Community Message Boards

Thread: ideas for egg roll wrappers

ideas for egg roll wrappers

I bought and used some egg roll wrappers for a baked egg roll ground turkey recipe this week. It was so incredibly yummy, but our minds are churning trying to think of other things to stuff inside the wrappers. We are going to try a mexican egg roll: chicken, black beans, corn, onion, etc, dipped in salsa or ranch dressing.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Are there any sweet/dessert ideas?

Thanks!

Here's one Giada did on Food TV a while back:

Chocolate-Hazelnut Ravioli
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    Show: Everyday Italian
    Episode: I Love Chocolate

16 wonton wrappers
    1 egg, beaten to blend
    1 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
    Vegetable oil, for frying
    16 fresh mint leaves
    Nonstick vegetable oil spray
    Granulated sugar, for dredging
    Powdered sugar, for dusting

Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Place 1 wonton wrapper on the work surface. Brush the edges of the wrapper lightly with egg. Spoon 1 tablespoon of chocolate-hazelnut spread into the center of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper diagonally in half over the filling and press the edges of the wrapper to seal. Place the ravioli on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining wonton wrappers, egg, and chocolate-hazelnut spread.
    Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Add enough oil to a heavy large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F.

Working in batches, carefully add the ravioli to the hot oil and cook until they are golden brown, about 45 seconds per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the ravioli to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Then, transfer the cooked ravioli to another baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven while frying the remaining ravioli. (The fried ravioli can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool them completely, then cover and refrigerate. Before serving, place them on a baking sheet and rewarm in a preheated 375 degrees F oven just until they are heated through, about 7 minutes.)

Spray the top side of the mint leaves very lightly with nonstick spray. Working with 1 leaf at a time, dredge the coated side of the leaves in sugar to coat lightly.

Arrange 2 fried ravioli on each plate. Dust the ravioli with powdered sugar. Garnish with the sugared mint leaves and serve.

OOOOH, Mexican ones sound great! This recipe is for a wonton appetiser but it is sooooo good that it would be great using larger wrappers:

Chicken and Peach Wontons

INGREDIENTS

Wonton mixture:
    225 g ground raw chicken
    60 ml pineapple juice
    45 ml chopped green onion
    15 ml soy sauce
    5 ml fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
    120 ml fresh peaches, peeled, finely chopped (I have used frozen peaches, too)
    2 ml crushed red pepper
    36 wonton wrapers
    cooking oil for frying

Directions:
    1. For the filling, saute chicken until no longer pink, drain excess juice.
    Add pineapple juice, green onion, soy sauce and ginger, bring to a boil then simmer for 4 minutes.
    Stir in peaches and pepper, cool mixture.
    To fill, spoon 1 rounded tablespoon of mixture into the center of each wonton, brush edges with water.
    Fold the four sides together toward center, pinching corners.
    Heat oil in deep fryer to 365f, fry wontons, four at a time till golden brown.
    Remove from oil and place on a towel to take off excess oil.
    Makes 36 wontons.
    Note: freeze on baking sheet about 30 minutes after they have cooled. To serve reheat in a 350 for about 8-10 minutes.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I made this for my inlaws and they loved it!
    www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/20265/

I used mine to make the Butternut Squash and Hazelnut Lasagne from Epicurious (only I used walnuts and Hubbard Squash!) Very good!!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/105911

There is a Weight Watchers Recipe called Apple Dumblings that uses the eggroll wrappers. You peel, core and slice the apple, roll it in a cinnamon, brown sugar,corn starch mixture and then wrap it in the eggroll wrapper and bake.
    I wear my toolbelt in the kitchen...

Quote Originally Posted by LLR
    Here's one Giada did on Food TV a while back:

Chocolate-Hazelnut Ravioli
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    Show: Everyday Italian
    Episode: I Love Chocolate

16 wonton wrappers
    1 egg, beaten to blend
    1 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
    Vegetable oil, for frying
    16 fresh mint leaves
    Nonstick vegetable oil spray
    Granulated sugar, for dredging
    Powdered sugar, for dusting

Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Place 1 wonton wrapper on the work surface. Brush the edges of the wrapper lightly with egg. Spoon 1 tablespoon of chocolate-hazelnut spread into the center of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper diagonally in half over the filling and press the edges of the wrapper to seal. Place the ravioli on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining wonton wrappers, egg, and chocolate-hazelnut spread.
    Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Add enough oil to a heavy large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F.

Working in batches, carefully add the ravioli to the hot oil and cook until they are golden brown, about 45 seconds per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the ravioli to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Then, transfer the cooked ravioli to another baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven while frying the remaining ravioli. (The fried ravioli can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool them completely, then cover and refrigerate. Before serving, place them on a baking sheet and rewarm in a preheated 375 degrees F oven just until they are heated through, about 7 minutes.)

Spray the top side of the mint leaves very lightly with nonstick spray. Working with 1 leaf at a time, dredge the coated side of the leaves in sugar to coat lightly.

Arrange 2 fried ravioli on each plate. Dust the ravioli with powdered sugar. Garnish with the sugared mint leaves and serve.
    i have done something similar and added a few of my ingredient before and my family loves it!

Quote Originally Posted by islandgirl
    I made this for my inlaws and they loved it!
    www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/20265/

My husband requests this every week since I first made it. I keep the extra wrappers in the freezer for the next time. Then just thaw them in the fridge.
    ~angela~
    sophleniko

"I dont like gourmet cooking or 'this' cooking or 'that' cooking. I like good cooking."
    James Beard

I fill mine with a ravioli-type stuffing, then glaze with egg whites and roll in a mixture of breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, then bake. I usually serve it with a pasta sauce.

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

we get this at a thai resturaunt by us, and my fiance makes them at home:

roll 1/4 of a banana in the wrapper, then deep fry them until golden brown. Sprinkle or roll in cinnamon and sugar mixture. drizzle with honey. eat while still warm

sooo good
    I'm walking in the avon walk for breast cancer AGAIN for the 5th year (2008)!

Donate Here