Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite potluck dish to bring and eat?

Favorite potluck dish to bring and eat?

I saw this thread over on SLBB and thought it would be great to hear your responses. We've got two potlucks we'll be attending next month so I'll be watching this thread with great interest. What is your favorite dish to bring when attending a potluck and which one(s) are your favorite to eat?

I love trying new ethnic dishes and homemade breads. On the dessert table, I seek out desserts made with fruit. Actually, after everyone's had their fill, I like to pick at whatever is remaining (but not store bought) so I can get a taste.

I am usually attending a potluck with lots of kids, so I bring CI's mac n cheese and a dessert. I have brought CL apple cake, blueberry poundcake and thumbprint cookies which have all gone over very well. I used to seek out interesting and exotic entree recipes to bring, but found that there was never enough mac n cheese for all the kids. If I have time, I make a yeasted bread (more recently a foccacia, cottage cheese dill and sun-dried tomato) and/or a side dish as well.

I'm only posting the Foccacia recipe but if anybody wants the others, let me know and I'd be happy to post those too. What are YOUR favorites?

Foccacia (recipe from AR)
    2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    1 tablespoon active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1 pinch ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 cup water
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
    1 cup mozzarella

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, basil and black pepper. Mix in the vegetable oil and water.
    When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Punch dough down; place on greased baking sheet. Pat into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Brush top with olive oil. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
    Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Yum - I've been looking for a fochaccia recipe - I may even put olives on half of it (DH's favorite way!).
    As for potlucks - I LOVE a good mashed cauliflower casserole - something with some fresh herbs and a parm or asiago cheese. The Black Bean and Chorizo chili was great - I made it in the crock pot and served it with crushed tortilla chips, diced yellow onion, mexican shredded cheese and sour cream on top - excellant. ANother thing that goes over well with my family is a good German Potato Salad (served hot - vinegar based) - something along the same lines of the potaot salad would be green beans with onions, bacon and cider vinegar - I'm sure you make a huge dish of this too. You could even do a Broccoli cheese soup and keep it in a crock pot (I'm in soup/stew/chili mode right now ). Serve it with some crumbled bacon on the side and a little shredded cheddar - maybe even some minced green onions???? Although I haven't made the right recipe for this, something along the lines of a mexican shredded chicken casserole (something with black beans, chilies, tomatoes, mexican cheese, etc layered between tortillas - with either a green or red sauce) would be great! Ok - I think I've written enough - hope this gives you a few ideas!!!!

I am a casserole kind of girl. I usually take my grandmother's macaroni and cheese with tomatoes, corn pudding, or a hashbrown, sweet potato, or butternut squash casserole. In the summer months, I also like to take salads. I like corn and pea, bean, or pasta salads of different varieties.

Anxious to see responses to this as we have a school potluck coming up soon. For me, it's a delicate balance between something yummy and funky and something people will try! My first thought is Spaghetti Squash Casserole, which I got from this board a while back.

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaAS
    Anxious to see responses to this as we have a school potluck coming up soon. For me, it's a delicate balance between something yummy and funky and something people will try! My first thought is Spaghetti Squash Casserole, which I got from this board a while back.

Melissa
    mmmmmmmmmmm - that reminds me of Speghetti Pie

For Potlucks I usually like to make something different then the typical fare that everyone brings in. I've made with great success:

Banana Pudding Cake-Cake Mix Doctor
    Mocha Chocolate Trifle-CLBB
    Cheesy Brunch Casserole-CL
    Gooey Pumpkin Butter Cakes-Paula Deen
    Gooey Apple Sheet Cake-CLBB
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by patissac
    For Potlucks I usually like to make something different then the typical fare that everyone brings in. I've made with great success:

Banana Pudding Cake-Cake Mix Doctor
    Mocha Chocolate Trifle-CLBB
    Cheesy Brunch Casserole-CL
    Gooey Pumpkin Butter Cakes-Paula Deen
    Gooey Apple Sheet Cake-CLBB
    Hi! Could you post the Cheesy Brunch Casserole??? Thanks!

-Natalie

NMG - I found it online:

Cheesy Brunch Casserole

Because herb-seasoned stuffing mix is the base of this casserole, you have to add only a touch of seasoning. If you'd prefer a bit of heat, substitute hot turkey Italian sausage.

1 pound turkey Italian sausage
    5 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix (such as Pepperidge Farm)
    Cooking spray
    1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
    2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 (8-ounce) cartons egg substitute

Preheat oven to 325°.
    Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain. Place sausage in a large bowl; add stuffing mix, tossing to combine.

