Community Message Boards

Thread: Cabbage rolls, any good recipes

Cabbage rolls, any good recipes

I love cabbage rolls and looking for a good recipe to make for my Mom's B'day.. She is 85 and tried to tell me how to make them several times but they never come out the way she makes them.
    Thanks

This is Jay's grandma's recipe. They are the best I have ever had and when I make them they turn out just as good as hers. She doesn't have recipes so my BIL and SIL went to her house and wrote down how she made them. I use ground turkey and any kind of tomato products work (I usually use homemade sauce) but the recipe is just how she did it.

Lisa

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grandma Fanny's Stuffed Cabbage

Recipe By :Fanny Herman
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cabbage head
    1/2 cup Rice -- Uncle Ben's Converted White
    3 onions -- chopped
    1 pound ground turkey -- or ground sirloin
    1 egg
    salt and pepper -- to taste
    2 large cans Tomato Sauce -- Hunt's brand
    1 small can Crushed Tomatoes -- Hunt's
    1 small can tomato paste -- Hunt's
    1 large can Water
    1 piece flank steak -- cut into small cubes or pieces

Boil Cabbage for 2-3 minutes (root end down, take out core). Remove leaves (return cabbage to pot to boil until you can get all the leaves off).

Wash rice (use 1/4 to 1/2 cup). Place in bowl.

Add two chopped onions to rice in bowl, add one chopped onion to a large stock pot.

Add ground turkey (or sirloin if you want) to rice and onion, add egg, salt and pepper. Mix well.

Add the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste to stock pot with onion, add 1 large can full of water to stock pot. If you want you can also chop up the core of the cabbage and any remaining leaves and add to pot.

Bring all contents of pot to boil, and then simmer.

Take a cabbage leaf, add scoop of ground turkey mixture in center, put a piece of the flank steak in the center (hide it in the ground mixture). Fold over cabbage leaf, roll over and tuck top inside (make a package). Repeat till mixture is gone or out of cabbage leaves.

Add all the stuffed cabbages to the simmering tomato sauce in pot, simmer covered for 2-2 1/2 hours. Add brown sugar if you want 1/2 hour before completed cooking.

Freezes well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1893 Calories; 58g Fat (26.8% calories from fat); 141g Protein; 217g Carbohydrate; 41g Dietary Fiber; 622mg Cholesterol; 4832mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 Grain(Starch); 14 1/2 Lean Meat; 25 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Notes from Bruce and Colleen: Grandma Fanny doesn't have a recipe, this is our attempt to write down and create a recipe from her method of making stuffed cabbage.

My recipe for cabbage rolls is at home, but mine uses ground pork - yum...I'll post it when I get home later.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Slight hijack as I was looking for recipes as well but I have 3 or 4 purple cabbage heads from the garden to use up and I am wondering if they'd sub okay for the green.... TIA
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Tyler Florence's recipe was really yummy!

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Galumpkis)

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Sweet and Sour Tomato Sauce:
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 garlic cloves -- smashed
    1 1/2 quarts crushed tomatoes
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon sugar
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black
    pepper
    Cabbage Rolls:
    2 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 yellow onion -- chopped
    2 garlic cloves -- minced
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    Splash dry red wine
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1 pound ground beef
    1 pound ground pork
    1 large egg
    1 1/2 cups steamed white rice
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black
    pepper
    2 large heads green cabbage -- about 3 pounds each

To make the sauce:
    Coat a 3-quart saucepan with the oil and place over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and sugar; simmer, until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
    Place a skillet over medium heat and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Saut the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until soft. Stir in the tomato paste, a splash of wine, parsley, and 1/2 cup of the prepared sweet and sour tomato sauce, mix to incorporate and then take it off the heat. Combine the ground meat in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg, the cooked rice, and the sauteed onion mixture. Toss the filling together with your hands to combine, season with a generous amount of salt and pepper.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Remove the large, damaged outer leaves from the cabbages and set aside. Cut out the cores of the cabbages with a sharp knife and carefully pull off all the rest of the leaves, keeping them whole and as undamaged as possible, (get rid of all the small leaves and use them for coleslaw or whatever.) Blanch the cabbage leaves in the pot of boiling water for 5 minutes, or until pliable. Run the leaves under cool water then lay them out so you can assess just how many blankets you have to wrap up the filling. Next, carefully cut out the center vein from the leaves so they will be easier to roll up. Take the reserved big outer leaves and lay them on the bottom of a casserole pan, let part of the leaves hang out the sides of the pan. This insulation will prevent the cabbage rolls from burning on the bottom when baked. Use all the good looking leaves to make the cabbage rolls. Put about 1/2 cup of the meat filling in the center of the cabbage and starting at what was the stem-end, fold the sides in and roll up the cabbage to enclose the filling. Place the cabbage rolls side by side in rows, seam-side down, in a casserole pan.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Pour the remaining sweet and sour tomato sauce over the cabbage rolls. Fold the hanging leaves over the top to enclose and keep the moisture in. Drizzle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake for 1 hour until the meat is cooked.

Description:
    "Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence"

I like this recipe from Canadian Living. I add some smoked pork loin (chopped) or some ham to the ground beef.

The step by step pictures are helpful and I use the Kitchen Tip about microwaving the cabbage. It works very well.

http://www.canadianliving.com/canadi...e.asp?idRe=101

Thanks to flooding rains, I'm home early today and found my Cabbage Rolls recipe. Enjoy and good luck!

