Community Message Boards

Thread: Chicken dish for crowd

Chicken dish for crowd

We are having a fall party. I am looking for a chicken dish that would go in the oven and serve lots of people. I am also making some other things but they will have seafood in them so really need something chickeny for the non seafood guests. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Are we talking fancy or casual???

I was thinking King Ranch Chicken or Chicken Lasagna Florentine are always tastey and loved by many. Chicken Spaghetti is a good choice also.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Chicken Veronique is one of my favorites (and I haven't made it in years, that needs to change, and soon!). It is chicken with grapes and mushrooms in a white wine sauce, I'd be happy to post if you're interested.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

How about Chicken Cacciatore?
    A well rounded person is perfectly pointless. - Carrie

I would love the Chicken Veronique recipe if you don't mind posting it.

THANKS!!!

maura

This comes from a cookbook that my mother bought while we were living in Chile in 1991-1992. Every recipe is in both english and spanish and it is my most treasured cookbook. I made this recipe for my mom while we were living there to celebrate her 40th birthday. I was 15 and my best friend came over and helped me get everything ready. Later when I moved into a house during college my mom came to visit and we decided to make this recipe for my roommates. We came home to cook and went to open the bottle of wine. I was only 19 and didn't have a corkscrew. I gained true respect for my mom that night when she said to get a dime, a screwdriver and a hammer and lo and behold the bottle was open! It brings back such sweet memories, I hope you try it and enjoy!

Chicken Veronique
    Serves 6

3 whole chicken breasts; cut each one into 4 pieces
    1/2 cup flour
    salt and pepper
    4 Tbsps butter
    1/4 cup diced onion
    1/4 cup chicken stock
    3/4 cup white wine
    1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
    3 Tbsp butter
    2 cups seedless grapes, peeled (I never peel, just slice in half)

Shake the chicken in a bag with flour, salt and pepper Heat the 5 Tbsps butter in a frying pan and quickly brown the chicken on all sides. Arrange the pieces in a large shallow baking pan or casserole.

Add the onion to the butter remaining in the frying pan and cook until soft. Add the stock and the wine and bring to the boil. Then pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover and bake for 40 minutes at 375. Meanwhile saute the mushrooms in the 3 Tbsps of butter. Add the mushrooms and the grapes to the chicken and bake for a further 10 minutes.

Suggested wine: Santa Emiliana Gewurtztraminer

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

One of the girls made this for our cooking club - I wasn't there that night, but everyone LOVED it!

Chicken and Chips

2 cups diced cooked chicken
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup picante sauce
    1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
    1 cup cheddar cheese
    2 cups crushed tortilla chips

Combine chicken, soup, sour cream, and picante. Mix well. Spoon half of mixture into lightly greased 2 quart casserole. Top with 1 cup of cheese and 1 cup of chips. Repeat same for next layer. Bake uncovered at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

*I always at least double this recipe! I also usually use mild salsa instead of picante...

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007
    ..........I was only 19 and didn't have a corkscrew. I gained true respect for my mom that night when she said to get a dime, a screwdriver and a hammer and lo and behold the bottle was open! ...
    Care to explain? I am often caught with a bottle of wine and no corkscrew :mad: and would sure like to know how she did it!
    Miche

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A
    Are we talking fancy or casual???

I was thinking King Ranch Chicken or Chicken Lasagna Florentine are always tastey and loved by many. Chicken Spaghetti is a good choice also.
    Very casual, fix your plate in the kitchen and eat around the bonfire. What is King Ranch Chicken???

I just noticed that was my 100th post. It only took me 5 years. Am I slow or what?

Light King Ranch Chicken Casserole
    From Southern Living

Serve with a veggie-loaded salad and vinaigrette. For added Southwest flavor, whisk a few dashes of hot sauce into the dressing.

1 large onion, chopped
    1 large green bell pepper, chopped
    Vegetable cooking spray
    2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
    1 (10-ounce) can fat-free cream of chicken soup, undiluted
    1 (10-ounce) can fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    1 (10-ounce) can diced tomato and green chiles
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
    1 (8-ounce) block reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded

Saut onion and bell pepper in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender.
    Stir in chicken and next 6 ingredients; remove from heat.

Tear tortillas into 1-inch pieces; layer one-third tortilla pieces in bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with one-third chicken mixture and one-third cheese. Repeat layers twice.

Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly.

Note: Freeze casserole up to 1 month, if desired. Thaw in refrigerator overnight, and bake as directed.

Yield: Makes 8 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 282(32% from fat); FAT 9.9g (sat 5g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 21g; CHOLESTEROL 54.4mg; CALCIUM 248mg; SODIUM 947mg; FIBER 3.1g; IRON 0.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 26.4g
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

A friend just sent me this recipe so I haven't tried it yet but it looks good!

Chicken Artichoke Casserole

Easy White Sauce*
    6 Tbsp. butter or margarine
    6 Tbsp. flour
    tsp. salt
    tsp. pepper
    1 cup milk

Casserole
    2 cups julienne cut carrots
    cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/3 cup chopped green onions
    1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
    cup milk
    cup dry sherry
    2 cups cubed cooked chicken
    2 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
    8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 cups cooked white rice
    1 cups cooked wild rice
    1 2 cans artichoke hearts, drained, quartered
    cup grated Parmesan cheese
    chopped parsley

10-12 servings Oven 350˚

Melt butter in Microwave, stir in flour and add milk gradually, stirring well. Cook 1 minute at a time, stirring often until mixtures thickens and boils. Add salt and pepper and stir.