Place stuffing mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Drizzle stuffing mixture with broth and butter; sprinkle with cheese. Combine milk and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk; pour milk mixture over stuffing mixture.

Bake at 325° for 40 minutes or until set. Let casserole stand 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 9 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 298(29% from fat); FAT 9.6g (sat 4g,mono 3.6g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 19.8g; CHOLESTEROL 50mg; CALCIUM 284mg; SODIUM 986mg; FIBER 2.9g; IRON 2.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.5g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2002

Thanks Funnybone!!! It looks awesome

Potato, Kale, and Kielbasa Casserole

Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
    Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
    Yield: 6 servings
    3 pounds russet (baking) potatoes (about 6)
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    Salt and pepper
    2 1/2 pounds kale, coarse stems discarded and the leaves washed well
    1/2 pound Muenster cheese, coarsely grated (about 2 cups)
    1 pound smoked kielbasa, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick pieces
    2 large onions, thinly sliced

Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F. In a kettle combine the potatoes, peeled and quartered, with enough water to cover them by 2 inches, bring the water to a boil, and boil the potatoes for 15 minutes, or until they are tender.

Transfer the potatoes with a slotted spoon to a colander, reserving the cooking liquid, and force them through a ricer into a bowl. Add the butter, 1/2 cup of the broth, the vinegar, and salt and pepper, to taste, and combine the mixture well. Bring the reserved cooking liquid to a boil, add the kale, and boil it for 10 minutes, or until it is crisp-tender. Drain the kale in the colander, refresh it under cold water, and press out the excess water.

Stir the kale and 1 cup of the Muenster into the potato mixture and spread the mixture in a buttered 9 by 13-inch baking dish. In a large skillet brown the kielbasa over moderate heat and transfer it to a bowl with the slotted spoon. In the fat remaining in the skillet cook the onions over moderate heat, stirring, until they are golden and stir them into the kielbasa. Scatter the kielbasa mixture on top of the potato mixture, sprinkle it with the remaining Muenster, and pour the remaining 1/4 cup broth on top. (The casserole may be prepared up to this point 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.) Bake the casserole until heated through, about 20 minutes.

This was on Food TV "Sara's Secrets" a few years ago. This is a real favorite, but not all that "light".

Thanks for posting Funnybone!
    DBF loves that recipe, sometimes I'll throw in some in chopped onions, garlic and mushrooms while I'm cooking the turkey sausage.

Jim the recipe looks good! This might be on my plate tonight for dinner!
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Hi Apricot,

Great thread! Would you mind posting the CI Mac n' Cheese recipe when you have a chance?

Thank you!

I just got back from a potluck tonight for my son's preschool class and I brought foccacia, mac n cheese, pasta e fagioli soup, pumpkin cookies and apple spice cake. (It seemed like a lot to bring and I was a little embarrassed pulling it all out if the car since we were only asked to bring one dish, but I love to cook and it took very little effort to make it this afternoon.) The faves were mac n cheese, foccacia and the apple spice cake. My personal favorite was the soup. It was so so good-filling, hearty, soothing and perfect for the fall like weather we had today.

Jif-I'd love to post the CI's recipe for you, but I gave my old CI's Best Recipes away when I purchased the new edition and they have a different recipe for mac n cheese in it. I make the old version from memory and would be happy to type it out for you, but if someone has the original recipe (with the condensed milk, egg and 12 oz of cheese) perhaps they could post it with more concise instructions. Until then...

8 oz elbow macaroni
    1 1/2 t salt (add to water)
    Cook pasta until just done. Drain and return to pot with 4 T butter. (I use less..about 2 T.) Over low heat, stir until butter melts.

12 oz condensed evaporated milk (NOT sweetened)
    12 oz grated cheddar cheese (I use 8 oz)
    1 egg
    1/2 t. dry mustard mixed with 1 t water
    1/2 t salt
    Mix above ingredients together in a separate bowl and pour over the noodles. Stir over low heat until cheese melts.

(It comes with instructions on how to make a breadcrumb topping, but I never do. If you're interested, maybe someone can dig up the recipe.)

Apple Cake (from RZ)
    This was by far the favorite dessert among adults (the kids were thrilled to see the Lofthouse, chocolate chip and M&M cookies). I got 3 requests for the recipe.
    3 cups flour (I used half whole wheat)
    2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs, beaten
    1 cup canola oil (used half applesauce)
    1/2 cup apple juice
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    3 cups finely chopped apples
    1 cup chopped walnuts (omitted due to nut allergies)
    *added 1 1/2 t of apple pie spice and a some freshly grated nutmeg
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup butter
    1/3 cup whipping cream

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, soda and salt. Make a well in the center and set aside.
    In a medium bowl combine eggs, oil, apple juice and vanilla. Stir in apples and nuts. Add the egg mixture to dry ingredients, just until moistened.
    Spread batter in a greased and floured 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes.
    In a small saucepan combine the brown sugar, butter and cream.
    Cook and stir till bubbly and all of the sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly. Drizzle warm sauce over cake, when it has cooled for 5 minutes, so it can seep into the cake, keeping it moist.

