Community Message Boards

Thread: Baking w/ Protein Powder

Baking w/ Protein Powder

DBF has been drinking (whey) protein shakes for breakfast lately. He's getting sick of drinking his breakfast and has requested that I make him some sort of bread/muffin/granola bar with the protein powder for his breakfast. Any suggestions or recommendations? I tried doing a search, but didn't come up with much...

TIA!
    Last edited by SaucyChef; 11-28-2006 at 08:46 PM.

My hubby too drinks protein shakes at least 3 times a week. usually after his workout. I would be interested too to see if you can cook with it. It would be nice to surpise him with protein pancakes.

Here is some info I found on the net..
    http://carbsmart.stores.yahoo.net/ranipp.html

What Kind Do You Buy? How Do You Use It?
    Protein powders can be used to make baked goods, breading, protein shakes, and much more. The recipe you're making will dictate what kind of protein powder you should use. Some are flour-like or grainy and are mediocre in a shake. Some are flavorful in a shake but coagulate if cooked. So let's take a look at the different uses and types.

For Breading
    Unflavored soy, soy/whey blend, or rice protein powder is a decent flour substitute. Dip poultry or fish into beaten egg and then dredge it in herbed protein powder and fry it. Or you can mix an egg, a little cream and water, and the protein powder to make a batter. I have used MLO and Naturade's soy/whey blends and they are good, basic, all-purpose flour-substitutes. Some soy and soy/whey powders are Fearn's, Doctor's Diet, MLO, and Naturade. We should count Atkins Bake Mix in this category, as well.

Rice protein powder makes a more delicate breading, but its carb count is slightly higher. For those avoiding soy, though, it is an excellent substitute. Nutribiotics and MLO make rice protein powders, but MLO is more than double the carb count of Nutribiotics, so I recommend the former.

For Pancakes, Waffles, and Quick Breads
    There are different recipes and different schools of thought on which protein powder to use for these. I find that most powders will work in muffins, but give different results, so go with what the recipe suggests as to type. I make muffins and pancakes all the time with MLO (soy/whey); they come out tender but fairly sturdy. Made with rice protein, they are much more delicate. Waffles can be made with any of the above with surprisingly nice results, however they don't have quite the same crispness that traditional (flour-based) waffles have.

For Baked Goods
    Again, let your recipe be your guide. Some bakers, such as Diana Lee (author of Baking Low Carb), use whey protein powder in conjunction with other ingredients such as gluten flour and oat flour. These combinations give a finer, more cake-like texture to dessert goods than the soy and soy/whey blends do. I haven't gotten the best results with whey protein alone in baked goods; the taste is better, but the finished product is generally dryer. Some cookies with a very high fat content, but which are fairly low in protein powder (such as peanut butter cookies) come out perfectly with whey protein alone.

I am sorry I can't offer any recipes or help, but I am also interested in this topic and want to keep an eye on the thread. Maybe someone else will have tested recipes to share!
    Thanks for starting the thread SaucyChef!
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by Aninha
    I am sorry I can't offer any recipes or help, but I am also interested in this topic and want to keep an eye on the thread. Maybe someone else will have tested recipes to share!
    Thanks for starting the thread SaucyChef!
    Ana
    I too am hoping for tested recipes... I have been wondering about this for some time as DH is into mass building so hence many protein shakes & bars. His metabolism is so high they are the only thing that keep him feeling "full" for a while. And they are SO expensive!!

Thanks for starting the thread SaucyChef and for the info, LeisuresKitchen!!

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...t=protein+bars

This thread has protein bars, muffins, cookies, etc recipes. I toss in a scoop of protein powder in my oatmeal every morning. I've successfully made pancakes, muffins, quick breads, cookies, etc (and all these can be frozen so you can have convenient quick protein rich homemade foods)with scoops of protein powder and reducing flour and/or increasing liquid to maintain the recipe ratios. Adding protein powder is a great way to ensure you are getting enough protein in a day. I workout pretty rigorously every day...cardio and weights and do best when i get 1 - 1.5gram of protein per lb of body weight. being able to grab a bar or a muffin (made with wheat flour of course :-) ) is a convenient way to easily spread out your protein intake all throughout the day. Also..i follow suggestions of pairing protein with carbs....example: a bowl of oatmeal alone is fairly high in carbs (even though they are complex carbs) but virtually no protein...by popping in a scoop or two of protein powder you've quickly got a balanced restorative breakfast (include fresh fruit too for breakfast (and veggies throughout the day)---i believe in natural foods and don't believe replacing whole foods too often with processed protein bars and meal replacement drinks will come even close to the vitamins, minerals, and fiber found in natural foods that are essential to our good health). We can only eat so much tuna however ,,,so supplementing whole food protein sources with some whey protein powder is an excellent means to maintaining and building muscle. It's worked for me for the past 9 years.

