Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for corn syrup

Substitute for corn syrup

I stopped buying things that have high fructose corn syrup in them. I wanted to make a pumpkin cake posted by someone here from Eating Well and one of the ingredients is corn syrup. Is there a healthier substitute?

I'm glad that you brought this up. I used the last bit of light corn syrup in this recipe, and the bottle was so old that the label was yellowed. I don't want to buy another bottle, and was thinking of using either honey or molasses as a substitute for the next time I make it. Both would add another flavor, though, so I'm going to see if anyone else has another idea.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

I made a boiled frosting the other day that called for either corn syrup or cream of tarter. I used the corn syrup because I was out of cream of tarter.

Before substituting it in your recipe, however, I'd want more information.

Perhaps there are others out there that know...

From foodsubs.com:

Substitutes: golden syrup (Substitute measure for measure) OR honey (This is sweeter than corn syrup, but substitute it measure for measure.) OR molasses (Substitute measure for measure.)

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Brown rice syrup works fairly well as a healthier substitute but it has some flavor to it (unlike light corn syrup). In the Eating Well Pumpkin-Chocolate Cake, you only need 1/4 cup so subbing brown rice syrup should work pretty well. You could also try honey but I wouldn't use molasses. That flavor seems too assertive for this recipe.
    -Amy

The corn syrup you buy in the grocery store is not the same as the high-fructose corn syrup used in processed foods. If you are avoiding HFCSs but are not avoiding sugar, honey, etc., then Karo or other typical grocery store corn syrups aren't that big a deal. If corn syrup is called for in a recipe, I would use it because it's there for a reason; usually it's important to the chemical and physical reactions in cooking, moisture content, etc. For me it's one of those "OK in moderation" things.

From Baking911.com:

Corn syrup serves different functions in different types of recipes and is an important ingredient. It controls sugar crystallization in candy, prevents the formation of ice crystals in frozen desserts, enhances fresh fruit flavor in jams and preserves, and sweetens and thickens.

In baked goods, corn syrup holds moisture and maintains freshness longer. Corn syrup also balances sweet and sour flavor flavors, and is therefore a key ingredient in many Asian dishes.

http://www.baking911.com/pantry/sweeteners_liquid.htm
    Sarah also describes on this page her experiments with creating a good reduced-fat cookie recipe; she found that using corn syrup helped create a good-quality cookie where using just sugar did not.

Corn syrup contains HFCS! So the stuff you buy with the Karo name is still the same thing as HFCS. The best alternative is Lyle's Golden Syrup (it's devine...like caramel sauce in a can!). Barring that I'd use honey.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by peachykeen
    I made a boiled frosting the other day that called for either corn syrup or cream of tarter. I used the corn syrup because I was out of cream of tarter.

Before substituting it in your recipe, however, I'd want more information.
    Huh? How could cream of tartar be a sub for corn syrup?

I've subbed brown rice syrup a few times for corn syrup and it's always worked out. It makes a yummy peanut brittle, as well. YMMV, of course. :-)

Yes, the Karp brand lists HFC as one of the ingredients. I'm wondering if whole foods carries something.

Whole Foods does not sell a corn syrup without HFCS, or at least the one near me doesn't. Someone posted a link for organic corn syrup once. Have not tried it myself yet.

Response to Linda in MO:

The recipe was for a boiled frosting (Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook), which definitely said either/or. During the cooking process, I had to use an electric beater for 7 minutes until "peaks" were formed. I assume the corn syrup or the cream of tarter helped to form those peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindy
    Yes, the Karp brand lists HFC as one of the ingredients. I'm wondering if whole foods carries something.
    I'm sure Whole Foods carries brown rice syrup. I think that is your best alternative. While I mentioned brown rice syrup has some flavor, it wouldn't be detectable in this recipe and you would avoid HFCS.
    -Amy