Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast chicken!

Roast chicken!

One of my modest culinary aims is to be able to make a perfect roasted chicken.
    What (non-vegetarian) person doesn't appreciate a flavorful roast chicken, moist with crispy skin? How can one not want to feature that along with garlicky mashed potatoes, balsamic-roasted shallots, and hazelnut green beans for a welcoming supper? (Heck, we don't even SAY "supper" where I live, but a roast chicken seems to beg the word.)

DBF is out of town, and I keep picking up those nice "Aaron's" kosher chix at Trader Joe's, to experiment with this roasing idea and that one.

At least as important as being able to *roast* the chicken, is the ability to carve it. I'm definitely making progress on that front, though still a few birds from being comfortable carving table-side.
    But I highly recommed this program of roasting a chicken every day (and taking notes of what you do) until you get is JUST right! Haven't hit perfection yet, but I'm well on my way.....
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

In doing this are you using recipes or just basically techniques? I always wanted to try the blasted chicken recipe that I have seen Sara Moulton do on her show.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

After doing a quick search I came back to add it here.

Classic Blasted Chicken Recipe Courtesy of Sara Moulton

3 1/2 pound chicken, rinsed and patted dry
    Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper and place in a roasting pan. Roast for 45 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the thigh is pricked with a skewer. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let stand for 15 minutes.

Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 25 minutes
    Cook Time: 45 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings

Episode#: CL9310
    Copyright 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Canice, I've been meaning to try the Zuni Roast Chicken, everyone says it is really good. The only problem is you have to let the naked seasoned chicken sit for 2-3 days in your refrigerator. That's my stumbling block on the project

http://www.thegoodcook.com/doc/full_...on_name=Recipe
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

I roast chickens at 450 degrees for 14-15 minutes per pound. Perfect every time!

tea4one, I haven't tried the Sara Moulton recipe, though I've meant to. I feel like I'm making good progress now, and don't really want to play with that aspect (I bake it at 475 for the first 15 minutes and then turn it down to 375). I'm not using recipes, but work from notes I picked up on a roast chicken thread a couple of years ago, and my own improvisations.

I've always wondered whether stuffing the cavity of the bird truly adds flavor (I use lemon, garlic, herbs - the usual stuff) and then just last week read in Bill Buford's book "Heat" that the real reason to stuff a bird is to increase the cooking time, allowing the fat to render properly. Who knew!

jadenegro, do you object to leaving the uncovered chicken in the fridge that long (I leave mine pretty much all day) or is it the planning ahead part?

Canice, I have always wanted to try the Sara Moulton recipe but remember that the oven has to be really clean and mine never is, at least I don't think it is ever clean enough to do this method of cooking. Who would want a fire in the oven just to try something like this? I normally just do mine at 350 until done.

Hey, tea4one! If you're still online....
    I'm roasting yet ANOTHER chicken right now! I accidentally left my oven on "broil" after having crisped the zucchini/rice casserole, so it kind of messed up my timing. But still - my oven's not all that clean and I've had no problem "blasting" chickens. I *did* have to open a few windows to air out the place, but the chicken is looking (and smelling) wonderful! And no sign of fire hazard so far......

Then Maybe I will try this and make chicken broth and chicken soup with the carcass. Glad to hear it is possible. I have to go find my MC software, another thread that I am about to post about!!

Thumbs up Julia Child's Roast Chicken

Hi Canice. Here's one I did for a recent SGOTW. Very moist flesh, easy to carve (pretty much falls off the bone). Takes a while, but worth the wait.

Poulet in Cocotte (Whole Chicken Roasted in a Casserole)
    1 41/2 to 5 lb roasting chicken, with giblets.
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dried tarragon or 3 - 4 sprigs fresh.
    3 tbsp celery tops, minced.
    3 tbsp each minced onions and carrots.
    2 tbsp softened butter
    Remove giblets and excess fat from the chicken cavity. Fold the wings under the back of the chicken. Sprinkle salt and tarragon in the cavity, add the vegetables and 1 tbsp butter. Tuck the liver into the cavity if you wish. Skewer, tie or truss the drumsticks and tail piece together. Dry the chicken thoroughly and massage the skin with the remaining 1 tbsp butter.

