Community Message Boards

Thread: recommendations on ginger for upset stomach

recommendations on ginger for upset stomach

My dad is taking meds that make him nauseous. The Dr said to eat things with ginger that helps with it Well he is a meat and potatoes person.

he will drink gingerale, but I am stumped at what else he will eat wit ginger that will help him settle his stomach

Thanks

Laurie

Gingersnaps have helped my DH, along with ginger capsules. TJ's also has ginger chews, which we bought the other day, but have not tried, yet...

Good luck with this -- it's so hard to remember why you're taking the medicine when it makes you sick!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

You can steep fresh ginger in hot water to make a "tea" out of it. You can add some honey and/or lemon to make it taste a little better.

Hope he is feeling better soon!
    - Kiran

Ginger tea made with either water or apple juice is good. Gingerbread, gingersnaps, and lots of pupmkin recipes have ginger as an ingredient.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I was going to mention the ginger tea (I had some this weekend that was yummy) and I also like to munch on candied ginger, especially when I get carsick. I know a couple of people who used that during chemo and it helped quite a bit.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Candied ginger!! It works wonders for me. I keep a bag of it in the pantry all the time. You can get it at a health food store and some grocery stores. It's great on ice cream, in baked goods, in hot tea, and just eaten plain!
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

I love the Ginger Ginseng tea from Tealuxe. Also like ginger chews.

This biscotti recipe from CL is really good and it uses crystalized ginger and ground ginger:

Lemon-Ginger Biscotti

Seal these crunchy cookies in a tin, and give them with your recipient's favorite coffee, tea, or bottle of port. Or pile some biscotti in a jumbo latte cup with the recipe tied to the handle.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
    2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    3 large eggs
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon water
    1 large egg white
    1 tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in crystallized ginger. Combine rind, juice, and whole eggs; add to flour mixture, stirring until well blended (dough will be crumbly). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 7 or 8 times. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a 9-inch-long roll. Place rolls 6 inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; flatten each roll to a 1-inch thickness. Combine water and egg white, and brush over rolls. Sprinkle rolls evenly with 1 tablespoon sugar.

Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Remove rolls from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut each roll diagonally into 15 (3/4-inch) slices. Carefully stand slices upright on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 325°; bake 20 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in the center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on a wire rack.

Yield: 2 1/2 dozen (serving size: 1 biscotto)

CALORIES 77 (7% from fat); FAT 0.6g (sat 0.2g,mono 0.2g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 1.8g; CHOLESTEROL 21mg; CALCIUM 6mg; SODIUM 70mg; FIBER 0.3g; IRON 0.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 16.1g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2003
    Sarah

You can add chopped up ginger to chicken broth, simmer for a while, then drink or strain it out if he doesn't like the texture. I usually add some garlic too.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

thanks for your ideas. I think it may be trial and error. I dont think he will eat the candied ginger, but will give it a try. he cant have too much of that because he is diabetic. he doesnt drink hot drinks but maybe a cold gingered ice tea. I like the chicken soup idea.

I found the best tasting treat at Target the other day. I know you said he wouldn't want candied ginger but I got a dark chocolate bar with crystallized ginger in it. WOW!! I usually only eat a square of chocolate every once in a while but I ate half the bar! I can't wait to eat the other half. The upside to the chocolate bar is if he doesn't like it you might have to finish it off for him

OOPS!! Must have been posting close to the same time because I just read the diabetic part.

How about ginger ice cream?
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

Ginger AND chicken soup...would he eat this?

Chicken Noodle Soup with Dill
    from Wendy w

10 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium or homemade
    3 medium carrots -- peeled and diced
    3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    6 cloves garlic -- minced
    4 ounces dried egg noodles -- 3 cups
    4 cups shredded cooked chicken (approx 1 lb)
    3 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    1 tablespoon lemon juice -- or to taste

Bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add carrots, celery, ginger, and garlic: cook, uncovered, over medium heat until vegetables are just tender, about 20 minutes.

Add noodles and chicken, continue cooking until the noodles are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in dill and lemon juice.

