Community Message Boards

Thread: Baking potatoes in the Crock Pot?

Baking potatoes in the Crock Pot?

Has anyone done this? How long do you think it would take to do four rather enormous baking potatoes on HI?

Trying to plan for tonight's dinner without me - I could set it up now, but is four hours enough?

TIA
    Laurie

While I never tried this myself, I checked my crockpot cookbook and came up with this...............

4 large baking potatoes

butter-flavored non-stick cooking spray

Wash and scrub potatoes thoroughly. Pierce them, as you would for oven baking. Spray liner of crockpot with cooking spray, and coat potatoes evenly with the same. Place in crockpot on low setting for 6-7 hours or on high setting for 3-4 hours. Check for doneness by piercing with a fork.

Serves 4.
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

I make baked potatoes (regular and sweet) in my crockpot all the time. I would agree with the previous post; I usually do mine all day on Low, so 4 hours seems about right on High. You can wrap them in foil if you like, but you don't have to do so. Sometimes I do that when I'm having a lot of guests or want plenty for the rest of the week.
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

Thanks!

...that is just want I wanted to know! And I didn't think about sweet potatoes - that sounds like a great idea, too.

This BB is such a great resource with so many informed readers!
    Laurie

that's a GREAT idea! i never would have thought of that! if you wrap them in foil, do you still spray the crock and potatoes?

I don't ever spray my crockpot anyway. If they aren't wrapped in foil, I rub them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and maybe some other seasonings. That's it - no big deal!
    Lynne

-- Anonymous

I'd love to use my crock pot for potatoes, but do you just pile them in? Or do they have to be sitting on the bottom?
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Yep, I pile them in! Nothing fancy or hard about it!
    Lynne

-- Anonymous

Golden1225,

Do you also pierce the potatoes before putting in the crock pot?

Thanks.
    "You can live a perfectly normal life if you accept the fact that your life will never be perfectly normal." -Randy Glasbergen

Yes, I pierce the potatoes, coat them with olive oil and seasonings, and then depending on the occasion, either wrap or don't!
    Lynne

-- Anonymous

Thanks!! I can't wait to try it out!

So, what is the advantage of this over nuking them in the microwave? Do they come out with a crisp skin?
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

No, the skins aren't crispy. However, they sure are tasty!! The main advantage for me is that when I get home, they're ready. I can focus on whatever else it is I need to fix. Sometimes I even have two other crockpots going so EVERYTHING is done, except for a salad! It's especially helpful if we are having company; I can cook a LOT of potatoes in my big crockpot if I need to do so.
    Lynne

-- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by golden1225
    No, the skins aren't crispy. However, they sure are tasty!! The main advantage for me is that when I get home, they're ready. I can focus on whatever else it is I need to fix. Sometimes I even have two other crockpots going so EVERYTHING is done, except for a salad! It's especially helpful if we are having company; I can cook a LOT of potatoes in my big crockpot if I need to do so.
    WOW! so since you cook in your crockpot so often, you must have a few favorites, right? would you mind sharing them? i loooove my crockpot, and have made quite a few things in it, but have only a handful of ones that i repeat. i'm always on the lookout

i can't wait to try this "baked" potato thing! such a great idea!!

I dont' know why i'm so excited to try it in the crockpot when as Tyra pointed out, you can make them in the micro! But nevertheless, I am!!

SheRa - have you made the Thai Chicken and the Italian Beef crockpot recipes? Or the CL All American Chili? I have made all of those recently in the crockpot and they all turned out great. I also made French Onion soup yesterday and we really liked it (although it's a Sandra Lee recipe so I won't post it!).

Crockpot potato update!

Ever the baked potato lover, I decided to try this in my rarely used crockpot today. (It was a gift last Christmas. This was my second use!)

The results: Fantastic! Of course, my husband is skeptical. He can't see the difference between doing them in the crockpot and doing them in the microwave. (Then again, he doesn't get home from class at 9 p.m. You can only do Lean Cuisine so many times!) The texture is much better than a nuked potato, and the skin -- yes, crispy -- actually has some heft to it.

For the record, I did not pierce the potatoes (I don't care for the texture after steaming) and did not spray the crock insert. I didn't use olive oil, either.

I look forward to tomorrow's sweet potato. Thank you.

Thanks for posting your results Jennifer. I'm definitely going to try it out!

Jennifer8,

Did you wrap the potatoes in foil? Did you do both sweet and russet potatoes at the same time or are you just going to try the sweet tomorrow?

Thanks in advance!
    "You can live a perfectly normal life if you accept the fact that your life will never be perfectly normal." -Randy Glasbergen

Crockpot potato update!

I did not wrap the potatoes in foil. All I did was scrub 'em and drop 'em in the crockpot on low. (They were done in about five hours; I'd put them on low for eight.)

I'd hoped to try the sweet potatoes today, but DH has usurped the crockpot to improvise something involving beef and wine.