Olive oil or veg oil.
    3 tbsp softened butter.
    1/2 cup each of sliced carrots, onion and celery.
    Giblets.
    1/2 tsp salt.
    1 tsp dried tarragon or 3 - 4 sprigs fresh.
    (Preheat oven to 325 degrees)

In a large skillet, heat enough of the oil to coat the bottom of the pan to hot but not smoking. Place the chicken, breast side down, into the skillet and brown for a minute or 2. Turn the chicken on its side and brown and continue turning the chicken until browned on all sides. (This takes about 8 - 10 minutes) While the chicken is browning add 2 tbsp butter to a casserole dish large enough to hold the chicken and cook the vegetables, over moderate heat, covered until tender.
    When the chicken is browned, push the veggies in the casserole to the sides of the casserole and place the chicken, breast side up, into the casserole. Spread remaining tbsp of butter over the chicken and sprinkle the veggies and chicken with the tarragon and salt.
    Place a piece of aluminum foil over the breast and then put the lid on the casserole. Set the casserole in the lower third of the preheated oven and cook the chicken until tender, about 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 and 1/2 hours. Remove chicken from the roaster and place it on a cutting board, covered with foil to rest for 10 - 15 minutes.

1/4 cup port.
    Remove the vegetables and giblets from the roasting pan, and skim off the fat from the pan. Pour about 1/4 cup port into the juices in the pan and cook until juices are syrupy. Serve sauce in a boat if chicken is to be carved at the table. If chicken is sliced in the kitchen, pour the sauce over the chicken slices.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    jadenegro, do you object to leaving the uncovered chicken in the fridge that long (I leave mine pretty much all day) or is it the planning ahead part?
    It's a combination of both...If I wanted the chicken for Sunday dinner, I'd have to prepare it on Thursday and then work around a naked chicken in my fridge all weekend. Unfortunately I have fallen a total victim of all the chicken is dangerous propoganda and I just haven't been able to do it yet. Do you think one day is effective? I'm sure I could do it for one day.
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

the best roasted chicken I ever had was a recipe I got off of epicurious.com

It was pretty simple, just chicken and salt, and high heat. It makes for a very messy oven, but it turned out just perfect. It is called My Favorite Simple Roast Chicken.

I will post the link, and of course read the reviews. That is always the best part of an epicurious.com recipe!!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/231348

ETA: this is the Thomas Keller recipe mentioned in other posts......

Hope you like it!

Meg
    Last edited by mgs; 01-01-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: btw

Awhile ago I tested about a dozen recipes for roasting chickens and these were the best of the bunch.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Golden Oven-Roasted Chicken (Tyler Florence)

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 whole 3 to 4 pound chicken
    salt and freshly ground pepper -- to taste
    1/4 cup unsalted butter -- softened
    1 lemon -- cut in half
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/8 cup fresh chopped herbs such as tarragon, thyme, savory or rosemary
    1 onion -- cut in half
    2 garlic cloves -- smashed
    fresh whole herbs such as tarragon leaves, thyme and savory sprigs
    2 cups water
    1/4 cup sherry

Preheat oven to 450.

Rinse the chicken under cold water, inside and out. Pat dry thoroughly with paper towels. Season the body cavity generously with salt and pepper.

In a small bowl mix together the butter, lemon juice and chopped hers. Spread half this mixture under the skin over the breastbone and rub the remaining butter mix all over the chicken.

Put the lemon, onion, garlic and whole herbs inside the bird. Tie the legs together with twine to help hold its shape.

