Community Message Boards

Thread: Dog Treat Recipe with Carob powder?

Dog Treat Recipe with Carob powder?

this weekend I was chopping chocolate for a cheesecake and a piece accidentally fell on the floor...my puppy gobbled it up (thank goodness it was only a small piece!)...well for the rest of the time I was baking he stayed right at my feet and any little crumb that fell off the counter he would lick it up chocolate or not...even when we were eating the cheesecake later on that day he was begging at our feet which he's never done before sooooo...I've decided if he likes chocolate so much I will make him some carob treats except that all the recipes I've found online all for carob chips which I don't have...does anyone have any good recipes for these? I heard that there is a good one in the Three Dog Bakery Cookbook but the person who mentioned this to me lost their book...

thanks! erin

I'm not sure about carob, but chocolate (in large amounts I believe) can make a dog extremely sick or even kill them.

BB vets???
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

our vet said that carob is safe for dogs...I called her yesterday after he ate that piece of chocolate because I was worried and we got to talking and she told me that carob is okay, chocolate is not...

Carob is fine for dogs. I'm sure it should be fed to them the same way we'd eat chocolate, as a treat, and not to let them gorge themselves on it. Cody has some kind of "Carob Cherubs", they're small cookies made with eggs, unsalted margarine, fructose, egg, carob powder, and cinnamon. And I know I've bought other things for him that have carob in them. He's still living and breathing, so I'm sure it's fine!

I think Erin knows chocolate's not good for dogs, which is why she's asking for carob recipes. Of which, I don't have any. But Joe from Culinary in the Desert/Country does, I think! Maybe he'll chime in.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Sorry Erin, I wasn't sure if you knew.

Thanks to both, glad to hear that carob is OK.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

i don't see any recipes for dog treats with carob other than carob chips - so is the problem that you do NOT have carob chips but have some other form of carob? if so... this recipe might work:

CAROB TREATS (Dog Cookies)
    Laura Toms, Dublin, OH

3 cups whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup wheat germ
    2 1/2 cups oatmeal
    1/8 cup peanut oil
    1/8 cup corn oil margarine
    1 Tbsp brown sugar
    2 oz carob chips (available in health food stores), melted
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup molasses
    1/2 cup powdered milk

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix until
    blended. Dough will be stiff. Chill. Roll dough on a greased cookie pan and
    cut into shapes 1/2 inch thick. Bake at 300 for 1 hour. Makes 2 to 3 dozen.

http://www.dailydrool.com/recipes.html
    - Josie

Erin, I have the Three dog Bakery book at home, I'll post some carob recipes tonight. There's a carob muffin recipe that my jack, Missy, just loves. I've made them in the 24 mini pan instead to stretch them out. I might add some carob chips next time to the batter!

I just went onto the Three dog site, but they only feature one recipe. This one doesn't have carob in it but you might still be interested. With the Fall season in full swing your puppy might appreciate this one!

Pup-kin Nut Bread

Sure to become a festive holiday favorite for your little nut -

Makes 6 Merry Mutt Mini Loafs.

1 cups all-purpose flour
    teaspoon ground cinnamon
    teaspoon baking powder
    Pinch of ginger
    cup canola oil
    cup honey
    1 18-ounce can pumpkin
    2 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour six aluminum mini bread pans.

Stir together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and ginger in a bowl and set aside. In a large bowl stir together the canola oil and honey. Add the pumpkin and eggs, one at a time, and stir to combine. Stir in cup of water. Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.

Fill the bread pans 2/3 full. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.

Cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by patissac
    Erin, I have the Three dog Bakery book at home, I'll post some carob recipes tonight. There's a carob muffin recipe that my jack, Missy, just loves. I've made them in the 24 mini pan instead to stretch them out. I might add some carob chips next time to the batter!

I just went onto the Three dog site, but they only feature one recipe. This one doesn't have carob in it but you might still be interested. With the Fall season in full swing your puppy might appreciate this one!

Pup-kin Nut Bread

Sure to become a festive holiday favorite for your little nut -

Makes 6 Merry Mutt Mini Loafs.

1 cups all-purpose flour
    teaspoon ground cinnamon
    teaspoon baking powder
    Pinch of ginger
    cup canola oil
    cup honey
    1 18-ounce can pumpkin
    2 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour six aluminum mini bread pans.

Stir together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and ginger in a bowl and set aside. In a large bowl stir together the canola oil and honey. Add the pumpkin and eggs, one at a time, and stir to combine. Stir in cup of water. Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.

Fill the bread pans 2/3 full. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ...you are a sweetheart and my puppy will LOVE you!

How, exactly, does one "serve" this to their dog?

Cody would probably love these, but then, he loves anything I give him, even if it's medication!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Quick search shows carob (in reasonable amounts ) should be fine for dogs. (I'll have to remember this when an owner wants to feed chocolate!!!)