Canice's notes: Celery is missing from the ingredient list so used 3 stalks. I only had 3 cups of chicken and that was plenty for me. Upped the dill, garlic, and lemon. 20 minutes is too long to cook the carrots and celery IMO - I'll try 10 next time.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I just remembered that I have some of this Lemon Ginger Pasta at home, I haven't made it yet but since I love ginger I'm looking forward to it:

http://www.pappardellesonline.com/servlet/Detail?no=90

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

This is a popular topic (seasickness remedies) on one of the cruise boards I hang out at... folks recommend ginger pills (available in the health food section of the grocery store) or Ginger Altoids, which I think somebody mentioned they had bought at Target. I've never looked for them so I can't be sure about it.

Hope this helps!!
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

Candied Ginger

I suffered with motion sickness my whole life until I started chewing a little candied ginger before taking off on an airplane. I only eat a 1/2"x1/2" piece. Any more & it gives me heartburn. I wouldn't worry about the little bit of sugar on it. I don't think he'll get much help from ginger if it's cooked in a dish, except maybe gingersnaps. I buy bulk candied ginger at Whole Foods - much cheaper than the prepackaged stuff at the grocery. Hope Dad feels better.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions here. Just thought I'd mention that most commercial ginger ale actually doesn't have any ginger in it.

Also check your health food store. Ginger is an anti-inflammatory and now our health food store has a whole section of anti-inflammatory capsules of some sort.

I often make ginger tea by boiling sliced gingerroot and then adding lemon and a bit of agave nectar (which I believe has a lower glycemic index than other sweeteners?). If I'm feeling like I'm coming down with something I add a pinch of cayenne as well.

You might also try sprinkling powdered ginger in coffee, tea or other drinks. You could also boil down some sliced fresh gingeroot and mix it with some sparkling water and something else to sweeten it for a refreshing drink.

thanks for all of the great ideas.

I am going to try some of that candied ginger first to see if he can tolerate the flavor and also check out those ginger pills. He is alsodealing with no appetite so it hard enough to get him to something he does like.

That chicken noodle soup look so good

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by Laurielee
    My dad is taking meds that make him nauseous. The Dr said to eat things with ginger that helps with it Laurie
    If your Father's Doctor made that recommendation I am really surprised that the Doctor, or his staff, couldn't give you more specific suggestions. I would certainly feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Clover
    You've gotten a lot of good suggestions here. Just thought I'd mention that most commercial ginger ale actually doesn't have any ginger in it.
    I was also going to mention that ginger ale from a natural foods store is the way to go. But the flavor and intensity vary significantly, so it may take trying a number of different brands (take notes!). Some are "hot" and some are really sweet, etc. But the good ones are REALLY good.

Oh, and that soup is a winner, Laurie: Ginger, garlic, lemon, and chicken noodle all in one bowl...a real cure-all!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by suebear37
    This is a popular topic (seasickness remedies) on one of the cruise boards I hang out at... folks recommend ginger pills (available in the health food section of the grocery store) or Ginger Altoids, which I think somebody mentioned they had bought at Target.
    I love the taste of ginger, and I bought the Ginger Altoids. WOW are they powerful! You could eat an onion and garlic sandwich and those babies would knock out any halitosis! When I had an upset stomach some weeks ago, I tried an experiment to see if they would help - they did!

I also like Jamaican Ginger Beer. Some of the varieties are quite strong, also very bubbly. They are loaded with ginger, and not as much sugar as the regular sodas. Although I do like Schwepps. It's a good idea to let any gingerale/ginger beer go alittle flat so the carbonation doesn't add to the stomach upset.

Also have your DF try the accupressure points to fight nausea - deeply massage the web area between the thumb and index finger, or on the underside of the wrist, toward the little finger. Maybe this will help...
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Thought I would post an update. I decided to try the easiest thing first, candied ginger. Well even though I said he wouldnt eat it, he has been and it has helped tremendously.

thanks again for all of your tips.

Laurie

I'm glad to hear that its helping.