Place the chicken breast side down, on a V-rack, in roasting pan. Cooking the chicken on a rack helps make its skin crisp and keeps it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Pour water in the roasting pan to prevent the fat drippings from burning and smoking.

Roast the chicken for about 20 minutes, then carefully turn the bird over breast side up. Baste the chicken all over with the pan drippings.

Reduce the oven temperature to 375 and return the pan to the oven. Continue to roast and baste until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165 to 170, approximately 2 hours.

Remove the chicken to a platter and let stand for 15 minutes so the juices settle back into the meat before carving.

To make gravy: Add the sherry to the drippings in the roasting pan and deglaze, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add hot water and a tablespoon of Bisto mixed with 1/2 cup cold water. Simmer until slightly thickened.

Source:
    ""Tyler Florence", http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_15133,00.html"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 555 Calories; 46g Fat (79.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 124mg Cholesterol; 30mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 9 Fat.

NOTES : MY NOTES: Sept/05 - Excellent flavour. Followed the directions but scaled down the original recipe for the smaller chicken. Used a V-rack but the chicken didn't brown on the bottom. Wouldn't bother next time. The gravy was delicious with the sherry. The 4 lb. chicken took approximately 2 hours. It wasn't browning that well at first so I turned the oven up to 400 for the last half hour.

OTHER COOKS' SUGGESTIONS:
    1. Rub skin with softened butter mix and put in fridge for 10 minutes. Rub again with softened butter before putting in oven. (TV chef)
    2. Don't spread butter/herb mix under skin. Just rub all over the outside of the skin. Arrange onion slices in centre of roasting pan, or use a rack, place chicken on top breast side up and roast in preheated 400 oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, basting every 20 minutes. Cover with foil and reduce heat to 350 if browning too quickly. (The Star)

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Marie's Roast Chicken

Recipe By :

1 whole chickens -- (3 1/2 lb) apprx
    1 stalk celery
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 medium onion -- sliced
    4 sprigs parsley
    salt and pepper
    4 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 450.

Sprinkle salt and pepper inside and outside of chicken. Place celery, garlic, onion and parsley in cavity of chicken. Brush all over with butter.

Cut up additional celery and onion and place under chicken.

Place in roasting pan and bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

Reduce oven heat to 425 and continue roasting until leg pulls apart easily - approximately 45 minutes to an hour or so more.

Drippings make wonderful gravy.

Note: If chicken is browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil.

Description:
    "Makes a wonderful moist chicken with crispy skin. Vegetables stuffed inside cavity add great flavor."
    Source:
    "http://www.recipezaar.com/37054"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3764 Calories; 281g Fat (68.1% calories from fat); 267g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 1482mg Cholesterol; 1683mg Sodium. Exchanges: 36 Lean Meat; 5 Vegetable; 33 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : MY NOTES: Oct/05 - Very good. Moist and lots of flavour. Took a bit longer than an hour to bake at 425. Basted every 20 minutes with pan juices. Poured about 1 1/2 cups of cider around the chicken to add moisture and flavour when basting. Rubbed softened butter all over the skin and sprinkled with salt, pepper, and seasonings (rosemary, thyme, etc.). Sprinkled the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper. Stuffed the cavity with a lemon, minced garlic, fresh herbs, an onion and celery. The gravy was wonderful.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Roast "Sticky" Chicken

Recipe By :

4 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 large roasting chicken
    2 large onions -- peeled and quartered

DAY 1: Blend all spices together and set aside. Remove neck and giblets from chicken cavity, rinse well inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Rub with spice mixture, both inside and out. Wrap in a resealable heavy bag and refrigerate overnight.

DAY 2: Remove from plastic bag and place in a shallow baking pan. Stuff with quartered onions, lemon, and fresh herbs. Roast uncovered in a 250 oven for 5 hours. (This is not an error). If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it.

Baste with drippings every 30 minutes after the first hour.

Let rest for 10 minutes before carving.