Heat oven to 350˚. Grease 9x13 pan. Cook and stir carrots, green pepper and onions in margarine until crisp- tender. Stir in white sauce, cup milk and sherry. Add chicken bacon and mozzarella cheese. Blend well and remove from heat.
    Combine white and wild rice, and spread over bottom of baking dish. Add artichokes then spread chicken sauce mixture over all. Sprinkle with Parmesan and parsley & cover with foil.
    Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 or 20 min. longer

* Can use 2 cans condensed Cream of Chicken soup instead of the white sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by mmbedard
    Care to explain? I am often caught with a bottle of wine and no corkscrew :mad: and would sure like to know how she did it!
    Dime goes on top of the cork, then put the screwdriver tip down on the dime and then tap the end of the screwdriver into the dime with the hammer so eventually the cork and the dime actually end up in the bottle of wine but when you're desperate you'll do anything!

Of course, in my adulthood I've just started carry a corkscrew in my glove compartment.

I just made Giada's Roman Chicken and it was delicious. I used some chicken thighs and some boneless breasts - I think for a crowd you could double or triple the recipe and use boneless breasts cut into smaller pieces..and serve the whole thing over spaghetti (the sauce is thin but delicious with pasta). As the recipe suggests, I did make this over two days. However, on the second day I had to warm it up in the oven instead of on the stove, b/c I doubled the recipe. [I heated it for about 45 minutes at 350] The leftovers have been excellent (again, with the pasta) for several days.
    I also used pancetta instead of prosciutto, and used (probably) about half the olive oil in the first step than was called for - I would highly recommend both changes.

Quote Originally Posted by melkel
    I just made Giada's Roman Chicken and it was delicious.
    I love this dish! Since trying it last month I have made it 3 times.

I would also suggest...............

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Vinaigrette

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 garlic cloves -- chopped
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 whole chicken -- (4-pound) cut into
    pieces (giblets, neck and backbone
    reserved for another use)
    1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

Whisk the vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend. Combine the vinaigrette and chicken pieces in a large resealable plastic bag; seal the bag and toss to coat. Refrigerate, turning the chicken pieces occasionally, for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove chicken from the bag and arrange the chicken pieces on a large greased baking dish. Roast until the chicken is just cooked through, about 1 hour. If your chicken browns too quickly, cover it with foil for the remaining cooking time. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Place the baking dish on a burner over medium-low heat. Whisk the chicken broth into the pan drippings, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the baking sheet with a wooden spoon and mixing them into the broth and pan drippings. Drizzle the pan drippings over the chicken. Sprinkle the lemon zest and parsley over the chicken, and serve.

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    Show: Everyday Italian
    Episode: Dinner and a Movie

OR

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crispy Chicken With Basil and Sweet Tomatoes

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 chicken drumsticks and 4 chicken quarters
    (legs and thighs joined)
    sea salt and freshly ground pepper
    a big bunch of fresh basil -- rough chopped
    1 lb cherry tomatoes -- halved
    10 cloves garlic -- chopped
    olive oil
    1 1/2 lbs new potatoes -- scrubbed and
    chopped in bite-size pieces

Preheat oven to 275. Season the chicken pieces with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and put them in a snug-fitting pan in one layer. Throw in all the basil leaves, the halved cherry tomatoes and the potatoes. Scatter the garlic cloves into the pan and drizzle over some olive oil. Mix around, pushing the tomatoes and potatoes underneath the chicken. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Take it out, and stir it all around a bit and raise the heat to 325 and cook for another 2 hours. It's done when you see clear juice coming from the chicken when pierced and the meat falls off the bone. Serve over buttered rice, hot mashed potatoes or linguine.

Jamie Oliver
    posted by MISSINDI CLBB

ooh ooh!! Make the Cripsy Chicken!! Easy, delicious, and perfect for a crowd!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

These all look great!! It is nice to have some new things to try and serve!! Thursday we are trying the Crispy Chicken cause I have all the stuff for it.
    We are going to be trying chicken receipes all next week, thanks to y'all. Then the King Ranch Chicken. It looks easy to serve and eat, not to have a big piece of chicken to try and eat with only your knees as a table. But I don't care for mushy tortillas so I think I will use the chips from the other receipe.
    The Chicken Veronique looks great too and then the one with the Artichokes...I love Artichokes. Well, I have to try them all so will let you know what we end up serving but I know we will enjoy trying them!
    Now, any ideas for a few appetizers? That is always my downfall. Desserts, way too many ideas. Appetizers? No ideas.

Here is the thread that I posted the review for the chicken, you may want to read through; I made a few changes to the recipe, but i'm sure it's just as delicious as written!

Crispy Chicken

Giada's Roman Chicken

Could someone please post the recipe for the Roman Chicken? I have one of her cookbooks at home and I'll check to see if it is in there. Thanks so much!

I vote for Chicken Spaghetti!! I make it whenever we are having guests with kids, or for potlucks. It's easy to double, triple, whatever.

Chicken Spaghetti

1 pkg chicken thighs (or other parts; I use about 8 thighs)
    2 T. butter
    1 onion, chopped
    12 oz spaghetti
    1 can Cream of Chicken soup
    1 can Ro-tel tomatoes
    1 small pkg Velveeta, cubed

Cook chicken in a pot of water; remove chicken when done and save 1 1/2 c. of the chicken broth. Use the remaining broth, plus water if needed, to cook the spaghetti. While the spaghetti is cooking, take chicken off the bone and chop or shred. Drain the spaghetti. In the same pot, melt the butter, add the onion and saute until soft. Add the soup, tomatoes, broth and cheese; stir until melted and all is bubbling. Stir in the spaghetti and chicken.
    Pour into a greased 13x9x2 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous