Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with lots of leftover barbecue chicken?

What to do with lots of leftover barbecue chicken?

We had about 25 of DS's friends over for dinner Thursday night. It was sort of a last minute thing, so I just bought barbecue from the boys' favorite barbecue joint. Lesson learned--college boys eat LOTS of brisket and sausage. They don't touch the chicken. So I have an entire large pan of leftover barbecue chicken. Any suggestions on what to do with it? I figured some I would use in a chicken chili of some sort. Other ideas, especially for entertaining? Can I cut it up and freeze it? How long will it keep like that. I am a little perplexed because it's barbecue chicken and am worried about how that will impact its use in other dishes. This BB is always so full of wonderful ideas, I figured I would turn to the experts. TIA!

Here are a couple of CL recipes you could use. I thought there was an older recipe that used bbq chicken and pasta but I can't seem to locate it. BBQ chicken pizza is great too!

Barbecued Chicken Hash
    From Cooking Light

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    4 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
    3 1/2 cups frozen hash browns
    3/4 cup water
    1/2 cup barbecue sauce
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
    1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced

Preheat oven to 375°

Heat oil in a large cast-iron or heavy skillet over high heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and carrot; sauté 1 1/2 minutes. Add chicken and next 7 ingredients (chicken through salt); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and jalapeño; bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 279(30% from fat); FAT 9.3g (sat 3.3g,mono 4.3g,poly 1g); PROTEIN 25.1g; CHOLESTEROL 59mg; CALCIUM 212mg; SODIUM 816mg; FIBER 1.9g; IRON 1.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 23.9g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 2003

"Barbecued" Chicken-and-Black Bean Burritos
    From Cooking Light

"This dish is one that everyone--including my three children--loves, and it has plenty of good nutrients." --CL Reader

1 tablespoon olive oil
    3/4 pound skinned, boned chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/3 cup bottled barbecue sauce
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
    4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
    1/4 cup low-fat sour cream

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, and garlic; cook 8 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring constantly. Stir in barbecue sauce and beans. Sprinkle with cheese; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; top each with 1 tablespoon sour cream, and roll up.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 burrito)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 458(26% from fat); FAT 13.3g (sat 4.1g,mono 5.6g,poly 2.4g); PROTEIN 34.9g; CHOLESTEROL 65mg; CALCIUM 243mg; SODIUM 744mg; FIBER 4.8g; IRON 3.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 49.1g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 1999
    Last edited by sneezles; 12-16-2006 at 05:34 PM.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

BBQ chicken freezes well, believe it or not. We have frozen quarters and even halves, then thawed it in the refrigerator and wrapped it in foil to reheat.
    Margaret

Hi Romandub,
    Well barbeque chicken is one of my favorite things- I can't believe those boys left it!!
    Health Magazine had a recipe some years back that I've used a number of times and enjoyed. It wouldn't be for company, but would work for a quick lunch. They called for shredded turkey, but I've used it with chicken. Bbq chicken would be great.
    All you do is caramelize two sliced onions, add some kick (minced chipotle chile or whatever), add 2 cups shredded chicken, add 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard, add 2/3 cup smoky bbq sauce (they called for bottled but of course you could make your own), and heat through. Warm 6 large tortillas. Have 3 cups washed fresh torn spinach on hand. Then divide the chicken among the tortillas, and top with 1/2 cup spinach each, and roll up. It's good!

-dreamer

It would make a killer pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    It would make a killer pizza.
    My thought, exactly/especially with some smoked gouda or smoked mozzarella cheese!

Jane
    Last edited by JaneStarr; 12-16-2006 at 10:30 PM.

ooh- I love bbq chicken on salad with corn and avocado.

It will freeze well.

Looks like some great ideas. OK, now I am craving BBQ chicken

California Pizza Kitchen's BBQ Chicken Pizza

My all-time favorite pizza.

California Pizza Kitchen's BBQ Chicken Pizza

BBQ Chicken:
    10 oz boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    1 Tbs olive oil
    2 Tbs favorite BBQ sauce (we use a spicy-sweet sauce)
    Pizza:
    1 recipe Basic Pizza Dough
    Cornmeal, semolina or flour for handling
    1/2 cup of favorite BBQ sauce
    2 Tbs shredded smoked Gouda cheese
    2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
    1/4 small red onion, sliced into 1/8-inch pieces
    2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro

1. To make BBQ Chicken: In a large frying pan, cook the chicken in olive oil over medium-high heat until just cooked, 5 to 6 minutes. Do not overcook. Set aside in the refrigerator until chilled through. Once chilled, coat the chicken with 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce; set aside in the refrigerator.
    2. To make the Pizza: Place the pizza stone in the center of the oven and preheat to 500 degrees F for one hour before cooking pizzas.
    3. Use a large spoon to spread ¼ cup BBQ sauce evenly over the surface of the prepared dough within the rim. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon smoked Gouda cheese over the sauce. Cover with ¾ cup shredded Mozzarella.
    4. Distribute half the chicken pieces evenly over the cheese. Place approximately 18 to 20 pieces of red onion over the surface. Sprinkle an additional ¼ cup Mozzarella over the top of the pizza.
    5. Transfer the pizza to the oven; bake until the crust is crisp and golden and the cheese at the center is bubbly, 8 to 10 minutes. When the pizza is cooked, carefully remove it from the oven; sprinkle 1 tablespoon cilantro over the hot surface. Slice and serve.
    6. Repeat with remaining ingredients for a second pizza. (The 2 pizzas may be prepared simultaneously if you are careful in placing the pizzas at opposite corners of your pizza stone.)

Yield: (2) 9" pizzas
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Shred it, toss with a little more sauce to make pulled chicken sandwiches - you could serve it with coleslaw if you want.

It should be fine in the freezer for awhile too.

Thank you all for these great ideas!!! I am definitely inspired and am now viewing these leftovers in a whole new light! Thanks so much!