Message Boards

Thread: Tortellini serving ideas?

Tortellini serving ideas?

I just bought a few packages of frozen tortellini (mushroom and Gruyere and Spinach/walnut). I'm curious how you serve your tortellini.

Do you use just sauce and treat it like a pasta? Put in soup like a noodle/rice? Happy to hear your ideas.
    TIA
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I love torts! Sometimes I'll just toss them in some parmesan and butter, sometimes in a full blown sauce. A couple of weeks ago I made a salad. To cook tortellini I added marinated artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, kalamata olives, feta cheese and tossed with Ken's Lite Olive Oil Viniagrette (sp?, my fav bottled dressing right now). Quite good and lasted us for a couple of lunches the next day.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Tortellini are so versatile!

My absolute favorite way to eat tortellini is in soup. I love it in a basic tomato-basil, and also floated in some chicken stock.

Tortellini also makes good cold pasta salads. My current favorite is to toss the tortellini with some pesto and add antipasti ingredients- good salami, peppers, onions, tomatoes, olives, pepperoncini, and good mozzarella.

It also makes a great appetizer threaded on skewers cold- I've done that with an assortment of pestos (sun dried tomato being my favorite).
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

i'm a tortellini pasta salad kind of girl. i like to add sliced or roasted red peppers, half-moon slices of cucumber, shredded carrots, & a dressing of rice wine vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, & sliced scallions. sometimes i add chunks of cheese to that, depending on the tortellini fillings.

i also like tortellini served hot with a bit of butter & parmesan. or you can cook the tortellini, then pan-sear them in a bit of butter, black pepper, & balsamic vinegar, then sprinkle with fresh parmesan.

if you want to be fancy, make some mini tortellini skewers on toothpicks with cooked tortellini, veggies, & cheese.
    Last edited by sha; 08-25-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    What am I? Flypaper for Freaks?

We love Giada's Tortellini Soup, but we add a leek for extra flavor...
    I've never found a tortellini salad I loved, but will try some of the above ideas.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Tortellini Salad -

16 ounces cheese-filled tortellini
    1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
    1 red bell pepper, julienned
    1 small red onion, julienned
    1/2 cup black olives, sliced
    1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
    1 boneless chicken breast half, cooked, sliced into thin strips (optional)
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 teaspoons lemon zest
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    4 tablespoons ground walnuts, toasted
    1 tablespoon honey

Cook pasta until al dente, drain, cool under cold water. Chill. Whisk olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, walnuts and honey. Chill. Combine tortellini, peppers, onion, olives and optional chicken. Add lemon dressing and feta cheese, toss. Serves 6.

Quote Originally Posted by ADM
    Tortellini Salad -
    Thanks! Looks good...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!