Here are a couple recipes I like.

Peanut Butter Protein Snack Bars

from The Ultimate Peanut Butter Book

3/4 cup pacled light brown sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1/4 cup honey
    1 cup creamy natural peanut butter
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    3 1/2 cups purchased granola cereal
    1 cup powdered nonfat dry milk
    1/4 cup unflavored soy protein powder

1. Lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray; set aside.

2. Mix the brown sugar, corn syrup, and honey in a small saucepan and set it over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil for 2 minutes undisturbed, then remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla.

3. Pour the peanut butter mixture into a large bowl. Add the granola, powdered milk, and soy protein powder. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until uniform and fairly cohesive. Gather the stiff, taffy-like mixture into a ball and press it into the prepared pan. Place the pan on a wire rack and cool completely, about 1 hour.

4. Turn the entire protein bar block out onto a cutting board, then use a large knife to slice it into 16 rectangular bars. Wrap the bars individually in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.

Makes 16 bars.

Homemade Protein Bars

from "Sunlight Cafe", by Mollie Katzen

Yield: about 20 medium-sized bars
    Prep time: 10 minutes, plus at least 30 minutes to bake

Nonstick spray
    1 cup soy protein powder
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    2 cups rolled oats
    1/2 cup oat bran
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 to 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    1 1/2 cups plain or vanilla yogurt
    1/4 cup canola oil
    2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350F (325F for glass pan). Lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking pan and a baking tray with nonstick spray.

2. Mix together the protein powder, flour, oats, oat bran, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Crumble in brown sugar, rubbing it with your fingers to break up any clumps. Stir in the chocolate chips.

3. Measure the yogurt, oil, and vanilla into a second bowl, stirring until well combined. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and mix patiently until thoroughly blended. (You may have to use your hands - it will be a thick batter, verging on a dough.)

4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, patting it evenly into place with your hands. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and cut into bars of any size or shape. Place the bars on the prepared baking tray and bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden around the edges. (For extra-crunchy bars, turn off the oven and leave them in there for up to 45 minutes longer.) Remove the bars from the oven and place them on a rack to cool.

5. Eat the bars within a few hours, or seal them in a heavy zip-style plastic bag and store in the freezer. For maximum crispness, "refresh" them in a toaster oven after defrosting.

*For nondairy bars, replace the yogurt with unsweetened applesauce, canned pumpkin, or mashed banana. (Or try the silken tofu option in the Protein Boosters box.) Add an extra pinch of salt if using pumpkin or silken tofu.
    *The range of sugar allows you to make these bars sweeter or not, according to your taste.

Protein Boosters
    *Replace the canola oil with 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter (softened in the microwave).
    *Replace the flour with quinoa, ground to a powder in a blender or an electric spice grinder.
    *Replace the yogurt with mashed silken tofu (soft or firm). Add an extra pinch of salt.
    *Add 2 to 3 tablespoons powdered egg whites.
    *Add up to 1 cup chopped nuts and/or sunflower seeds.

I have some in my recipe files-

Power Bars
    Alton Brown - Good Eats

4 ounces soy protein powder, approximately 1 cup
    2 1/4 ounces oat bran, approximately 1/2 cup
    2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1/2 cup
    3/4-ounce wheat germ, approximately 1/4 cup
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    3 ounces raisins, approximately 1/2 cup
    2 1/2 ounces dried cherries, approximately 1/2 cup
    3 ounces dried blueberries, approximately 1/2 cup
    2 1/2 ounces dried apricots, approximately 1/2 cup
    1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu
    1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice
    4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/2 cup packed
    2 large whole eggs, beaten
    2/3 cup natural peanut butter (or almond or cashew butter)
    Canola oil, for pan

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with canola oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ, and salt. Set aside.