Cabbage Rolls (Golabki)

32 ounces Sauerkraut
    2 pounds Ground Beef
    1 pound Ground Pork
    1 onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    16 ounces tomato sauce
    1 1/4 cups uncooked white rice
    1/2 cup milk
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons garlic salt
    2 heads cabbage -- boiled and cooled
    2 10.75 oz cans condensed tomato soup -- prepared as directed
    1/2 pound bacon -- raw

Spread sauerkraut in bottom of a 13"x9"x2" pan and set aside

In a large saucepan over medium high heat, brown beef, pork and onion in oil.

Stir tomato sauce, rice, milk, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder into pan.

Wrap 1/2 cup of meat mixture in each leaf of cabbage and secure with toothpicks.

Lay rolls on sauerkraut, pour tomato soup evenly over rolls and lay strips of bacon over rolls.

Bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours.

Description:
    "Hungarian Cabbage Rolls"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

I made these cabbage rolls for supper club on Saturday, and found them to be really delicious; I am going to use the rest of the sausage to make some more!

I made it more or less according to the recipe, but I used regular cabbage, and a 1/2-1/2 mix of regular Italian sausage and ground turkey (85/15). Also, I was pressed for time, so I just browned the meat, then mixed in the vegetable/bulgur mixture. I put the rolls in a pan in the toaster oven to heat for a while (on top of shredded cabbage and ~1/2 cup chicken broth, covered), but I didn't have to worry about getting the sausage cooked through as I would have if the sausage had been raw when I stuffed the rolls.

Whole Grain and Italian Sausage–Stuffed Cabbage

2 cups water
    1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms, crushed (about 1/2 ounce)
    1 1/4 cups uncooked bulgur
    2 teaspoons butter
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    2/3 cup finely chopped celery
    2/3 cup finely chopped carrot
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage
    12 large Savoy cabbage leaves
    2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
    1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preparation
    1. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in mushrooms; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes.
    2. Uncover pan; bring mushroom mixture to a boil. Stir in bulgur; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Spoon bulgur mixture into a large bowl.
    3. Heat butter and oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic to pan; sauté 7 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Add vegetables to bulgur mixture; cool slightly. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove casings from sausage. Crumble sausage into bulgur mixture; stir well to combine.
    4. Add water to a large Dutch oven to a depth of 2 inches; set a large vegetable steamer in pan. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add cabbage leaves to steamer. Steam cabbage, covered, 6 minutes or until tender and pliable. Remove cabbage from steamer (do not drain water). Rinse cabbage with cold water; drain and pat dry.
    5. Working with one cabbage leaf at a time, place 1/2 cup bulgur mixture in center of leaf. Fold in edges of leaf; roll up. Repeat procedure with the remaining cabbage leaves and bulgur mixture to form 12 cabbage rolls. Stack rolls evenly in steamer.
    6. Return Dutch oven to medium-high heat; bring water to a boil. Steam rolls, covered, 30 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
    7. Combine tomatoes, red wine vinegar, and sugar in saucepan; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Serve sauce with rolls.

Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough, Cooking Light
    MAY 2008

Here's a great vegetarian one I use, from Susan Costner's Good Friends, Great Dinners

CABBAGE STUFFED WITH MUSHROOMS, WALNUTS AND BULGUR
    (12 rolls)

1 Lrg head cabbage, regular or Savoy, (about 3 lbs.) tough outer leaves removed
    3 Tbsp unsalted butter
    1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
    1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
    2 celery stalks, finely chopped
    1 lb fresh shitake or white button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
    2 C bulgur, cooked according to package directions
    1/4 C finely chopped fresh parsley
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1/4 C walnuts, toasted for 10 minutes at 350 F, then coarsely chopped
    Tomato-Caraway Coulis (recipe follows)
    garnish: 1/2 C sour cream, dill or fennel sprigs

Cut out the deep core of the cabbage and discard. Bring a large pot of salted water to a simmer. Add the cabbage and cook until you can easily remove the largest leaves, about 5 minutes.

Remove from the water and drain well. Carefully separate 12 of the largest leaves-- if not soft enough to roll easily, return them to the pot and cook until just tender. Cut the tough central rib of each leaf. Pat dry and set aside.

Melt the butter in a large skillet, add the garlic, scallions and celery and saute just until tender. Add the mushrooms and saute over medium heat, stirring frequently, until all the liquid has evaporated from the mushrooms. Add the cooked bulgur, parsley, dill, and salt and pepper. Stir in the walnuts and heat thoroughly.

Place the cabbgae leaves, curly side up, on a clean flat surface. Fill each with 3-4 Tbsp of the stuffing. Fold up the bottom edge, fold in both sides, and roll up towards the top edge. Place seam-side down in one layer in a large casserole.

Add the coulis and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Serve the stuffed cabbage, whole or sliced, with some of the sauce, a dollop of sour cream and dill sprigs.

TOMATO-CARAWAY COULIS

1/2 small onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
    2 Tbsp unsalted butter
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    4 C coarsely chopped, canned drained plum tomatoes
    1/4 tsp sugar
    1 bay leaf
    2 tsp caraway seeds
    1 1-inch piece dried orange peel
    1 Tbsp tomato paste
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a saucepan, saute the garlic and onion in the butter and oil until tender but not brown. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, bay leaf, caraway and orange peel. Cook, covered, over low heat for 10 minutes; then uncover, add tomato paste, and cook for 10-15 minutes more. Discard bay leaf and peel. Use as is or force through a food mill. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper.

***Mari's notes-- In the menu given, these rolls are served (2 per serving, but my guests each managed only 1!) with Irish Soda bread, but I make Lori's Irish Soda Bread muffins in giant muffin cups instead, alongside fresh creamed corn and marinated 2-bean salad or green beans.

This is a great cabbage roll, nutty and filling and different than the norm. I baked mine a little early instead of simmering, and they kept fine, warm in the oven without a covering. They could easily go vegan using EVOO instead of butter, or be cheesed up with a parmesan topping.