Description:
    "Beautiful and delicious, this incredibly moist roasted Chicken puts Kenny Roger's Roasters, Boston Market, and other rotisserie style chickens to shame! Please don't let the word "overnight" mislead you; for actual hands-on preparation, this is a
    Quick-N-Easy way to impress Sunday dinner guests!"
    Source:
    "Recipezaar #8782"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3014 Calories; 213g Fat (64.7% calories from fat); 233g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 975mg Cholesterol; 9447mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 32 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 24 Fat.

NOTES : MY NOTES: Sept/05 - Excellent! Moist. Great flavour. I found it a bit salty but seemed to be the only one who did. Chicken (3.5 lbs) was done in 4 hours. Added a bit of water and red wine to pan after the first hour so there'd be enough juice for basting. Set chicken on a "rack" of sliced Vidalia onions, which gave a nice flavour to the gravy. Strained the onions out before serving. Try rubbing the spices under the skin too. The skin was delicious!

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Sadie,

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3014 Calories; 213g Fat (64.7% calories from fat); 233g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 975mg Cholesterol; 9447mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 32 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 24 Fat.

That scared me! (Until I read the number of servings = O). Whew!

PSYCHO CHICKEN (Gail's)

How could you not have this recipe? It is infamous!!! When I think of roasted chicken, this is our favorite! But I am now printing out this thread, they all sound great!!
    PSYCHO CHICKEN (Gail's)

Whole chicken (a small one-- what are they, like 3 1/2 pounds?)
    Approx 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    Approx 1 tablespoon garlic, pressed
    Approx 1 tablespoon cider or malt vinegar
    Dry white wine (sauvignon blanc works well)
    Salt
    Freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Clean chicken and remove giblets. Hack chicken all over with the tip of a sharp chef's knife to make gashes. (Invariably I find the music to the shower scene in Psycho running through my mind, thus the name, Psycho Chicken-- and lest you think I am thoroughly deranged, this manner of slash and season is actually very common in Cuban cooking.)

In a small bowl, mix together thyme, garlic, salt, pepper and vinegar, and slather liberally on chicken, taking care that mixture gets into slits in the meat. Place chicken on rack in roasting pan (if you don't have a rack, no biggie-- throw the thing directly into the pan) and roast about 2 hours until golden and fragrant, basting every twenty or thirty minutes with a splash of wine and any juices in the pan. Your house will smell wonderful.

Now this is the crucial part, which will make or break the entire dish: If this is cooked properly, your chicken should be running with wonderful juices as you carve. Dredge each slice of carved meat in those juices before placing on platter-- the juices are loaded with garlic and herb flavor.

Roast Chicken Recipe from Bouchon Restaurant

I ate at Thomas Keller's restaurant, Bouchon, in November and had the absolute best roast chicken! It was also profiled in the the local newspaper. I couldn't figure out what made it so good. Imagine how surprised I was when I came upon the recipe in epicurious.com about one week later. It's called "My Favorite Simple Roast Chicken". 143 people have reviewed it, with 96% saying they'd make it again. It's so simple....I can't believe how good it is, with so very few ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by wintersummer View Post
    I ate at Thomas Keller's restaurant, Bouchon, in November and had the absolute best roast chicken! It was also profiled in the the local newspaper. I couldn't figure out what made it so good. Imagine how surprised I was when I came upon the recipe in epicurious.com about one week later. It's called "My Favorite Simple Roast Chicken". 143 people have reviewed it, with 96% saying they'd make it again. It's so simple....I can't believe how good it is, with so very few ingredients.

DH gave me the Bouchon cookbook for Christmas and I made this for dinner last night. It was divine - hands down the best roast chicken I've ever made. I'm making stock right now with the leftover carcass and dark meat. I took a little taste and it's yummy!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    What (non-vegetarian) person doesn't appreciate a flavorful roast chicken, moist with crispy skin? How can one not want to feature that along with garlicky mashed potatoes, balsamic-roasted shallots, and hazelnut green beans for a welcoming supper?
    I know, I know... It's me. ...and it has NOTHING to do with what you're really asking-- but I've got to tell you that I'm a non-vegetarian person who doesn't appreciate roast chicken particularly-- and the idea of pairing it with mashed potatoes makes me go all shivery and green.