Pasta e Fagioli Soup (RZ)
    2 lbs ground beef
    1 onion, chopped
    3 carrots, julienned like og or chopped
    4 stalks celery, chopped
    2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can red kidney beans, drained
    1 can white kidney beans, drained
    3 cans beef stock
    3 teaspoons oregano
    2 teaspoons pepper
    5 teaspoons parsley
    1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
    1 jar spaghetti sauce
    8 ounces pasta

Brown beef in a skillet.
    Drain fat from beef and add to crockpot with everything except pasta.
    Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours.
    During last 30 min on high or 1 hour on low, add pasta.

Pumpkin Cookies were posted by Valchemist in a different thread Pumpkin Cookies .

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
    2 1/2 cup flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1 pinch nutmeg
    1/2 cup butter -- room temperature
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    1 c chocolate chips (I added raisins instead and left out the nuts.)
    1/2 cup pecans or walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
    Whisk together flour, leavening, salt and spices.
    In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugars. Beat in egg, then vanilla, then pumpkin. Add flour mixture and stir until just incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans, if using.
    Drop by tablespoons and bake for 14-16 minutes at 350F. Bake them until they’re lightly browned at the edges, but not dark.
    Remove to a wire rack to cool.
    Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.

Here's CI's Mac & Cheese from '97.

Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese

If you’re in a hurry or prefer to sprinkle the dish with crumbled common crackers (saltines aren’t bad either), you can skip the bread crumb step.

Serves 4 as a main course or 6 to 8 as a side dish

Toasted Bread Crumbs
    1 cup fresh breadcrumbs from French or Italian bread
    Pinch table salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

2 large eggs
    1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
    1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    2 teaspoons table salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon dry mustard , dissolved in 1 teaspoon water
    1/2 pound elbow macaroni
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , American cheese, or Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 3 cups)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix bread crumb ingredients together in small baking pan. Bake until golden brown and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes; set aside.

2. Meanwhile, mix eggs, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, pepper sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, pepper, and mustard mixture in small bowl; set aside.

3. Meanwhile, heat 2 quarts water to boil in large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and macaroni; cook until almost tender, but still a little firm to the bite. Drain and return to pan over low heat. Add butter; toss to melt.

4. Pour egg mixture over buttered noodles along with three-quarters of the cheese; stir until thoroughly combined and cheese starts to melt. Gradually add remaining milk and cheese, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot and creamy, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately topped with toasted bread crumbs.

Written: 1/1997
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard all the bull before.

Cheryl

Cheryl- thanks for posting the original recipe! Looks like I've been shorting my mac n cheese a whole egg!

Quote Originally Posted by Apricot
    Cheryl- thanks for posting the original recipe! Looks like I've been shorting my mac n cheese a whole egg!
    You're welcome. I'm sure the missing egg doesn't hurt the recipe.
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard all the bull before.

Cheryl

Thank you, Apricot and Cheryl, for posting the mac n' cheese recipe. It sounds great! The pumpkin cookies and apple spice cake sound terrific too. I think you've given me some good ideas on what to make for my son's 2nd birthday party next month!

I get requests to make these for potlucks. I don't think I've ever made them without people asking for the recipe.

PEPPERONI BAKED BEANS

1 can baked beans
    1 can hot chili beans
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can green beans, drained
    1 can yellow beans, drained
    1 can tomato soup
    1 6oz. can tomato paste
    1 cup brown sugar
    ½ lb. ground hot sausage, browned
    ½ lb. ground sweet sausage, browned
    1 6-8 oz. pkg. sliced pepperoni
    ½ small bottle barbeque sauce
    ½ small bottle ketchup

Mix all ingredients together except barbeque sauce and ketchup. Mix the barbeque sauce and ketchup together and spread on top of the beans. Do not stir in. Bake 1 ½ hours uncovered at 350. Requires a large casserole dish – about 4 qt.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I get asked to bring this salad for most potlucks-