Coarsely chop the raisins, dried cherries, blueberries and apricots and place in a small bowl and set aside.

In a third mixing bowl, whisk the tofu until smooth. Add the apple juice, brown sugar, eggs, and peanut butter, 1 at a time, and whisk to combine after each addition. Add this to the protein powder mixture and stir well to combine. Fold in the dried fruit. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week. (Or freeze for up to three months).

Nutritional info per bar: 154.01 kilocalories 21.08g carbs 8.41g protein 4.79g fat 2.14g fiber 91.92 mg sodium 17.78 mg cholesterol

Best Brownie Protein Bars

1/2 cup oat flour
    1/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup whey protein
    1/2 cup splenda
    1/3 cup cocoa
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 Tbs liquid lecithin
    1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
    1 tsp super strength chocolate flavoring (LorAnn's)

1 Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9x9 baking pan with wax paper.
    2 In a bowl combine all dry ingredients. Set aside. In a large bowl, with an electric beater, combine lecithin, cream cheese, eggs, Miracle Whip, and flavoring until light and fluffy. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix well. Pour batter into lined 9x9 square pan and smooth evenly.
    3 Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool slightly. Remove wax paper and cool completely. Cut into 9 bars.

Servings: 9

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 127.0 calories; 22% calories from fat; 3.3g total fat; 63.6mg cholesterol; 244.1mg sodium; 214.3mg potassium; 12.5g carbohydrates; 2.0g fiber; 2.6g sugar; 10.6g net carbs; 12.5g protein.
    Source unkown

No Bake Nutrition Bar Recipe

If you don't like the additives in store-bought nutrition bars or hate paying $3 for a meal replacement bar or protein bar snack, you'll appreciate this recipe. My friend Sara passed a recipe on to me from a Body-For-Life message board and I've modified based on some kitchen testing. These are quick to make and make for a nice little snack, too. Best of all, they contain healthy dietary fat, are no-sugar added and do not contain glycerine or other unnatural ingredients. Be sure to keep them refrigerated and don't eat the whole batch at once!

5 Tbs natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
    1/2 cup dry oats or whole grain hot cereal (uncooked)
    1/2 cup oat flour * (double the oats if you do not have oat flour)
    6 scoops chocolate whey protein (~132 grams protein)
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 Tbs flax seeds (optional)
    1 cup non-fat dry milk
    1/2 cup water (depending on what type of protein you use, you may need to add more)

1 Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well. Add peanut butter and mix - the mixture will be crumbly and dry. Add water & vanilla. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, everything until a dough forms. The dough will be sticky. Spread dough into pan using a clean wooden spoon or spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Refrigerate a few hours (or freeze for an hour) and cut into 9 squares. Wrap bars individually (use sandwich bags or plastic wrap) or store in covered container between sheets of wax paper. Keep refrigerated.
    2 Modifications: Use vanilla protein and replace ~1/4 cup of the oatflour with a variety of nuts, seeds, or dried berries. Chopped almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts, flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, or dried cranberries would all work well.
    3 * Making Oatmeal/Oat Flour: To make your own oat flour, all you need to do is put a cup or two of oatmeal in a regular household blender and blend it on high...it will turn into a flour. Store in a covered bowl in the pantry. It takes 1 minute and is VERY easy and cheap alternative to buying in the store.

Servings: 9

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 246.8 calories; 26% calories from fat; 7.7g total fat; 29.3mg cholesterol; 157.2mg sodium; 496.3mg potassium; 21.4g carbohydrates; 2.6g fiber; 10.7g sugar; 18.8g net carbs; 23.1g protein.

Recipe Source
    Author: Stella Juarez

Protien Power Bars

POWER BARS by Jenna

1 C vanilla soy or whey protein powder
    1/2 C flour(whole grain)
    2 C rolled oats(not instant)
    1/2 C oatbran
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 - 2/3 C brown sugar substitute
    1 C chocolate chips or raisins
    1 1/2 C vanilla yogurt
    1/2 C peanut butter, softened in microwave
    2 tsp. vanilla

Mix wet and dry ingredients separately, crumbling in the sugar by hand. Fold wet and dry together and pat into a lightly greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350' for 15 minutes; remove from oven, cut into bars and transfer to a baking sheet for 15 more minutes of baking, or until edges are golden brown. Cool completely and store in the freezer.