That said, I've found that leaving the chicken unwrapped in the fridge for a day before cooking allows the skin to dry out (and hence crisp) more, and turning the chick during the roasting process also seems to help.

Isn't it strange that the psycho chicken lady doesn't particularly like roast chicken? Who'da thunk?

Will slink away now. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanL View Post
    How could you not have this recipe? It is infamous!!! When I think of roasted chicken, this is our favorite! But I am now printing out this thread, they all sound great!!
    PSYCHO CHICKEN (Gail's)...
    Susan, Psycho Chicken was the very first roast chicken I ever made! Haven't had one in a looong time, but it may be time to do it again!

wintersummer, isn't November a beautiful time to be at Bouchon? I've been just twice, and each time was the day after Thanksgiving. The colors on the vines, the light low in the sky, the roads are largely free of traffic...*sigh*
    Didn't have roast chicken either time, but I'll add Keller's technique to my list!

(I just put a nice quarter chicken in a slow oven to gently reheat. How to read all these great recipes and tips without HAVING to have chicken?!)

Quote Originally Posted by SusanL View Post
    PSYCHO CHICKEN (Gail's)

Whole chicken (a small one-- what are they, like 3 1/2 pounds?)
    Approx 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    Approx 1 tablespoon garlic, pressed
    Approx 1 tablespoon cider or malt vinegar
    Dry white wine (sauvignon blanc works well)
    Salt
    Freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Clean chicken and remove giblets. Hack chicken all over with the tip of a sharp chef's knife to make gashes. (Invariably I find the music to the shower scene in Psycho running through my mind, thus the name, Psycho Chicken-- and lest you think I am thoroughly deranged, this manner of slash and season is actually very common in Cuban cooking.)
    OK; I don't get it--wouldn't those gashes cause all the juices to come out of the meat during the cooking, making the meat (esp. white) really dry?

(Would be worth it for the humor value of the name alone! )

For Ina Garten's roasted chicken, plus others I've done (very basic, probably 350 degrees or so), I just put lemon, onion, & celery in the cavity--and they ALWAYS take longer than the recipe says!! It's not bread stuffing, so does anyone know why this would happen? (Oven temp is fine, etc.)
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    OK; I don't get it--wouldn't those gashes cause all the juices to come out of the meat during the cooking, making the meat (esp. white) really dry?

(Would be worth it for the humor value of the name alone! )
    That would be a logical conclusion, yes.

However, it appears that the chicken doesn't know a thing about logic.

"Memories of a Cuban Kitchen" uses this technique over and over again-- as have I for many years and with very good results. Not being a particularly scientific sort, I can only say that it seems that because the stabbing is uniformly done pre-cooking, the heat must apparently in some manner be able to penetrate into these areas and seal off. In any case, you won't see anything remotely akin to what happens when you puncture meat during the cooking process and juices escape.

i like the Barefoot Contessa methof of stuffing a lemon, onion and herbs in the cavity, covering the top with some butter and roasting at 425 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. She does use a 5-6 lb chicken, and my kosher chickens are usually around 3 1/2 lbs. That means that I can only use 1/2 of a lemon, and 1/2 of an onion in the cavity.

But the chicken is fabulous.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice
    What (non-vegetarian) person doesn't appreciate a flavorful roast chicken, moist with crispy skin? How can one not want to feature that along with garlicky mashed potatoes....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gail
    I know, I know... It's me. ...and it has NOTHING to do with what you're really asking-- but I've got to tell you that I'm a non-vegetarian person who doesn't appreciate roast chicken particularly-- and the idea of pairing it with mashed potatoes makes me go all shivery and green.
    Well, I guess that answers THAT!