WILD RICE CHICKEN SALAD

2/3 CUP WILD RICE, MEASURED THEN COOKED
    4 OZ CAN SLICED WATER CHESTNUTS (can sub celery if desired)
    2 CUPS COOKED CHICKEN OR TURKEY, CUT INTO BITE-SIZED PIECES
    SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
    A LITTLE BIT OF ONION, I USE RED BUT ANY OTHER ONION WOULD WORK

DRESSING: (MIX TOGETHER UNTIL WELL-BLENDED)
    ¼ TSP DRIED TARRAGON
    1/3 CUP MILK
    2/3 CUP MAYONNAISE
    2 TB LEMON JUICE

ADD THE DRESSING TO THE SALAD MIXTURE. REFRIGERATE. JUST BEFORE SERVING, TOSS WITH 2 CUPS SLICED RED OR GREEN GRAPES (I USE RED) AND 1 CUP SALTED CASHEWS.

I have two recipes I really like for potluck:

This first one is from CL -- it's easy to change, very easy to make, you double the recipe easily, and it travels well:

Spicy Cold Sesame Noodles w/Jalapenos

1 (8 ounce) pack dried soba noodles (or spaghetti)
    3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
    4 tablespoons tahini
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    2 to 3 jalapenos seeded and minced
    salt and pepper

Whisk sesame oil, tahini, soy sauce, and brown sugar together. Season with salt and pepper.

Cook noodles and drain. Add noodles to the sauce, add the jalapeno and toss to combine.

Refrigerate until chilled.

Cilantro-Serrano Pesto with Penne

1 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
    1/2 mint (or other greens)
    1/2 cup cotija cheese (can sub other cheese)
    3 tablespoons toasted pecans
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    4-5 garlic cloves
    1 serrano chile, seeded and sliced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
    1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
    6 cups hot cooked penne pasta (about 3 ounces uncooked)
    2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved

Place cilantro, mint, cheese, pecans, salt, garlic, and chile in a food processor and blend well. Add oil until well blended, add vinegar and pepper.

Add pesto and tomatoes to the drained pasta and mix well.

(Note, this recipe originally included chicken in the recipe...I've since forgotten how much as I don't cook with chicken.)

Cooking Light
    January/February 2005

Have fun!

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaAS

Melissa

I have a spaghetti squash in the pantry. Would you please share the recipe for this casserole?

TIA
    Bonnie

How could I have forgotten this one? This is not at all light, but absolutely wonderfull. This yet another way to help use fresh basil.

Layered Cheese Torta with Pesto

2 8oz packages cream cheese, at room temperature
    2 cups (1lb) unsalted butter at room temperature

Pesto:

In a food processor whirl to a paste 2 ½ cups basil leaves, 1 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, and 1/3 cup olive oil. Stir in ¼ cup toasted pine nuts and season to taste with salt and pepper.

In a mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter till smoothly blended.

Cut two 18-inch squares of cheesecloth; moisten with water, wring out, and lay out flat, 1 on top of the other. Use cloth to smoothly line a 5 to 6 cup straight-sided plain mold such as a tall brioche or charlotte pan; drape excess cloth over rim.

With your fingers or rubber spatula (note-wet fingers work the best) spread 1/6th of the cheese mixture in the prepared mold. Cover with 1/5th of the pesto, extending it to the sides of the mold. Repeat until mold is filled, finishing with cheese.

Fold ends of cloth over top and press down lightly with your hands to compact. Refrigerate until the torta feels firm when pressed, 1 to 1 ½ hours; then unfold cloth from the top, invert torta onto a serving dish, and gently pull off cloth. If cloth is on longer than 1 ½ hours it will act as a wick and cause filling color to bleed onto cheese.

If made ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.

Garnish with basil sprigs. Spread on bread, crackers, or vegetables. Makes 16 servings.

Per 1 ounce serving: 302 calories, 2 gr protein, 76 gr carbohydrates, 33 gr total fat, 93 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium

I told you it wasn't light.

NOTE:

This recipe can easily be halved for a smaller crowd. Also, I sometimes make just half of the pesto, then put a small jar of sun-dried tomatoes in processor and processed to a paste, to make separate layers of red-white-green, etc.

This may sound like lots of work, but it really isn’t.

Home-baked, whole grain orange-scented rye bread-- in a big gloriously glazed braid-- my own recipe. You know Apricot, from the looks of your recipe, how crazy people go for homemade bread! it's the one thing almost no one in my family bakes, except for my Mom's famous tender rolls.

Mari, it's funny you say that. Everyone devoured the foccacia and I made 3 batches, using over 9 cups of bread/ww flour (our local co-op even has whole wheat bread flour!). I was surprised at how many people brought store-made items. I love cooking and often forget that many people don't or are so busy they can't. Your orange scented rye bread sounds delicious! Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Thanks everyone for posting their favorite recipes. I've got another potluck to go to in a couple weeks and will be trying out some new recipes to bring.