Chocolate & Peanut Butter Protein Bars
    from BodyTrends.com

Need a boost after your workout? This wonderful combination of flavors and moistness make this recipe from Body Trends one you will return to again and again. Not only does this recipe taste great, but it is good for you.

Ingredients:

2 Level scoops of chocolate soy or whey-based protein powder
    1 Tablespoon of natural peanut butter
    1/4 Cup steel cut oatmeal
    4 Egg whites
    1/4 Teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 Cup unsweetened applesauce
    Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Mix egg whites & uncooked oatmeal. Add remaining ingredients.
    Spray nonstick cooking spray in a 8"x8" baking dish. Spread mixture in an even layer, over the bottom of the dish. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the edge starts to pull away from the sides of the dish.
    Let cool for 5 minutes and cut into bars.
    Makes 9 bars

Nutritional information-
    Calories- 251
    Protein- 34g
    Fat- 7g
    Carbohydrates- 13g

This ones a shake and very yummy! It's from the South Beach diet boards and also very healthy.

This SB friendly homemade smoothie was concocted by our very own Santosha on these boards It became such a hit during the Fitness challenges and journal visiting I thought I would share it here for Santosha since she doesn't frequent the boards as much anymore. It's very good!!!

When you first look at the ingredients, they may shock you . . . we asked Santosha to post her recipe a long while back and every one of us cringed when we read it. Thus we jokingly termed it the "Grossout Smoothie" !! I've renamed it so that people will give it a chance

It's amazingly good, and there are many variations that you can use to make it suitable for your own taste. We are all hooked on it and I have one practically every day!! Hope you enjoy!

Quote:
    1 cup raw baby spinach (or more...I do two big handfuls)

1/2 cup berries of some sort (strawberries, mixed berries...whatever...I do the frozen ones - they seem to add better texture to the smoothie. I also do frozen mango. I bet banana would be good too....)

1 cup 8th Continent Light Vanilla Soy milk (if you're not a fan of soy milk, try NF milk w/vanilla and splenda...or SF vanilla syrup...) The 8th continent tastes like a Vanilla milkshake, I swear...it's sweet and vanilla-y...

Other "add-ins" - 1/3 cup tofu (silken, light, firm whatever...it all seems to work) OR whey powder OR cocoa OR any combination of all those...sometimes if it's too thick, I also thin it with either water OR apple juice (sshh...my guilty pleasure...I only add a little!)

Blend it up and gulp it down. It looks hideous because of the spinach, but it tastes yummy and is so healthy!

Tip: Do not omit the spinach in this drink. Especially if you dislike vegetables, or need to get more veggies into your diet! You can't taste it at all, the berries and vanilla flavor of the soymilk overpower the spinach and you taste a sweet fruit smoothie!!!
    Here are some recent variations/tips I've learned about the smoothie -
    **Adding in 1 TBSP flax meal adds some great oils, and a nutty taste, and more fiber to the mix.

**Buy the bagged baby spinach when it goes on sale (ours goes for $1/bag sometimes) and freeze it - it works just as well, if not better, in the smoothie when it's frozen.

**If you make sure you have some protein in the drink, it will keep you fuller longer.
    posted on Southbeach-diet-plan .com

Thanks for that smoothie recipe surfer376! I try to do a simple smoothie every afternoon when my energy starts lagging - 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt and 3/4 cup frozen berries, about 1/4 cup flaxmeal, and some pomegranate juice from Trader Joe's or rice milk to make it more liquid. I like your ideas of adding whey powder to boost the protein and cocoa - now why didn't I ever think of adding cocoa??? That would be great with frozen raspberries. Lately we've been eating a lot of greens otherwise but I'll try the baby spinach idea as well.

I just made this recipe, as muffins, today and had a couple already. Really yummy! Moist, slightly dense, and filled with gooey chocolate chips (if you eat them warm or re-heat them like I did). The pumpkin flavor is subtle, and I think might be enhanced by a bit of cinnamon, which I'll add to my next batch. I used vanilla soy protein powder and mini chocolate chips. I left out the optional butter.

Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip Protein Bread

from Sunlight Cafe

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup soy protein powder
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (2 cups)
    2 large eggs
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F (325F for glass pan). Lightly spray a standard-sized loaf pan with nonstick spray.

Place the flour, protein powder, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a medium-sized bowl, and stir until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

In a second bowl, combine the pumpkin, eggs, vanilla, and optional melted butter, and stir with a whisk or a fork until uniform.

Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir from the bottom of the bowl until everything is thoroughly blended. The batter will be stiff.

Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, patting it into place with a dinner knife and shaping it so that it is gently mounded in the center. Bake in the center of the oven for 45 minutes (for a damper, more pudding-like bread) to 1 hour (for a drier loaf). Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then rap the pan sharply to remove the bread, and cool it on a rack for at least another 20 minutes before slicing.

Nice to see lots of recipes! Thanks for posting some that you already made and liked too!!
    Now, most of these recipes use soy protein powder, I have whey protein powder at home, does anyone have any input about substituting one for the other?
    I would like to try the "Pumpkin Chocolate-Chip Protein Bread" as muffins just as you did Pilgrim719, but do you think it would work with the whey powder??
    Thanks again for starting this thread, it is always good to have new recipes to try! (and the "to try list" keeps getting longer and longer... )
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by chipotle
    Thanks for that smoothie recipe surfer376! I try to do a simple smoothie every afternoon when my energy starts lagging - 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt and 3/4 cup frozen berries, about 1/4 cup flaxmeal, and some pomegranate juice from Trader Joe's or rice milk to make it more liquid. I like your ideas of adding whey powder to boost the protein and cocoa - now why didn't I ever think of adding cocoa??? That would be great with frozen raspberries. Lately we've been eating a lot of greens otherwise but I'll try the baby spinach idea as well.
    You are welcome Chipolte, I love these smoothies! My favorite is vanilla light soy milk with silken tofu, fresh frozen mango and banana, spinach , flax meal and splenda with some ice cubes. There are so many different ways you could make it. I love to get the bag of ripe bananas for 59 cents and freeze them for smoothies. I like your idea of pomegranate juice.

I have recently been turned onto pomegranate arils, been putting them in the freezer and adding them to oatmeal and yogurt, wonder if they would be good in the smoothie, lot's of fiber!

Chari

I am on a low carb diet and I have a couple of recipes some of you might like.

Here they are:

Low carb English Muffin

ENGLISH MUFFIN... 1 serving....

1/4 c Carbquik
    2 tbls flaxseed meal
    Half a pkt Splenda
    one 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein mix
    pinch of salt
    Mix with:
    1 egg
    2 tbls water
    1 tbls olive oil (or melted butter)

Mix well. (If too dry, add a splash of cream or water, but you don't want it too sticky)... I use a 2 cup Tupperware container... nuke on high for 2 minutes or so... I like to make a round one, just like an English muffin... turn onto a plate to cool (will just fall out)... then slice and toast!!! Sometimes I get 2 slices, sometimes 3 or 4, depending on how high it rises... Carbquik has baking powder in it already... so do not need to add. So good with S/Free jam or jelly!

Pumpkin Muffin LC

2 T. flax meal
    2 T. almond meal
    1/2 t. baking powder + dash of salt
    1/4 t. pumpkin pie spices
    1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
    1 large egg
    2 T. pumpkin (NOT pie filling!)
    2 T. DaVinci French Vanilla Sweetner

Mix dry ingredients in a plastic bowl, add egg, pumpkin and sweetner.
    Mix well and microwave for 1-2 minutes. Cool and frost...

Frosting: 2 oz. cream cheese, and 5 drops of diluted sweetzfree, or a sprinkling of splenda. Your choice

This was so good. I cut this in half, like you would frost a two layer cake.
    I ate one last night and saved the other for breakfast this morning.

Entire recipe breaks down like this (fitday)
    Total carbs: 17 Fiber: 7 Calories: 277.......Now, if you eat half of it, and take away the fiber....it is much less
    Net Carbs: 5 Calories: 138.5

Cooking with whey protein powder

Here's a swell website where most of the recipies use whey and alternatives to wheat: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-recipes.html