FWIW:
    Chocolate is most dangerous as baking chocolate, then dark, then milk, and and lastly white chocolate .

from http://www.apogeecomgrp.com/drkevin/chocolate.html (the first site I found with "theobromine"):

Relative theobromine content per ounce for various products is:
    Milk chocolate: 44 - 60 mgs/ounce
    Unsweetened baking chocolate: 450 mg/oz
    Cacao meal: 300 - 900 mg/oz
    Cacao beans: 300 - 1200 mg/oz
    Hot chocolate: 13 mg/oz

The lethal dosage of theobromine in dogs is between 250 and 500 mgs/kg, or for every 2.2 pounds of body weight. However, serious non-fatal poisonings have been reported in dogs after eating smaller amounts.

Deaths due to theobromine have been documented in horses who ate cocoa bean hulls used in bedding and in other livestock fed cocoa waste products. No chocolate poisonings have been reported in cats, which is probably a reflection of their eating habits.

probably a decent time to remind yourself that cocoa bean shell mulch can be lethal to your pets as well:
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...ocoa_mulch.htm
    - Josie

My Grandmom feeds her dogs chocolate cake and cookies and they are doing fine. I never heard of the "Chocolate is poison for dog thing" before I moved to the states.

Our doggy loves Peanut Butter and would do anything for it. An empty jar is the best toy for her - keeps her busy for hours!

i had a dog once eat an entire container of chocolate covered pretzels and never show any signs of illness.
    however, you should still be pretty careful with chocolate around dogs. i am not a vet but i am pretty sure the reason your grandmom's dog is probably fine is because 1- cakes and cookies generally have milk chocolate which isn't as bad for dogs, 2- it probably isnt a teacup poodle so it would require more chocolate to make it sick (bigger the dog, the more chocolate "needed" to poison the dog)

as far as i am concerned, there are so many other treats my dogs love, there's no point to testing chocolate on them. my dogs especially adore the empty peanut butter container as well... although i have to watch my great dane because he starts to chew up the plastic and try to eat it
    - Josie

An empty peanut butter jar,huh? What a brilliant idea. Its almost like a cheap KONG! I love it! I'm going to try it the minute mine is empty. Thanks!

Erin I forgot to look at my book. I promise you will get the recipe sooner or later, its worth it, trust me!

Pat

An empty peanut butter jar,huh? What a brilliant idea. Its almost like a cheap KONG! I love it! I'm going to try it the minute mine is empty. Thanks!

Erin I forgot to look at my book. I promise you will get the recipe sooner or later, its worth it, trust me!

Pat
    No problem Pat...I made my puppy some regular treats yesterday so I'm good for a week at least...he loved them...I made them with cornmeal, wheatgerm, flour, oil, chicken broth, instant chicken granules, bacon, cheese, and garlic powder...very stinky but my pup loved them!

We even have kongs here but why bother putting it in the kong if you can just give her the jar

Wink

FWIW:Chocolate is most dangerous as baking chocolate, then dark, then milk, and and lastly white chocolate .
    A friend of mine is a vet and she has also told me that the baking and dark chocolate are the really dangerous ones....her response to a panic phone call from me after finding my dogs had consumed a large amount of M & M's was "they'll be fine...that is not really chocolate":-). FWIW-she disagrees about danger in white chocolate-she says it is fine for dogs and at the holidays I make dog cookies dipped in white chocolate with sprinkles-yes, I have used the "real stuff" as opposed to the "coating" but only when I was out of the coating

Sheila in MD

An empty peanut butter jar,huh? What a brilliant idea. Its almost like a cheap KONG!
    It IS a great idea! That said, I save mine for a friends Vizsla's...I have a Bearded Collie (think the recent Shaggy Dog movie!) and a very hairy mutt (think Benji only bigger....)-the empty PB jar and hairy snouts can create a HUGE mess:-).

Sheila in MD

Quote Originally Posted by tyroleancutie
    Our doggy loves Peanut Butter and would do anything for it. An empty jar is the best toy for her - keeps her busy for hours!

Excellent idea. I'd love to give Cody one, but with his small face, it would end up being more work for me! I have been known to dip a spoon into the peanut butter and let him have at it. He thinks it's great, but then, it doesn't take much!
    Erin

-generic

Okay I finally brought my book with me! Here is the recipe, I've done this both in regular sized muffin tins and the 24 count one too with great results!

Bakery Fresh Carob Cakes

1/2 Honey
    2 cups Flour
    1/2 cup low fat Mayo
    3 tablespoons Carob powder
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 cup warm water
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven 350. Blend together all ingredients very throroughly. Grease a muffin tin and fill each tin half full with the mixture. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean. Cool and store in a sealed container.