I wonder if (this sounds kind of gross) the Psycho chicken doesn't kind of reseal in baking? Whatever the explanation, it sure is moist and tasty!
    I still love the fact that a few weeks after making that, I put rub on another chicken before DBF and I headed out for a day of errands. "Is that Psycho Chicken?" he asked. "No," I said, "It's Drive-Your-Neighbors-Nuts Chicken" [from TerryTX]. That was early on in my BB career, and he DID kind of wonder!

Quote Originally Posted by jadenegro View Post
    It's a combination of both...If I wanted the chicken for Sunday dinner, I'd have to prepare it on Thursday and then work around a naked chicken in my fridge all weekend. Unfortunately I have fallen a total victim of all the chicken is dangerous propoganda and I just haven't been able to do it yet. Do you think one day is effective? I'm sure I could do it for one day.
    The Zuni roast chicken is our favorite roast chicken hands down. I usually do it for a day (I salt it the night before I plan to roast it). AND...I'm sure this probably impedes the process somehow, but I wrap it back up in saran wrap and then foil, plop it in a pan and stick it back in the fridge. Despite all that, it STILL makes a marvelous chicken. Three keys: the salting, the high roasting temp, the small bird (skin to meat ratio). Super crisp skin, and flavorful meat that seems never to dry out.

Since making a roast chicken is on my "things to do in 2007" list what a timely thread! I buy typically skinless/boneless chicken .... so time to jump in and make the whole chicken for once. Thanks for all the great ideas - my printer is humming along right now.

I do have a quick question --- I did make Giada's Balsamic Chicken (can't remember full name) with chicken breasts with skin last week (thought it was great by the way). The oven temp was 400. It did a lot of spurting/spitting in the oven (no smoke at least!). I know its from the skin/fat. I did have the chicken in baking pans with a lot of room -- not sure if it would have less spitting etc if there was less exposed space in the LeCreuset baking pans. So, since I would imagine this is likely to happen when I start my roasted chicken recipes, is there anything that you would suggest to reduce it ... or do you just go with is, and realize having to clean your oven is a small price for a great chicken. I was just afraid that it might get smoky (catch on fire?) etc.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    having to clean your oven is a small price for a great chicken.
    That's pretty much my take on it. :-) My place does get smoky with some recipes, but it's not really a problem.

As for catching fire, it's never crossed my mind before this thread. My current apartment has a self-cleaning oven, which seems to work by burning off any and all accumulated gunk. I can't imagine that there's much real chance of stuff catching fire (though this would not be the first time I learned something here if there is!).

Crispy chicken YUM

When making what my kids and friends call a beer can chicken (that isnt at all the traditional beer can chicken but it did start out that way I modified for a crowd and use pcs instead of a whole chicken), I start it on 500 2nd rack down almost broiling distance. I put garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and finish with a total covering of chicken rotisseri spice ( the best spice ever) and a small amount of chick stock. Mostly I use thighs bec thats what the kids like, place it top side up first. Place under heat until really crisp and blackened/browned. Turn it over and and sprinkle on the same spices on each pc and brown again. Turn it back over place it on the middle rack of the oven and turn the oven down to 250. This is where the work comes in but this is what makes the dish. Baste it every 15/20 minutes for about 2 hours. Right when you are ready to serve it turn the heat back up and crisp it up. If you have too much liquid I take it out and reserve it bec sometimes you need to keep basting. It also makes a nice dipping sauce for the chicken after you cool it and take the grease off.

I roasted a chicken on Friday and combined some of the techniques mentioned here.
    WOW, the first time EVER that I got a really nice crusty skin on my bird.

I left it thawing in the fridge for a few days and left it in the bag till an hour before I was going to cook it.
    Rinsed, dried it, then seasoned lightly. I used kosher salt mixed with garlic powder (not sure what the ratio was as I just do it by eye). Sprinkled with pepper...this was all inside and out and I didn't bother pushing back any skin.

