Community Message Boards

Thread: Bleach for Dummies ***

Talking Bleach for Dummies ***

After reading the other bleach thread just wondering if someone could explain how & why you do the following things:

1) "Clean" the washing machine

2) Use bleach when washing towels & sheets

Thanks!

I don't use bleach to clean my washing machine. It doesn't need cleaning.

I do use bleach to whiten and disinfect my towels and sheets. Towels get rubbed in all kinds of icky places, and I have very greasy skin and hair, plus my dogs hang out in my bed, so I like to have any kind of bacteria (and also dust mites that are in everyone's beds naturally) removed from my bedding. If nothing else, it makes me feel better and I love the smell of fresh sheets, pillow cases and towels. LOVE it.

I put the bleach in the bleach dispenser (only need 1/3 cup) in my machine, and run the "whitest whites" cycle - which uses very hot water.

Grace,

When washing towels/sheets do you wash them seperately from other white clothes?

Thanks!

No, I put all clothes/items that need to be bleached together. There's no reason (IMO) to separate them. Hot water with bleach is hot water with bleach.

Grace,
    Are all your towels and sheets white? So you'd be using regular bleach? Or are some colored, and thus a person would use some special color-safe bleach?
    Related question- Does color safe bleach just 'brighten' colors, or does it really disinfect like regular plain bleach?
    TIA!
    -dreamer