I'm also very curious to hear what everyone likes to EAT while at these potlucks....

sweet apricot, i would love to share, but i more or less do it slightly differently everytime. All i can say is that i will try to wrtie it down sometime soon, and then test it again. may take a little while, we are trying to sell our house right now.

i love to eat the different casseroles, dips and desserts i would never make myself-- if it's something i make all the time, i leave it alone, unless it looks like a VERY different version. what about you?

I'll admit; I always take really healthy things to potlucks, and eat really decadent food at the potluck!

It also depends on the season. At our summer church potlucks, there is a good blend of cheesy/carby options, but also lots of fresh vegie and salad options. However, it seems like in the wintertime, it is really hard (in Kentucky anyway) to find a vegetable-based item at a potluck; maybe salty, porky green beans (tasty, but sometimes too strong), but beyond that it's all cheese, chips, and baked beans. So particularly for the fall/winter ones, I try to take something lighter so I have a lighter option to eat in addition to the cheesy stuff I inevitably also pile on my plate.

In general I try to limit half of my plate to meats and cheesy potato options, while the other half is vegie-based. I typically get two desserts though! Brownies (which I never make myself) and anything gooey is typically fair game.

Bonnie- I'm sorry but I can't find the Spaghetti Squash casserole recipe now that I mentioned it; we switched computers so I'm afraid it's gone-zo. Yuck!

Melissa

I love when someone brings in chili or taco dip. Here's a list of dishes I've brought to potlucks:

~Fried Chicken Salad (CL 2002)
    ~7 Layer Mexican Dip (Food and family)
    ~Pecan Apple Dip (Food Festival USA)
    ~Pecan Pie (Cooking Light)
    ~Chocolate Tiramisu Cake (Pampered Chef)
    ~Banana Cream Pie (Pampered chef)
    ~Chicken Fajita Pizza (Pampered Chef)
    ~No Melt Sundae Pie (Food and Family)

I haven't attended many potlucks, but my day is coming up soon in November at work and the teachers are already telling me that they can't wait to see what I'll bring. I'm thinking of bringing Apple Pie Bread, Asiago Dip with Crostini, and I'm not sure what else. I'm sharing my day with another teacher.

angela

Here's a favorite at my home (BTW - somethings happened to my original user name and I can't get my password, I've tried to have CL e-mail it to me, but it keeps saying my e-mail is not valid??? Needless to say, I'm NMG and still haven't posted the sweet potato recipe - my mom's supposed to bring it over tonight!). This recipe is very easy and requires a few pantry items that can be substituted with lower sodium and fat free soups. This recipe also freezes wonderfully

Chicken Stuffed Shells

2 cans low sodium cream of chicken soup
    2 cans low sodium cream of mushroom soup
    1-1/2 cans water
    1 to 1-1/2 lbs cooked, diced chicken
    1 box stovetop stuffing
    3/4 c. mayo (I'm sure you could use reduced fat)
    20-24 large shells - cooked
    peas
    diced carrots

Prepare stuffing. Mix together chicken, stuffing and mayo.
    Mix together soups and water with a wisk. Pour roughly 2 cups on bottom of glass casserole dish (13x9). Spoon chicken mixture into shells and place in casserole dish. Pour remaining soup mixture on top of shells (I usually don't need all the soup mixture). Dot with peas and carrots. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes. Enjoy!

my notes: I sometimes make my own stuffing to mix in with the chicken and mayo depending on how much time I have - it works just as well (and I prefer my stuffing to Stovetop anyways )

Finally!

Here you guys go - I FINALLY got the recipe posted for you! Sweet potato puffs!

Sweet Potato Crunch

Base:
    4 peeled and cooked yams
    ½ c. sugar
    ½ stick butter
    1 egg
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    Dash salt

Mix all ingredients with beater. Put in ungreased 9x13 baking dish. (can make this the night before)

Topping:
    1 c. brown sugar
    1 c. crushed ritz crackers (1/2 strip plus 4)
    ½ c. chopped walnuts
    ¾ c. melted butter

Mix dry stuff together an add butter. Sprinkle over top of base. Bake 350 for ½ hour.

**To pipe puffs to freeze, place parchment or wax paper on cookie sheet. Pipe individual puffs onto wax paper lined cookie sheet and omit topping. Place in freezer. When frozen, place puffs in freezer bag. Make topping day of baking and sprinkle over top of puffs and bake. Bake frozen puffs at 350 for roughly 30 mins.