I had 2 fresh sprigs of rosemary I stuffed into the cavity.
    Set it on a v-rack at 450 for 1 hour. It could have probably gone another 10 minutes or so, but it was at 175 already. I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes.
    GORGEOUS. Tender, juicy and the skin was actually worth eating (not that I did).
    I'm not denying that I enjoy a good spice rub, but this was one of those birds that was free-range and pecked for its food. I think store bought birds may benefit from large amounts of spices, but this simple process let the flavor of the true chicken through.

THANKS Canice for starting this thread!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    ....I did make Giada's Balsamic Chicken (can't remember full name) with chicken breasts with skin last week (thought it was great by the way). The oven temp was 400. It did a lot of spurting/spitting in the oven (no smoke at least!). I know its from the skin/fat. I did have the chicken in baking pans with a lot of room -- not sure if it would have less spitting etc if there was less exposed space in the LeCreuset baking pans. So, since I would imagine this is likely to happen when I start my roasted chicken recipes, is there anything that you would suggest to reduce it ... or do you just go with is, and realize having to clean your oven is a small price for a great chicken. I was just afraid that it might get smoky (catch on fire?) etc.

Thanks,
    I hate to come across as some slovenly thing, but honestly, I never gave a thought to what roasting a chicken might be doing to my oven! I use a gas oven at both my and DBF's places, and I suppose the "threat" of fire is greater with gas than with electricity. But still...no, never lots of smoke or a fire scare. Nor do I feel compelled to clean the oven after roasting a li'l ol' chicken. Maybe I'm missing something? It definitely sputters and spits, but I never saw that as a big deal .

My latest, basic mode is to pat dry a small kosher bird and let it sit, uncovered, on a dinner plate in the 'fridge for 4-10 hours.
    Then sprinkle the cavity with s&p and stuff it with halves of garlic heads and lemons, as well as fresh herbs (thyme, parsley or rosemary). I rub the outside well with butter and then sprinkle it with s&p and loads of dried herbs. (If I'm feeling decadent, I mash butter, garlic, Dijon and fresh thyme or tarragon and rub it UNDER the skin, and then on top). Truss and put on a v-rack in a roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes at 450F. Reduce heat to 375 and bake another 15/pound or until the inner thigh registers 172F. Remove, cover, and let rest 10 minutes.
    ...but that's just for today! More roast chickens means differing ideas later!

Here is one more: Made it last evening, Foster Farm Whole Body Chicken .59cents per pound!

LEMON-HERB ROASTED CHICKEN 1

Recipe By :Cooking Light 11/00 page 206
    Categories : Low Fat Poultry

2 Lemons
    2 Tablespoons Oregano -- Dried
    1 Tablespoon Basil -- Dried
    2 Teaspoons Black Pepper -- Cracked
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1 Teaspoon Olive oil
    1 Clove Garlic -- Minced
    1 3 Pound Roasting chicken

Peel and section lemons, reserving the peels. Combine lemon sections, oregano, and next 5 ingredients (oregano thru garlic) in a bowl, and mash with a fork.

Rinse chicken, dispose of neck and giblets. Loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub lemon mixture under and over the loosened skin. Tie ends of legs together. Place lemon peel in body cavity. Place chicken breast side up in open roasting pan. DO NOT COVER!.

Roast @375 about an hour or until tested with a meat thermometer the inside reaches 180!

Yield:
    "1 Whole Chicken"
    Start to Finish Time:
    "1:35"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2212 Calories; 161g Fat (66.5% calories from fat); 170g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 716mg Cholesterol; 2804mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 23 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 19 Fat.

NOTES : We liked it, its a keeper!
    Can make this WITHOUT the claypot too! Prepare as above, BUT placeo on rack in roaster in 375 convection oven, and roast for 20 minutes per pound. Just as good, and a lot less bother.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Curleytop